Wondering which seat to switch to next

Amber

I have a 10 month old daughter who is 21 pounds and 30 inches long. She is currently in a Graco Safeseat, as it goes to 30 pounds, 32 inches. But she is looking uncomfortable in it and I know it won't be long before she grows out of it length wise. So, we are looking into a convertible seat for her. We want to keep her rear facing for as long as we can.

We have a Cavalier, not the safest, or biggest vehicle and its only 2 door. We want to keep her in the middle seat, and we have a 7 year old that sits beside her. So, size wise matters alot, but safety comes first, followed by comfortability. I was looking at the Decathlon, but its a bit pricey and I have been told by friends that other seats are just as safe and cheaper.

One friend has a Triumph that she swears by, but looking at reviews, I see alot of complaints about straps. So, I was looking that the Radian today and that looks slim and tall.

Any recommendations for seats? I think DD is going to be very tall and thick.

ADS

scatterbunny

What year is your Cavalier?

There ARE plenty of other seats that are cheaper and just as safe as a Decathlon (all seats on the market today have to pass the same testing), but the big Britax seats (Marathon, Decathlon and Boulevard) and the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (from Albee Baby, made by Britax, it's a clone of the Marathon minus a few features) and the Sunshine Kids Radian are convertibles that will last years longer than the others.

Why will they last longer?

Taller top slots (2-3 inches taller than most other seats)
Higher harnessed weight limits (55-65 pounds instead of 40 pounds)
Taller seat shells (means kids will not get too tall to rear-face before reaching the rear-facing weight limit)

My dd would have been too tall for a Graco ComfortSport by her 2nd birthday. She was too tall for most Evenflo convertibles and Cosco/Eddie Bauer/Safety 1st convertibles by her 3rd birthday.

She was not too big for a Britax MA/DC/BV or Fisher Price SVD until her 5th birthday. She would still have some room in a Sunshine Kids Radian, and she's off the charts for height and in the 80th percentile for weight.

The Triumph is a nice seat, and I like it for infants and also for forward-facing. But for extended rear-facing it sucks because of a very low seat shell.

We have posters on this board with 2-door Cavaliers who can fit three carseats across, including one big Britax, but not sure how easy it will be to fit a 7yo in a booster also (what booster is your 7yo in?).

skipspin

What year is your cavalier?

I would say that the Triumph will be outgrown RFing not long after the Safeseat1 that you have since it's really short, so just for that reason it wouldn't be a good seat for you. It's also quite wide, so the 7 yr old may not be able to sit next to it. (Also, is the 7 yr old in a booster? Are you SURE one isn't needed?)

I would say that the Radian might be a good seat, but may not fit front to back when RFing because it has a pretty steep recline. Then again, it may work great. Any of the larger Britaxs will most likely fit well, but you may have to put them on the side to leave room for the 7 year old. As far as being outboard, I really wouldn't worry about it a great deal. Rear-facing is REALLY safe. If you want the extra security get the Britax Boulevard the the SIP wings.

Hopefully that helps some!

Amber

My Cavalier is a 2004. My 7 year old is in a booster seat. She is 54 pounds and 50 inches, but I think she is safer in one, as the seatbelt cuts in her neck if she is just sitting in the seat. She is in the Graco Turbo Summit booster.

I had my dh look at the Radian and he says that is the best bet. So we are going to order that one, as it looks like it will fit her for a good long while, and is narrow enough for the 7 year old to sit next to her.

I hope it fits in my Cavalier. Does anyone know if it will before I order it? I have the LATCH and that is how I will have it installed, by a prefessional.

canadianmom2three

I have had great success with the latch, not in a Cavalier, but a mini-van, and not so much with the seatbelt in the van, but great in DH's truck, it seems to be because my belts come out quite forward from the seat crease. Otherwise I love my Radian, and so does DS - best of luck!

Last edited:

scatterbunny

The Radian may take up too much front-to-back room when it is rear-facing, Britax seats are generally easier to install and take up less front-to-back room, but the Radian will last longer so if you can make it fit, go for it! :D

Good for you for having your 7yo still in a booster. She should stay in one for another 7 inches, at least. And until she passes the 5 step test (it can vary from vehicle to vehicle): http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Also---check your vehicle manual, but I doubt that you can use LATCH in the center. Most car makers only install the anchor in the 2 outboard seats.

I know in my 05 malibu maxx I can do a center install, but I'm not sure if they did center LATCH in 04--or what models.

Using the LATCH in an unapproved position would mean that your child could be the crash test dummy in an accident.

Susan

Amber

I do have my infant seat strapped in via LATCH. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that. It fits in super tight.

scatterbunny

It can fit super-tight and still not be safe. It has either been tested and failed, or it wasn't tested by the manufacturer at all, so essentially your child is the crash test dummy. :( Sorry if that sounds harsh, it is not meant to be! We all make mistakes, and LATCH is way more confusing than it was supposed to be.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have a 10 month old daughter who is 21 pounds and 30 inches long. She is currently in a Graco Safeseat, as it goes to 30 pounds, 32 inches. But she is looking uncomfortable in it and I know it won't be long before she grows out of it length wise. So, we are looking into a convertible seat for her. We want to keep her rear facing for as long as we can.

We have a Cavalier, not the safest, or biggest vehicle and its only 2 door. We want to keep her in the middle seat, and we have a 7 year old that sits beside her. So, size wise matters alot, but safety comes first, followed by comfortability. I was looking at the Decathlon, but its a bit pricey and I have been told by friends that other seats are just as safe and cheaper.

One friend has a Triumph that she swears by, but looking at reviews, I see alot of complaints about straps. So, I was looking that the Radian today and that looks slim and tall.

Any recommendations for seats? I think DD is going to be very tall and thick.

Have you loosened the straps on your safeseat in the back? They get a couple inches longer both in the lap and the shoulder straps. My dd is your dd's size and is still plenty comfortable in her safeseat :)
http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats (there's pictures of what loosening the harness looks like)

Amber

Julie, I thought I *had* to get her a new seat due to the seat restrictions of 32 inches? Is that not right? Does length not matter like weight does? I didn't know you could adjust the lap strap? I will try it as I would love to be able to put off getting her a new seat if I can.

I do need to change her to the seatbelt from the LATCH..I had no idea it was unsafe like that. I am so mad at myself!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, the height limit is a guideline, the seat is fine to use as long as her head is at least an inch under the top of the seatback... most, if not all kids make it to at least 18 months, heightwise, some as old as 2 in that seat.
Don't feel bad about the LATCH thing, you can fix it today and it can be forgotten, no harm done :) (The seatbelt installation is easy, to! Just run the belth in the belt path, tighten it up well, and then clip the lockoff, and it should be rock solid).

:)

Amber

Thank you so very much for all your help. This board rocks. I have learned so much already. I will definitely change the seat to using the seatbelt today. When I told my hubby about it last night he just dropped his jaw, cause we had our 7 year old in like that when she was younger and we didn't know it was incorrect. I have one more question for you though, if you don't mind. When I forward face her eventually, would she be safer, and would the seat fit better on the side rather than in the middle as my back seats are split 40/60...do you know? I want her to be safe and the middle seemed like the best place for her, but I want to make sure. Thanks!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC