radian latch limit vs car latch limit

U

Unregistered

My radian has an latch limit of 48 lbs but from what I've read around here Honda allows only 40 lbs. My DS is 41 lbs so do I need to use the seat belt for the unstall now or do I defer to the car seat manual as my car's manual doesn't actually state a numeric limit?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If it's a regular Radian (not SL), yes, you need to switch to a seatbelt install at 40 lbs. Although Honda does not list a LATCH limit in its manuals, nor do most of the customer service people have any idea :)rolleyes:), the Honda engineers have placed a 40-lb limit on the LATCH system. (That information is available in a LATCH Manual printed by Safe Ride News. I have also personally spoken to a Honda engineer who insists on a 40-lb limit.)

mommycat

Yes, sad but true. What year/model vehicle is it? I have successfully had the Radian FF in a 2001 and 2007 Civic with seatbelt, center and outboard. If it's not a Civic, then never mind... lol

U

Unregistered

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask which model year the Honda is...

-Nicole.

'09 Fit. I got a great install with the belt. I reclined the vechile seat, twisted the belt stalk once, buckled, tightend and then put the vechile seat upright. It doesn't budge at all.

Thanks everyone.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
As long as you got a good install with the belt--no worries. Newer vehicles are actually required to have higher weight anchors, so even though the 40lb weight limit is applied across the board, your Fit has anchors that satisfy the higher force requirements. Moot point if you get a good seatbelt install :)

-Nicole.

Alison's Mom

What year did Hondas start to conform to the new higher weight limit for LATCH? I'm wondering if I have to switch to a seat belt install (which I'm sure would be OK) once my kiddos reach 40 pounds in my 07 CRV. Thanks.

amyd

What year did Hondas start to conform to the new higher weight limit for LATCH? I'm wondering if I have to switch to a seat belt install (which I'm sure would be OK) once my kiddos reach 40 pounds in my 07 CRV. Thanks.

I believe it was Sept 05 when the change was made across the board, but it also depends on your seat. Some seats defer to the vehicle manufacturer while others have their own UAS limits.

ETA- I see you have Radians...check your manual. Some older models have lower limits, while the newer manuals say they can be used with UAS until 65lbs.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are the standards the same in Canada as in the US?

The more stringent requirements in the US went into effect in September 2005.

I interpret that to mean that all cars sold since then meet the same standards. So if one manufacturer says 48, they all should meet that requirement.

Other people interpret that to mean that although all cars meet the same minimum requirements, some manufacturers might go above and beyond and test their anchors to a higher level. (So in other words, maybe Honda really does mean it when they say 40 lbs.)

Personally, I believe that all anchors are rated to the 48-lb standard. Vehicle manufacturers tend to put child safety on the back burner, and I can't imagine any of them voluntarily testing their anchors to a higher level, especially if they're not going to use it as a marketing ploy. I also suspect that anchors tend to come from the same manufacturer, though I have no way of confirming that.

But, putting that aside, you must stop using LATCH in a Honda at 40 lbs, because that's Honda's official stance. On the other hand, if you call Honda and ask them, you'll probably get 25 different answers. So take your pick.

QuassEE

I interpret that to mean that all cars sold since then meet the same standards. So if one manufacturer says 48, they all should meet that requirement.

It actually means that by that day on the production line, the requirements would have needed to be met. You can find out your production date by looking on the sticker on the inside of your driver's side door.

As for 40 vs 48lb LATCH use in the 07 CR-V.. I would leave that one to parental decision. I have a 2008 Odyssey and I am using LATCH beyond 40lbs. I will discontinue use of LATCH by 48, despite having a Radian with the new connectors.

We know that a seatbelt can restrain fat Americans without failure, so when in doubt use the seatbelt.

-Nicole.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

It actually means that by that day on the production line, the requirements would have needed to be met. You can find out your production date by looking on the sticker on the inside of your driver's side door.

No, I realize that. What I mean is, as of September 2005, are ALL anchors capable of holding 48 lbs? Or are they all capable of holding 40 lbs, and some just go above and beyond that? (I realize it seems logical that 40 lbs would be the "old" weight, and 48 lbs would be the "new" weight.)

Personally, I think anything since Sept '05 can hold 48 lbs and much more. But until I see it in black and white, it's a parental decision, IMO.

Alison's Mom

Thanks for the info, everyone. I checked my Radian manuals and it says LATCH limit of 65 pounds, so that part is not an issue. I'll check the Honda manual tomorrow and see what it says, but judging by what you all are saying, it probably says 40 pounds. I'll cross the bridge when I get to it!

I was just thinking, though, shouldn't the weight of the car seat have something to do with it? A Radian weighs at least a few pounds more than some lighter seats, and you'd think that the RN's extra weight would have some bearing on how much 'child' the LATCH can hold? Or would that be too confusing for people to calculate. . . .

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for the info, everyone. I checked my Radian manuals and it says LATCH limit of 65 pounds, so that part is not an issue. I'll check the Honda manual tomorrow and see what it says, but judging by what you all are saying, it probably says 40 pounds. I'll cross the bridge when I get to it!

I was just thinking, though, shouldn't the weight of the car seat have something to do with it? A Radian weighs at least a few pounds more than some lighter seats, and you'd think that the RN's extra weight would have some bearing on how much 'child' the LATCH can hold? Or would that be too confusing for people to calculate. . . .

Honda manuals don't say anything. Honda customer service will say 40, 48, or defer to the seat, depending on who you talk to. Honda engineers (who typical parents don't have access to) say 40.

Yes, logically the weight of the child restraint should be factored into LATCH limits, but it's not. None of it is logical.

Chances are that LATCH anchors can hold pretty much anything. The stated limits were determined at a time when there basically were no seats that harnessed over 40 lbs, so there wasn't really a need to think beyond that.

Alison's Mom

Thanks for saving me the time to check the Honda manual for something that isn't there!

Based on the engineer's 40lb limit, and the fact that my seats by themselves weigh more than average, I think I'll switch to seat belt at 40 pounds. Thanks.

QuassEE

No, I realize that. What I mean is, as of September 2005, are ALL anchors capable of holding 48 lbs? Or are they all capable of holding 40 lbs, and some just go above and beyond that? (I realize it seems logical that 40 lbs would be the "old" weight, and 48 lbs would be the "new" weight.)

Personally, I think anything since Sept '05 can hold 48 lbs and much more. But until I see it in black and white, it's a parental decision, IMO.

There's no numerical weight limit associated with LATCH. That's an interpretation based on a speed, decelerations, and load--or Newtons. Based on the standard formula that seems to be used here, the weight translates to 65lbs after the change, and 48lbs before. But of course these numbers don't *really* exist.

-Nicole.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There's no numerical weight limit associated with LATCH. That's an interpretation based on a speed, decelerations, and load--or Newtons. Based on the standard formula that seems to be used here, the weight translates to 65lbs after the change, and 48lbs before. But of course these numbers don't *really* exist.

-Nicole.

Ah, ok. I know the numbers don't really exist (LOL), but wasn't sure if the 48 lbs extrapolated from the minimum standard or not.

hipmaman

I'm sure the weight of the seat is accounted for in the 'conversion' from Newton to lbs. It's not an actual weight of the seat, but probably a max weight, say 20 lbs, to cover the range of different seat weights out there. Pulling number out of the hat here :)

QuassEE

The weight of the seat is accounted for, although you might want to take into consideration something like a Safeguard Go (which is significantly lighter than your average seat) or a Regent (heavy)... I know that the Go manual does say somewhere that you can use LATCH up to a higher weight limit.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC