Acura MDX or Audi Q7 and TWO Britax Frontier seats

mpk3

We are looking to purchase a 7 passenger SUV or crossover Most likely it will be an Acura MDX, but we're looking at other options as well. (Audi Q7 and BMW X5...maybe some others.)

We will have two Britax Frontier seats and one Britax Marathon. Are these seats going to fit in any of these cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

I have a 2007 MDX and I :love: it. I haven't installed any Frontiers in it, but I have a Marathon and it was easy peasy. It was outboard passenger side, with LATCH. I don't think you'd have any problems installing it in any other position though.

mpk3

I have a 2007 MDX and I :love: it. I haven't installed any Frontiers in it, but I have a Marathon and it was easy peasy. It was outboard passenger side, with LATCH. I don't think you'd have any problems installing it in any other position though.

Thanks for your reply!

I am heavily leaning toward the MDX. I've been researching and it appears they're pretty "flexible" with carseats and different configurations. It's always helpful to hear stories from those who have one, so thank you!

Could you imagine two seats in the third row of your car? I would probably put the frontiers in the third row and the marathon in the second row.

Or, I might put my oldest in the very back. So, is it possible to access the third row with two carseats in the second row?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Could you imagine two seats in the third row of your car? I would probably put the frontiers in the third row and the marathon in the second row.
For practical reasons, the 3rd row in these vehicles aren't really meant for continual use. They are more of a "need to take some extra folks along tonight, we'll use the 3rd row". With the 3rd row up, you'll have very little cargo room. Even a big grocery shopping trip would be hard because you'd be stacking bags on top of one another as they tumbled out the back.

Additionally, there isn't a lot of leg room. And hour and a quarter ride on the highway and I was grumbling about lack of leg room. We had the return trip on the same day and that was too much for my legs, my knees were so sore. And I am not very tall. DD and my mom are both 5'2" tall and they are about the max size for back there for a trip of that length. I don't think they'd make it on a longer trip.

With the way a child restraint put the child forward of the seat back, I'd think that the kids wouldn't have much room especially since they aren't toddler size anymore. And there is not enough room for a rear-facing convertible back there.

If the regular travellers in the 3rd row are kids that fit the 3rd row without child restraints, it becomes more practical for regular use. Although you have to keep in mind the headrest issue I reference in a later post.

Or, I might put my oldest in the very back. So, is it possible to access the third row with two carseats in the second row?
The LATCH anchors for the middle seat are offset towards the driver's side. So, if you can fit the two seat in with LATCH on the driver's side and centre, you should still be able to fold down the passenger side to get to the 3rd row. If you're using the seat belt (which you'll need to over 40#) then it will depend on if you can offset the child restraint in the centre or if that centre child restraint is really narrow (like a Radian). I can't help with which seats will fit side by side as although we have two kids, only one has been in a child restraint since we got the MDX.

I love, love, love our MDX and it is the perfect vehicle for us, but if I needed to use the 3rd row daily, I don't suspect this would have been the vehicle we purchased.

Skip the BMW X5 if you need the 3rd a lot. It was the WORST 3rd row out of any of the 3rd row SUVs we looked at. It is low to the ground like a rumble seat (so older kids that fit without a child restraint can't even see over the 2nd row seat in front) and it had less room than the MDX offers. The DVD player was also in an annoying location as it covers the centre console when in use so the front passengers don't have access to that console while the kids are using the DVD player.

Can't give you any input on the Q7 as our Audi dealer didn't have one in at the time and we weren't going to buy sight unseen.

Last edited:

mpk3

TechnoGranola, THANK YOU.

I had no idea that the 3rd row in the mdx isn't meant for daily use. I thought for certain I had found my car. Back to the drawing board. :(

What cars (that have a 3rd row) ARE meant for daily use of the 3rd row? I really don't want a minivan and I don't want a large SUV either. I feel stuck now. :( I really wanted that mdx.

What about the Mercedes wagon? A friend of mine has it and she has two kids in boosters in the 3rd row and her infant in the second row. Is that acceptable in the Mercedes?

Any ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks again to those that replied!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
TechnoGranola, THANK YOU.

I had no idea that the 3rd row in the mdx isn't meant for daily use. I thought for certain I had found my car. Back to the drawing board. :(

What cars (that have a 3rd row) ARE meant for daily use of the 3rd row? I really don't want a minivan and I don't want a large SUV either. I feel stuck now. :( I really wanted that mdx.

Any ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks again to those that replied!

It isn't that is ins't meant for constant use just know going into it that if you have both third row seats up and in use you won't have a ton of cargo room. I use the third row in my MDX 99% of the time. I also have 3 kids and I put my two youngest in the middle row (Marathon and Frontier) and my 9 year old in third row. If both boys are outboard she climbs in through the back hatch and I leave one third row seat folded down. If one boy is center and the other is outboard she climbs in through the pass-through. I always have plenty of cargo room with one third row seat in use and the other folded down.

The MDX is such an awesome car and if you did go with it you would not be disappointed.

If you do a search here for the mdx there are tons of threads where we all go into a lot of detail about why we love them so!:love:

mpk3

It isn't that is ins't meant for constant use just know going into it that if you have both third row seats up and in use you won't have a ton of cargo room. I use the third row in my MDX 99% of the time. I also have 3 kids and I put my two youngest in the middle row (Marathon and Frontier) and my 9 year old in third row. If both boys are outboard she climbs in through the back hatch and I leave one third row seat folded down. If one boy is center and the other is outboard she climbs in through the pass-through. I always have plenty of cargo room with one third row seat in use and the other folded down.

The MDX is such an awesome car and if you did go with it you would not be disappointed.

If you do a search here for the mdx there are tons of threads where we all go into a lot of detail about why we love them so!:love:

Thank you for chiming in about this. I figured it was a cargo issue, but worried it was a safety issue as well. If it's safe, I was thinking of putting both Frontiers in the 3rd row and my marathon rider in the 2nd row. In my van, I rarely use the cargo space in the trunk. I always use the space in the second row where no one is sitting (because I have 2 kids in the 3rd row and one kid in a captain's chair). That was my plan with the MDX too. I realize it's not the same space as my van, but I was assuming it would be adequate.

I know, I hear fantastic things about the MDX...excellent "bang for your buck." I'd really love one, but I want to keep all "issues" in mind and get what will be best for us. But, we really don't want (or feel we need) another van and I'd strongly prefer not to drive a massive SUV.

Are there any other car options that would work for me? I'm researching, but I always appreciate hearing what others have to say. That helps a lot!

Thank you! :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

Right, it depends on what you expect from the 3rd row. Most people expect the 3rd row to be like a van, which is why I said it wasn't really meant for continual use. It's not like you have the 3rd row for adult passengers AND the cargo room like you would with a van. So, with both seats up, it's not like you can head off on a weekend trip with room for luggage for 7. :) And while it provides sufficient room for older kids that fit and don't need a child restraint, I know it doesn't fit a regular sized RF convertible (neither the Marathon or My Ride fit) and I'm thinking a FF restraint just wouldn't have the leg room a child needed (although maybe you've tried your Frontier and found out differently?). I do find the headrests back there very infuriating though. At 10 years old, DD was too tall for the headrest in the not-extended position and not tall enough for it in the raised position. And the seat belt didn't fit right in her backless booster, so she essentially couldn't sit in the 3rd row. In the extended position it's now fine for her at 5'2" tall (and was fine for several inches already). But, between 4'10" tall (when we got the vehicle) and for about the next year, it sucked.

You're right that you can more cargo room if you keep one side folded down. But of course you have to worry about what you put beside your child in the 3rd row as you don't want anything that could injure them (which I know you know, just pointing it out for any new readers). So grocery bags full of heavy cans, or shelving from Home Depot, etc. is not something to be carrying in that spot.

Thank you for chiming in about this. I figured it was a cargo issue, but worried it was a safety issue as well.
I don't think I said anything about it being unsafe? I was speaking purely of practicality. For practical use, it really is meant as an occasional use sort of thing. Most people aren't willing to deal with kids climbing through cargo areas and over top of the seats on a regular basis, and need cargo room to carry a stroller, groceries, etc.

I am still unsure your kids will have enough leg room in Frontiers in the 3rd row. Dani said she has a Frontier though so hopefully she can give you some feedback on that. If it is possible, keep in mind there is not a lot of space to get into the 3rd row so if that's where you'll be standing to buckle/tighten the kids, you'll want to try it out before you buy. It's squishy for me to get in/out of the 3rd row and I'm pretty much the size of a 13 year old girl. :)

The Q7 and GM unibodies (Traverse, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave) are more bigger family friendly than the MDX.

We're not even considering the MDX or Pilot b/c once you have the 3rd row up, the trunk is nearly useless and the 3rd row isn't much better. Which is bizarre. I mean, how hard is it to restyle and put a lift kit on an Odyssey minivan? That's all they had to do and they could slaughter the competition. Prolly be cheaper too than redesigning things to create the shape of the Pilot/MDX. That's all they really did with the Ridgeline.

mpk3

I don't think I said anything about it being unsafe? I was speaking purely of practicality.

Oh definitely not...sorry if I made it sound that way. :eek: You mentioned nothing about row 3 being unsafe...that was just me all of sudden worrying about safety in the back, nothing you said. :)

You're right, I'd prefer not to have my child climb through a cargo area. My thought was to have my older two kids (age 4 & 6) hop into the 3rd row first and then put my toddler into the marathon in row 2. My 6 year old can strap herself in, but I do help my 4 year old who can ALMOST do it alone.

I am beyond thankful for all of the helpful information I've received today. Thank you! :thumbsup:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oh definitely not...sorry if I made it sound that way. :eek: You mentioned nothing about row 3 being unsafe...that was just me all of sudden worrying about safety in the back, nothing you said. :)
No worries, I wasn't really all that clear. I edited my first post a bit to hopefully make it more clear for anyone else reading the thread.

You're right, I'd prefer not to have my child climb through a cargo area. My thought was to have my older two kids (age 4 & 6) hop into the 3rd row first and then put my toddler into the marathon in row 2. My 6 year old can strap herself in, but I do help my 4 year old who can ALMOST do it alone.
Assuming the Frontiers (with children in them!) fit in the 3rd row, then you'd likely be set. Your 6 year old would sit driver's side since she can buckle herself in, then you could reach the 3rd row from the access point to buckle your 4 year old. And since you don't have the need to carry cargo, then you won't be bothered by the reduced cargo room. So, the MDX still may work for your situation, so don't rule it out just yet. :) Just have to find out if those Frontiers will fit without squishing up the kids' legs!

Oh, one more thing to note, the tether points for the 3rd row are along the cargo door sill. So, the tether straps go across the small bit of cargo area you do have left. This might not affect you, but it's something to keep in mind and to make sure install the seats and attach the tethers before you buy so you know if you can deal with how they sit over the cargo area.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I can't remember if I have ever installed the Frontier in the third row.:confused: I am more than happy to try it out for you tonight though if you would like. My 5 year old has been asking to move back there anyway.

I did have the Regent back there for a looong time with a leggy 6 year old and she was fine leg room wise.

mpk3

I can't remember if I have ever installed the Frontier in the third row.:confused: I am more than happy to try it out for you tonight though if you would like. My 5 year old has been asking to move back there anyway.

I did have the Regent back there for a looong time with a leggy 6 year old and she was fine leg room wise.

Wow, you'd do that for me? Thanks!! :love: I would really appreciate your input!

My kids are average to small for size/height...definitely not tall, so I was hoping leg room back there would be okay for them. They don't have a ton of leg room in the 3rd row of our van right now.

It would be great if you could "envison" the second Frontier back there as well. Let me know what you think or if you could forsee a better configuration with 2 Frontiers and 1 Marathon.

Thank you so very much!!! :love:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Wow, you'd do that for me? Thanks!! :love: I would really appreciate your input!

My kids are average to small for size/height...definitely not tall, so I was hoping leg room back there would be okay for them. They don't have a ton of leg room in the 3rd row of our van right now.

It would be great if you could "envison" the second Frontier back there as well. Let me know what you think or if you could forsee a better configuration with 2 Frontiers and 1 Marathon.

Thank you so very much!!! :love:

Of course I would! The Frontier is actually sitting the garage and I have been meaning to re-install it anyway.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Alright the Frontier was an easy install in the third row and it is rock solid!:thumbsup:

Here are some pictures of the set up...I don't have two Frontiers so I threw my Marathon back there to give a feel of how two seats will fit.

I am a very visual person so I took a lot of pictures to show you:D

***Disclaimer: I did not realize my third row was so disgustingly dirty...plus photographing black interior with a flash is not good even when clean.:p While playing around I found a new spill of chocolate milk that I didn't know happened..nice! So excuse the messy car I swear we are not slobs***

Frontier and Marathon side by side...a lot of room in between the two seats
frontierthirdrow013.jpg

frontierthirdrow014.jpg

Knee room on Frontier
frontierthirdrow015.jpg

Knee room with HUGE son in the seat..he is 5 but wears a size 7 jeans and the length fits perfect.
frontierthirdrow023.jpg

Possible set up...two seats in back with one on the outboard passenger side the third row passengers can hop in over the folded down seat. You can also leave it down to allow for more leg room if you want and/or the kids like to use it as a leg rest.
frontierthirdrow018.jpg

Or you could put the seat on the drivers side outboard and use the slide/tilt function to access the third row. I don't like this way because the "hallway" to get to the far seat is narrow and it takes longer to load the kids.
frontierthirdrow020.jpg

Comparison of leg room between the Frontier and Marathon...oh theres that missing flip flop!;)
frontierthirdrow021.jpg

Looking back at your kids from the front seats.
frontierthirdrow022.jpg

Cargo room with both third row seats up...that hatch is a well you can store stuff in. Mine is full of diapers, wipes, toys, etc...it will hold a good amount.
frontierthirdrow012.jpg

I put my Quinny Zapp in there for comparison sake.
frontierthirdrow027.jpg

Keep in mind you can also do all three carseats across the middle row. I have had tons of different combinations and everything has worked. We do this for trips if we have a lot of cargo for the back.

mpk3

Dani, you are awesome! :love:

Big fat ditto to this!! :thumbsup:

Dani, wow, thank you so very much! You are I are exactly the same...I would have totally taken pictures like that too!

You had me cracking up when you mentioned the missing flip flop in that one picture. Too funny! :ROTFLMAO: No need to apologize for your car at all. You should see the state of my van right now. :eek: It's amazing how kids so small can make such big messes!

I was really pleased to see all the room in there! MUCH more room than I had thought for the children's legs. Honestly, the knee room my 6 year old has now between her and the captain's chair in front of her appears identical to what you showed in your pictures. It's not like she's swimming in space right now in our van. Also, I was impressed with the cargo space. I know it's diminished with use of the 3rd row, but it really looked like there was plenty of room for what I'm looking for. I gotta say, we don't have a ton of cargo room in our van...it's deep...but narrow. LOVED how you incorporated the stroller in a picture too. Thank you!!

Hmm...the MDX might be back on my list. Hooray!

Dani, you're awesome! :thumbsup:

Incredibly, incredibly helpful. I am in awe at how thoughtful and helpful everyone has been here. :love:

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. I appreciate everyone making me feel welcome to ask away! Thanks!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sweet Dani! You are a
super_stargif

The leg room is much better than I thought. Seriously, my knees were so sore from not being able to move my legs back there, and since I'm so small, I never figured a kid would have any leg room!

The cargo room looks bigger than it does in mine with taupe interior....maybe your MDX is bigger....:ROTFLMAO:

mpk3, I had no idea the 3rd row in vans could also be somewhat cramped. I always thought that vans were supposed to have a ton of room all over the place!

(and Dani, you got rep!)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all the accolades...y'all are too nice!

Techno~ LOL maybe they come bigger in the US?!?!?:p

mpk3

mpk3, I had no idea the 3rd row in vans could also be somewhat cramped. I always thought that vans were supposed to have a ton of room all over the place!

I know, you'd think they were wildly spacious, but they really aren't. I think that with 2 kids, you'd notice a big difference between van vs. small suv, but with 3 kids I really don't feel like we're swimming with space. What minivans have is height. I mean, yes, there's a little more space, but not a ton. It's mostly height that gives you that spacious feeling.

When our baby was born and we reconfigured our seats (putting the older two kids in the 3rd row), I was shocked by how little leg room my kids had in the 3rd row. I thought there'd be tons of room, but there wasn't. To gain more space, we take out one of the captain's chairs. But, with that seat in there, it's not all that huge.

The cargo space in the back is small too. I can barely fit two strollers back there. When I shop, I put all my groceries in the spot where there's the empty captain's chair...never in the cargo space area.

Today I saw a preschool mom loading her kids into her GMC Acadia. I was comparing it to my van and really, it looked very doable for us. Not sure how the Acadia stands up against the MDX though...I'd imagine they're similar in size.

I'm rambling... :eek:

Bascially, we will definitely be downsizing when we get our new car. But, I don't think it's going to be all that drastic going from van to small suv. If anything I'm hoping it will prevent me from keeping too much crap in the car! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC