My friend and her 2 kids were in a wreck...

mykidsmylife

Last night my friend, her hubby and 2 kids were in a head on collision last night. They hit black ice and slid about 50km's in front of the and then hit it head on.

She has a severly sprained ankle (she was the passenger) and a pretty bruised up face. Her dh is fine (driver). Her 3 yr old was in a GN and has burns from the harness. Her dd (20m) was in a rf Scenera and was 100% okay :thumbsup:.

They are home now and I am on my way to take the Blvd over for their dd.

Just wanted to share another story of how much safer rear-facing really is. Even though we already now.

Last edited:
ADS

babyherder

Glad everyone is basically ok! The car pictures are scary. Amazing that nothing much happened to the passengers.

Mommy0608

Wow, I'm so glad no one was seriously injured! Thank goodness for proper car seat usage! Hope everyone heals quickly.

mykidsmylife

I saw them today. It was more like a scratch from the harness from when he was thrown foward. It is really NOTHING compared to what could have been.

She is in an ace bandage and hoping around on one foot. She thinks she broke he finger and has cuts and bruises on her face.

I saw her dh grocery shopping. He says his neck hurts and that is about it. But they had to have food.

She also said they were only going about 30mph, so I think that is why there was less injuries. I checked out that Scenera and GN and you cannot even tell they were just in a wreck, she will save the covers and drop the seats off at the recycle center to retire them.

Heather86

Wow.....just wow..those pictures are horrible. I'm really glad they aren't more seriously injured that looks like it had the possibility of causing a lot worse.

Woo hoo ! For proper car seat use !

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
"Only 30 mph" is what the sled tests for crash tests are done. That's considered a major collision.

You said they slid 50 kilometers into what? "They hit black ice and slid about 50km's in front of the and then hit it head on." I'm just confused, sorry. If they hit another car, even though they were going 30 mph, you'd add whatever speed that car was going, so say 30 mph, and that'd be a 60 mph collision. So even more amazing that no one was seriously hurt!

I'm glad they're ok, and super glad everyone was restrained properly. You're an awesome friend for lending them a Boulevard. :)

Wendy

emars002

I saw them today. It was more like a scratch from the harness from when he was thrown foward. It is really NOTHING compared to what could have been.

She is in an ace bandage and hoping around on one foot. She thinks she broke he finger and has cuts and bruises on her face.

I saw her dh grocery shopping. He says his neck hurts and that is about it. But they had to have food.

She also said they were only going about 30mph, so I think that is why there was less injuries. I checked out that Scenera and GN and you cannot even tell they were just in a wreck, she will save the covers and drop the seats off at the recycle center to retire them.

Madison had the same thing when we were in an accident a while back - i got hit on the drivers side and that side of the harness kind of dug in her shoulder/neck and left like a scratch mark - it went away in a few days - So glad everyone is OK

mykidsmylife

They could have been doing 50-60MPH which is the speed limit. That is why I said "only doing 30" ;).

The hit the patch of black ice about 50 km from the truck so they slid from there into the truck.

I am not sure how fast the truck was going but I would assume about the same. I know they are the talk of the base and I overheard 2 people talking about the wreck tonight.

They are lucky they made it through how they did and she knows it. She will be much more of an advocate now. She has already had 2 friends who are now asking about ERF who never really cared before.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, that's fantastic! No huge injuries AND other kids being made safer. :)

50 km is 31 miles. Hence a bit of my confusion.

That was a huge wreck they were in if both were going 30 mph. That's twice the speed of a sled test, and exponentially more powerful and dangerous. I'm so glad they're ok.

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Another reason to be careful of used seats. You can not always tell they have been crashed. I have my seat from my crash still, there is no damage that can be seen.

mykidsmylife

Yeah I can see the confusion. LOL. I didnt feel like doing the math hence why I used KM and MPH. LOL.

I was suprised at the condition of the seats. I want to take a better look maybe Monday when I go over there. I also want t help her get them ready for the recycling center. I need to take dome frustration out on something. ;)

I hope it opens more eyes. So far it has. And I am greatful they are okay.

lovinwaves

Is that Honda Civic? Looks like it performed beautifully.

Glad to hear they are alright, and that they continued to rear-face their baby past 1 years old. :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

So glad everyone turned out so well... looking at the pics, it could have been much worse.

and I'd take harness burns any day... means the harness kept her in.

I'm glad she'll properly dispose of the seats and hope they all recover quickly.

mykidsmylife

It is a Dodge Stratus. Good Car. But they will most likely be looking for another car. They are pretty positive it is totalled.
I just talked to her and she is going to get a Radian XTSL for the 20m old and another GN for her 3 yr old.

all together ooky

Glad they are okay! If she hasn't gotten rid of her seats yet, she can do the Trade-In thing at BRU and get new seats...(well, not a Radian)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC