Need reccomendation for a good booster seat please

fairytalelover

We want to get our 4 year old (40lbs) son a booster seat but have no clue what is safe and the best buy. Nothing too expensive but his safety is the most important thing. What should we get?

ADS

Evolily

4 & 40 lbs is the bare minimum for booster use. Most kids that age just do not have the physical maturity to sit properly. We don't recommend kids move to a booster at that age unless it's as an occasional use or emergency use seat. I have two 40 lbs kids in my signature, and neither will be out of the harness seat full time until they're about 6.

What seat is he in now, and where are his shoulder in relation to the top slots? What is your budget?

Evolily

I have a 90th percentile 5 year old in a harness seat :) . The Decathalon doesn't have that tall of a top harness.

I would look at the Evenflo Maestro ($75), Britax Frontier ($280), Graco Nautilus ($150), and Britax Regent (on sale- $160). I listed them roughly from shortest to tallest harness. They all have at least an 18 inch top harness and should last a while.

But you will need to get a seat NOW, as since his shoulders are over the top harness his current seat is outgrown and not safe to ride in.

Last edited:

littleangelfire

Sounds like a Graco Nautilus would suit your purposes perfectly - it ought to be the last seat you have to buy him, as it will keep him harnessed for a while yet with approximately 18" top harness slots, and then becomes a booster seat. Not bad for $150.

And my son is a big guy - and still harnessed most of the time at 5 1/2 years old. He won't use a booster full time until about 6 years old, though he uses one part time, just learning to sit in it properly and how to buckle himself. Most of us parents are mistakenly given the impression that our kids will only need 3 seats: infant carrier, convertible, booster. In fact, that's not always true. First, infant seats aren't a required seat, but that's besides the point for you. Secondly, many many kids outgrow their convertible seats before they are ready for booster seats. That's where combination seats that are forward facing only with a harness and then become a booster come in.

The Nautilus is very easy to use and install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC