Acura MDX or Audi Q7 and TWO Britax Frontier seats

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I went from a van (2005 Sienna Limited) to my MDX and size wise it isn't all that different. The only thing that was nicer with the van was that the kids could walk to the third row no matter how I had seat arranged in the middle row captains chairs.

But leg room wise and cargo wise I feel that are very comparable.

For day to day stuff the cargo room is fine in the MDX with the third row up. When I have to load a dog kennel or something big the MDX actually wins because I can put all three kids in the middle row and use the back for that whereas with the van there always had to be a kid in the third row since I had captains chairs.

ADS

mpk3

I went from a van (2005 Sienna Limited) to my MDX and size wise it isn't all that different. The only thing that was nicer with the van was that the kids could walk to the third row no matter how I had seat arranged in the middle row captains chairs.

But leg room wise and cargo wise I feel that are very comparable.

Dani, that's my car! I have a Sienna Limited- 2006.

Now I feel even more confident and I'm glad to hear that my perceptions are correct...the size/space really isn't all that different between Sienna and the MDX. As I mentioned above, it's the height that makes the van more spacious. The kids can walk to the back because of that height.

Your pictures really confirmed it for me that leg room and cargo room of the two cars are nearly identical. Glad to hear you agree...especially now that I know you had a Sienna before. :thumbsup:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Dani, that's my car! I have a Sienna Limited- 2006.

Now I feel even more confident and I'm glad to hear that my perceptions are correct...the size/space really isn't all that different between Sienna and the MDX. As I mentioned above, it's the height that makes the van more spacious. The kids can walk to the back because of that height.

Your pictures really confirmed it for me that leg room and cargo room of the two cars are nearly identical. Glad to hear you agree...especially now that I know you had a Sienna before. :thumbsup:

Haha that is too funny! You will definitely love the MDX and for those few times you wish it were bigger you will forgive it for its awesome handling and ability to beat most cars off the line.;) Say goodbye to not being able to speed up to merge on the freeway...farewell gutless Sienna.:D

It doesn't look like it, but the trunk space is significantly greater in the Sienna than the MDX. Particularly because the well gets bigger down below the seat area. If you can live with the MDX trunkspace, great. I make airport runs so there's no way it could work for me.

Sizewise, they are similar. However, actual access and ease of use greatly favors the minivan. The Acadia/Traverse has a much bigger trunk than the MDX so they more closely match a minivan in terms of useable space. However, those suvs are physically bigger and longer than a minivan/MDX.

mpk3

It doesn't look like it, but the trunk space is significantly greater in the Sienna than the MDX. Particularly because the well gets bigger down below the seat area. If you can live with the MDX trunkspace, great. I make airport runs so there's no way it could work for me.

You're right, the Sienna's trunk space goes deep. But, I haven't found it to be very significant. I never use our trunk. It stores 2 of our strollers and that's it. We're almost out of the stroller stage, so I won't be missing that extra space.

I see in your siggy that you have a Lexus. Do you know anything about the GX (I think that's what it is?) When I start my car shopping, I plan to test drive the smaller sized 7 passenger lexus (GX?), but it still seems a little bigger than what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your input! :)

jeno

Senior Community Member
Great pictures, Dani. I have lots on my computer that I should add here someday when I have time. I put 2 Frontiers in the 3rd row of my MDX often and have frequently installed up to 5 carseats w/o issue.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our MDX. We're going on 3 years with it.

MPK, I was between this and the Q7. In the end, I just wanted something a bit smaller. The vehicle we were selling was a HUGE Tahoe which drove me nuts and the Q7 exterior dims are not much different from that.

But if I had larger kids, I'd jump on the Q7 in a heartbeat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC