Which infant seat would you recommend and why?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Either the Keyfits or the Snugride 32/35. Easy to install (lockoffs), easy to use, long lasting.

The longest lasting infant seat, also with a lockoff, is the Safety 1st Onboard 35. I haven't had a chance to install one, though.

Wendy

I prefer the SR32/35 or SS1 because I have yet to get a bad install in any vehicle with that base. The Chicco does have a neat LATCH system though.

If you are going to be using a seatbelt to install then I would go with the Graco because of the excellent lock off...IMO the Keyfit's seatbelt lock off is pretty pointless- just slots that you put the belt through and not very substantial. I also think the Chicco fabric choices are too bland and you see 1000 seats/strollers the same as yours everywhere you go.

I am in love with the Graco SR32 in the Rittenhouse design :eek: I hope I have a child while they are still making it! it's just beautiful.

Also- the Graco seats will last longer than the Chicco...I doubt that any baby will make it anywhere near 30lbs in the Chicco...the shell is almost identical to their 22lb limit Keyfit.

laeta904

We loved our Keyfit30, and frequently recommend it to other parents.

Pros: Super easy to install, the fabric we had "Extreme" wiped clean very easily, will definitely be able to use for second child (very little visible wear)

Cons: heavy (not positive how it compares to other infant seats with similar or higher weight limits), doesn't work with some strollers

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Um, the Keyfit lockoff has been crash tested just like the SR32/35/SS1's. I don't know why on earth that wouldn't work as a lockoff? I've never ever heard anyone say that the lockoff failed in a crash-- and I've known several people who had Keyfits in with the lockoff in a pretty serious crash. It's not a flimsy base or lockoff AT ALL, the construction is very solid.

I find it much easier to use than the lockoffs on the other infant seats, love it. LATCH system is also awesome. It's by far my favorite.

The OnBoards WITH the newborn/preemie insert and the lockoff are awesomeness (though again not quite as easy to install as the Keyfit.) Beware, some of them are now sold WITHOUT those features. Which sucks.

I do like the SR32/35/SS1 as well. I have a little less love for it than the OnBoard because you ALWAYS seem to see newborns sliding forward in it-- I'd say at least half the newborns if not more that I see in the Graco infant seats need a crotch roll to keep them from sliding to get a proper fit.

I've not played with the Shuttle 33 but I do like the looks of it.

I didn't say that the Keyfit lock off was bad-I simply said that it's not as solid as the SR32/35 SS1 which is true... It may well perform as well in a crash test but I personally strongly prefer a seatbelt install with the Graco plus the Graco seats will last longer as the shell is bigger.

Cryssy Jane

I prefer the SR32/35 or SS1 because I have yet to get a bad install in any vehicle with that base. The Chicco does have a neat LATCH system though.

If you are going to be using a seatbelt to install then I would go with the Graco because of the excellent lock off...IMO the Keyfit's seatbelt lock off is pretty pointless- just slots that you put the belt through and not very substantial. I also think the Chicco fabric choices are too bland and you see 1000 seats/strollers the same as yours everywhere you go.

I am in love with the Graco SR32 in the Rittenhouse design :eek: I hope I have a child while they are still making it! it's just beautiful.

Also- the Graco seats will last longer than the Chicco...I doubt that any baby will make it anywhere near 30lbs in the Chicco...the shell is almost identical to their 22lb limit Keyfit.

Um... I love the keyfit lockoff! I also love the keyfit patterns. They aren't too busy but are super easy to clean and don't feel like plastic like a good majority of the newer graco covers. Oh... and here's Odin at exactly 30lbs, around 18/19 months in a keyfit 30:
IMG_0140.jpg

and here he is about the same time in a snug ride 32:
IMG_0191.jpg

ETA: his head isn't back in the first picture, but he had exactly 2 inches to the top of the shell in both seats. Roughly 14 inch torso, exactly 30 lbs. For the record I have owned both seats and prefer the Chicco Keyfit 30 over the sr32. I like it's ease of use, cute prints and it's not nearly as heavy as the sr32.

livsmum

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What's the general opinion on the Combi 33? Does the rebound bar get in th way of getting the baby in/out?

3acorns4Christy

I love our Keyfit 30.

For me, I love that it fits a variety of newborns with ease. Even down to my 4lb 3oz newborn, it fit her like it was made just for her.

I love that it's newborn inserts actually cradle newborns well, holding them in place instead of some other seats that have floppy head pads.

I have the Fuego and again love the bright red non-busy pattern.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC