Here's why you should buckle your boosters! (Accident pix)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
SHOULD... not shold! Ohmigosh maybe I hit my head harder than I thought, lol... Can that be fixed?

Before we begin, I'd like to admit I am a chronicly bad booster buckler. The kids can't buckle themselves, and I often can't get out to buckle the boosters in after the kids get out (ie, school dropoff.) So, they just don't get buckled.

My current setup has a booster pass side 3rd row, and the seat pass 2nd row alternates between a RF Scenera and a booster. When the Scenera is there, the booster lives up on my front passenger seat. This is the setup I had this morning, and thankfully, the last time I did that switch out, I took the three seconds to buckle that booster in.

I was headed to work this AM, and was in a (fairly serious) car accident. Thank God everyone was okay, but I went from travelling in the westbound lane, spun out, crossed the grass median, was hit twice eastbound (front passenger and rear bumper,) and ended up in the eastbound right berm. None of the kids were with me (thankfully!) and aside from a little bump on my head and some brusing where the belt was, I seem to be fine. Airbags didn't deploy (?). Baby's diaper bag was between the front seats and ended up on the front dash.

After I crawled out, I looked in the back of the van -- none of my seats have visible damage, but I found my unbuckled booster in this state:

1265128461.jpg

It goes without saying that from here on out, my unused boosters will ALWAYS be buckled. If J had been in that Radian, he would have gotten cracked by that booster, no question! And if the booster in my front seat (which is still sitting there like nothing had happened) hadn't been buckled, it would have undoubtedly been into ME, since all of my bruises are on my left side, and that's the way things shifted.

And this is the most serious damage:

downsize-10.jpg

Van is probably totaled, and obviously I need a whole bunch of new seats. (I had eight in there!!) My claims rep said they'd cut me a check for replacement, which sadly was about my second thought after it was clear that everyone was okay, and I realized my van was toast.

Of course the funniest part is, two days ago I finally "got around" to getting my seats checked, and Katie, Jess and I spent a good while installing everything. Ironic that my first and only tech install was the last install for those seats, and that van, lol!

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

Re: Here's why you shold buckle your boosters! (Accident pix)

So glad everyone is OK!!!

That is a good reminder to buckle those thing in so they don't become projectiles.

Have fun buying new seats :D

featherhead

Yeah, just imagine if it was a heavier booster, like a Monterey, or Frontier!

Carrie_R

Heavier booster definitely would have been worse. All of the weight in that booster is in the base, at least.

I was just shocked that it not only moved, but that it separated like that... it was upright with belt through the belt guide, and lap belt under the armrest. Along with the new vehicle and new seats, we're going to be getting a new booster buckling rule.

AtTheSouthDam

:eek:
I am so glad you are okay!

I admit I am horrible about bucling boosters as well. That is the biggest reason I got a Monterey. DH keeps the booster for his can in trunk because I know he will never remember either!

myliljunebugs

Oh my! :shock: I'm so glad you are okay! That is why I want the Monterey also even though DS wants a PW SG...too bad those don't latch.

Mommy0608

Thank goodness you're okay!! Wow, how scary! I'm glad that no one was injured by the flying booster... thank you for posting this, it's a great lesson for everyone. Hugs to you!

Jonah Baby

Guess I'll be putting my sewing machine in the trunk from now on...

Have fun seat shopping (and VAN SHOPPING!)
That's like a totally clean slate. You know you can get a good working combination!

Oh, I had JUST bought a MyRide, back in June/July, when I learned of ERF. It was in the car for NINE DAYS. It had been installed by one of our Tech's for only THREE of those days when my car got totaled! Also the first time I ever had a seat checked.
I had spent my last few dollars for that stinkin' carseat and the insurance didn't want to up-front the money for a replacement! They wanted me to buy a new seat and wait for the reimbursement. Pfft. *Always keep your receipts!*

babyherder

Glad your ok! And enjoy shopping for new seats. If that's a TB you're replacing I recommend lizards in line, let's go, rainbow butterflies, or abby. Actually, even if your old booster wasn't a TB I still recommend those TBs cause the patterns are so FUN!

Kat_Momof3

OMFG... that's it... I'm forcing Ruthie to use the second row... (I switched the seats this morning... SOB... she's outgrown the Nautilus...) just so I can have no excuse to not buckle her booster when it's not being used and so Jeffrey's Monterey can use latch.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Glad your ok! And enjoy shopping for new seats. If that's a TB you're replacing I recommend lizards in line, let's go, rainbow butterflies, or abby. Actually, even if your old booster wasn't a TB I still recommend those TBs cause the patterns are so FUN!

I'm pretty sure that's a Graco Air Booster in the pic. She'll have trouble replacing it - they were discontinued. :(

Carrie_R

That is an Airbooster. I looked for an additional one about two months ago and found several... while looking for replacement values last night, to get to my insurance company, there's pretty much nothing left. Found one for $149 CDN. Sad... my boys loved it. :(

I'm not sure the TB would fit my kids. One I know is too tall, the other is tall and solid (48"/62ish lbs at 6.) Plus my booster riders are all boys, lol, so no rainbows (sad for me.) I'll list a thread here later today (or tonight) to get some opinions, figure if I'm starting with a clean slate I might as well go with the "optimum" and then whiddle things down by budget, what fits in new van, etc.

Thank you all for all of the kind thoughts. JonahBaby, that's almost exactly my situation -- my Radian was two weeks old today, and the seats were two days past checked when I crashed. But I'll tell ya what, aside from that booster, they didn't move :) And yes... please put that sewing machine in the trunk!!! I had the baby's diaper bag with me (mom had forgotten it the day before) and as I said it ended up in front of me -- ??? Sewing machine would be much worse.

I dropped kids off at school this morning and then headed on my way -- made it two blocks before I realized I hadn't buckled boosters and had to stop. Old habits, I tell ya.

My crash made the front page of the paper in this sleepy town I work in. LOL. I would say slow news day, but they're all slow.

Also, when I said front passenger, meant front driver -- yeah big difference when driver is only one in vehicle.

Anyways I'm rambling now, thanks again to everyone for the well wishes. I'm sore today (and in places I wasn't yesterday,) but after having been back to the salvage yard I realize again how lucky I am. The floor under my footwell is buckled, it looks like ripples in the sand at the beach. But my knee was not crushed into the bolster (how that van crashes in tests,) so between that and fact that the van didn't roll I am so incredibly lucky. It could have been so, so much worse.

The rainbow is definitely that I get to pick new seats, one of my dcdads actually told one of my dcmoms that he bet I was happy that I could. LOL! They know me too well. (And the van was dying, so it doesn't make me too sad to get something newer, either.)

laeta904

I am not to booster age with my first LO, so hadn't even thought about buckling boosters before, but I will now. Thank you for posting, and I'm so glad you're ok.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My Big Lots still has Airboosters (2) for $55 last time I checked-- but they are like 3 years old at this point...

Carrie_R

I believe mine was DOM 10/2007. Truthfully I'm not too concerned about DOMs, since it's unlikely I'll have these kids to see through the useful life of the seats, and whenever I have my own children, they'll be nowhere near booster age at the expiry of even a 9yr expiration seat, kwim?

I got mine at Big Lots, too, but unfortunately none around here have any more. If you weren't so far away, I might beg you to send me a new one lol. I told the kids they could pick their own seats, but I'm gonna bet somebody wants a new one of those.

babyherder

Good luck finding some new airboosters! I'm glad I wasn't particularly attached to any of the seats that were in my car when it crashed. I'm actually excited to get something different.

Kat_Momof3

you know, if your next vehicle has latch, I'd get the SK Monterey and latch the stinker in..... and maybe either just get an inexpensive harmony backless from walmart or get a Recaro Vivo (something lower profile for the third row, assuming there are headrests)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC