Question Any installers out there that would recommend a convertible for a Honda Odyssey?

mlohry

I turned in 3 old boosters that we had gotten a long time ago from our neighbor and had basically been storing them in our garage to Babies R us this weekend, now I have three 25% off coupons from there. I know I will probably only use one or 2 coupons, but I am thinking now might be a good time to get a convertible for my almost 1 year old DD. I am not in a hurry because she is in a Graco Safeseat that goes to 30 lbs, but if I was to buy one, does anyone have a recommendation for a 2005 Honda Odyssey? We had Britax seats that were great in our car but seemed so big in the van when we got it, that we replaced them with the GNs, so I am not sure if I want to go that route, they looked so tall. I would like to ERF DD, now that I know more. I know there is a lot of mention about other brands that are not carried at B R us, and I would be fine with that too. I might also get another booster for my 7 year old DS that recently moved into the booster mode of the GN, any recommendations there? Thanks for the help!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Every convertible BRU sells fits nicely in the Ody. Funny, I never thought my Marathon looked too big (maybe a little tall, but it wasn't a problem for my dd RF from 3-4.5, or FF to age 6). But the Complete Air and My Ride 65 are really nice seats, and the Turbo's a fine booster if you need another one of those. :)

Jonah Baby

Like PP stated, your options are pretty wide open.
(Which can be both reassuring and stressful!)

Time to evaluate what each child needs for their developmental stage.
Height, weight, torso height, and growth patterns are to be taken into consideration.
Is cost a concern at all?
Will there be any other children you may want to pass a seat on to?

thepote

There is one crappy feature on your 2005 Ody that I would consider, though. That single off-center tether anchor in the third row.

As I understand it, for forward-facing, the Britax v-shaped tether can be used in either the center position or the passenger side position because Britax allows a certain amount of off-center positioning. Otherwise, your only forward-facing option back there for a restraint is the center.

Techs... any other seats allow this?

By the way, we had a Marathon rear-facing in the captains chair behind the passenger for years and it was fine :thumbsup:

Jonah Baby

I believe most seats/manufacturers allow of tethering on an anchor at an angle of 30 degrees or less.
I read that on this board once somewhere...let me see if I can find it.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
There is one crappy feature on your 2005 Ody that I would consider, though. That single off-center tether anchor in the third row.

As I understand it, for forward-facing, the Britax v-shaped tether can be used in either the center position or the passenger side position because Britax allows a certain amount of off-center positioning. Otherwise, your only forward-facing option back there for a restraint is the center.

Techs... any other seats allow this?

By the way, we had a Marathon rear-facing in the captains chair behind the passenger for years and it was fine :thumbsup:

Even if Britax would allow it, does Honda allow "borrowing" of the third row center top tether anchor for a third row outboard FF install in the '05 Odyssey, though? I haven't heard nor read anything in the LATCH manual to indicate that it's allowed by Honda. :(

lovinwaves

OP, which Britax seats did you have in your van before? When you say they were too large, what exactly do you mean?

Any of the above seats will work just fine. To see a Safety 1st Complete Air installed rear-facing in an '05 Odyssey, with a 4 and 5 year old rear-facing in it, there is a link to a review in my signature.

:)

Even if Britax would allow it, does Honda allow "borrowing" of the third row center top tether anchor for a third row outboard FF install in the '05 Odyssey, though? I haven't heard nor read anything in the LATCH manual to indicate that it's allowed by Honda. :(

I believe Jeanum is correct. My owner's manual to my '05 does not allow outboard seats to use that center tether. And if I remember correctly, the vehicle owner's manual always trumps the car seat's owners manual.

Jonah Baby

Research finds that a FFing seat can be tethered on (assuming a designated tether anchor) an anchor which is up to 20 degrees off-center from the point of carseat install.
I was close.

But no, no borrowing of top anchors is allowed, weather there is more than one carseat on a single anchor or one carseat using the top tether in a different seating position than the carseat itself is installed in. Can't do it.
As of the research, no borrowing for top anchors is EVER allowed, ever. I found this from a collection of posts dating spring 2009 and older. I wouldn't think that such information has changed in less than a year without our Tech's knowing.

Jeanum

Staff member
I believe Jeanum is correct. My owner's manual to my '05 does not allow outboard seats to use that center tether. And if I remember correctly, the vehicle owner's manual always trumps the car seat's owners manual.

Thanks for verifying that. It's like borrowing center LATCH in a way, with both the vehicle and the carseat manufacturer needing to allow it. Honda remedied the top tether anchor situation in the Odyssey's third row by providing 3 factory equipped top tether anchors starting in the 2006 model year, but that leaves the '05 Ody owners in the lurch a bit with no retrofit available for additional third row outboard tether anchors. :eek:

lovinwaves

Research finds that a FFing seat can be tethered on (assuming a designated tether anchor) an anchor which is up to 20 degrees off-center from the point of carseat install.
I was close.

But no, no borrowing of top anchors is allowed, weather there is more than one carseat on a single anchor or one carseat using the top tether in a different seating position than the carseat itself is installed in. Can't do it.
As of the research, no borrowing for top anchors is EVER allowed, ever. I found this from a collection of posts dating spring 2009 and older. I wouldn't think that such information has changed in less than a year without our Tech's knowing.

I am so confused :eek:

You CAN borrow if the car seat manufacture allows it, and the vehicle owner manual allows it. ;)

o_mom

Do you just have the two kids? 1 yo and 7 yo?

Can you use the coupon online?

I love my Radian Rear-facing in the second row of the Odyssey. They also carry the Parkway SG and Montery boosters online as well, which would be good choices.

thepote

I was close.

I just called Honda and they said that as long as the child seat manufacturer allows it, the 2005's tether anchor can be used either in the center or outboard on the passenger side. :twocents:

P1ally

I turned in 3 old boosters that we had gotten a long time ago from our neighbor and had basically been storing them in our garage to Babies R us this weekend, now I have three 25% off coupons from there. I know I will probably only use one or 2 coupons,

As far as I understand, you have to use the coupons the same day you turn the old stuff in...

mlohry

Thanks for all the great replys! My DD will be sitting in the middle, right now, we have the passenger seat slid to the middle, but she might have to move to the driver side in the fall, when I have to drop both of my boys off at school. I think that the Britax seats did fit in the Odyssey, but they looked really awkward to me being up so high in the middle, my previous car was an Allero and the seats are kind of sunk down. They seemed like they had to crawl so far in to them in the van. The Allero's windows were also higher so it was nice to have the little bit higher car seats. We had a Roundabout and a Marathon. Now we use the Roundabout in the car when we bring DD in there and the Marathon expires next year and a friend is borrowing that, who was going to put her 3 year old in a booster because that is all she had. I love the Nati's in the van. I would really like a Radian I think, but I don't think I can use the coupon. I can use the coupon online, and they prefer that you use it the same day that you do the trade, but it can be used up until it expires. I would really like the new Britax booster for my 7 year old, so I might consider that, I wish I could try him in it, but the stores don't have it yet. Someone asked how many kids we have, we have a 7, 5 and 1 year old, I think we are done having kids so I am not needing to pass a seat on, but we may do foster care in the future, but I am not really thinking that far ahead. Anyone try the My ride in the van, I like the look of that, but it looks really hot and cushy, is that true? Thanks again for the assistance!

Jeanum

Staff member
I just called Honda and they said that as long as the child seat manufacturer allows it, the 2005's tether anchor can be used either in the center or outboard on the passenger side. :twocents:

Honda customer service is notoriously somewhat wishy washy when queried on things regarding LATCH installation weight limits, etc. but that's certainly encouraging to hear. :) I would encourage you to convey that info. to the Safe Ride News folks over at saferidenews.com who compile the LATCH manual to have them confirm it with their Honda engineering contacts to include that in the next update for the 2011 LATCH manual.

thepote

Honda customer service is notoriously somewhat wishy washy when queried on things regarding LATCH installation weight limits, etc. but that's certainly encouraging to hear. :) I would encourage you to convey that info. to the Safe Ride News folks over at saferidenews.com who compile the LATCH manual to have them confirm it with their Honda engineering contacts to include that in the next update for the 2011 LATCH manual.

This is what I emailed to them:

Greetings,
I frequent the boards at Car-Seat.org and was asked to relay some information to you regarding the 2005 Honda Odyssey.
The 2005 Ody is the model year that only one tether anchor is available for the third row. This tether anchor is positioned off center, towards the passenger side, on the tailgate. Due to the off-center positioning of the tether anchor, it meets the angle criteria for Britax seats to be tethered to it in either the center seating position OR the passenger seating position.
I called Honda and they said that as long as the car seat manufacturer allows it, Honda has no restrictions with using the anchor in the passenger side position.
It was recommended at Car-Seat.org that I pass this information along to you, so you can verify this information with your contacts at Honda, and possibly include it in your next LATCH manual.
Thank you for your work in keeping kids safe.

thepote

The reply:

Dear Amy, thanks for the info from your contact with Honda. Sounds like a very good thing to add to the next edition. We'll put that into the hopper.
Deborah S___

:thumbsup:

Jeanum

Staff member
Good, glad they're going to put that on the to-do list for the LATCH manual. :thumbsup:

OP, sorry if we've sidetracked your thread. :eek: I haven't installed a MyRide in an Odyssey (it did install pretty easily in my Sienna but that's not the same thing, lol), but I'm betting if we bump this up for you again, you'll get more input on installs in the Ody and your question about the My Ride covers. Also, I'm not seeing a picture of the kiddos, but maybe you took down your photo since last night?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC