My car seat debate

tl01

I need a new seat for DH's car for DS. I'm trying to choose btwn the GN and the RN. We have and RNXT but it is no longer able to be used much b/c it is in someone else's car for carpool once a week. We have a Frontier in my car. DS has a good amount of growing room in the Frontier. We have another baby on the way and I will likely want to install the seats next to each other. We have two SUV's which have reasonably sized back seats but DH prefers to not have a seat behind him. I love the RNXT for travel purposes and of course it tends to install well next to other seats. DS is 42" tall, mostly torso, 41 lbs. He is on the last slot of the RNXT. I feel like it is silly to buy another one but I really like the seat. I'm not fond of the GN. I'm thinking it is a waste....but I guess I could give it to the new baby once the baby is ready to move into a convertible.

If your child has outgrown a RN by height, would you feel as though they are ready for a booster? DS will be 4 in March and I'm guessing he'd get another year out the RN. I don't want to by another harness seat once he outgrows the RN so I need to make sure he'll fit in a booster once he's done with the RN. If 5 is still to young for a part time booster then I think I'll have to get the GN which would last him longer for his height. Our new baby will be in a SS1 in that car for now so I know I will have at least a year from now until the baby will be out of the SS1.

ADS

tl01

I'm still thinking that the width of the Frontier might be a bummer. I just love how narrow the RN is when I have seats next to each other. Is the RN a bad idea?

brightredmtn

How often does he ride in your DH's car? Is it infrequently enough that that time could be booster training time when he outgrows a RN?

tl01

How often does he ride in your DH's car? Is it infrequently enough that that time could be booster training time when he outgrows a RN?

Right now, it is once a week or once every two weeks. I imagine once the new baby is here though it might be closer to twice a week. At the moment though we have to switch my seat to the other car when we need him to ride in his car so I don't have anyone who can pick him up in a pinch. Not a good situation. I really need to get a seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I'm still thinking that the width of the Frontier might be a bummer. I just love how narrow the RN is when I have seats next to each other. Is the RN a bad idea?

No, not a bad idea. Just won't last you as long.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC