I'm stuck....

up north mama

This summer I forsee a problem:

I drive a 2002 Chev Venture. It has 3 seperate (same size) seats in the middle row and a bench in the third row.

Every other weekend I have 6 juvenile passengers in my van at the same time. All 4 rear outboard positions have lap/ shoulder belts. The center seats are lap belt only.

I have 3 boosters and a high back booster in the 4 outboard positions.

My 6 month old daughter is in her infant carrier in the middle row, middle seat. Then she will be in a Radian XTSL- RF in the same seating position (easy for me to reach).

My almost 4 year old nephew is FF in a Britax Marathon in the 3rd row middle seat. He is on the top harness slots now with about 1/2 inch to grow.

I am looking for a new seat for my nephew, but here are my problems:
The XTSL does not offer much more shoulder height for him... at least not enough to justify the price tag.
The Regent offers enough room to grow, but will not puzzle with any of my many booster seats in the third row.
I don't know if the Nautilus and Frontier will puzzle (haven't tried yet), but they seem spendy for just an extra inch of harness height. * beings that that seat is lap belt only I would not be able to use it as a HBB in that seating position.
I could fit my daughter in the 3rd row and the Regent in the 2nd row, but it would be such a hassle to crawl in to buckle her in every time!
Also the XTSL and the Regent are too heavy to be swapping around every weekend!

I've thought about the Kid-Y and the RideSafer travel vest. Problem is that seating position is the only one that does not have a headrest.

I just feel stuck :(.... any other ideas? Preferably ones that won't break the bank ;)

Thanks, Beth

ADS

melniemi

I have the same van as you do. Do any of the boostered kids pass the 5 step test? Even if they just go w/o only when you have all the kids. That would give you more room, to fit a nautilus or such.

My other thought is to get a regular radian 65. It would give him a bit of growing room, hopefully a year or two, it would be much cheaper than an XTSL. It also installs wonderfully in the middle of the third row.

He would likely be short enough that using a Ride Safer Travel Vest would work. His ears shouldn't be above the seatback yet, even w/o a headrest there.

Btw, which boosters are you using to puzzle with the marathon? I had a pw/ma/pw in my third row and it was very tight!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The 86-Y harness can be used with a high-backed booster, to both adjust the lap belt fit, and provide head support. You can order the 86-Y for around $80 or less, so the total cost could probably be less than $200 (depending on the booster you get.)

up north mama

Btw, which boosters are you using to puzzle with the marathon? I had a pw/ma/pw in my third row and it was very tight!

I have the 2 biggest kids in the 3rd row in HJP Literider backless boosters. I just bought them and LOVE them!! They taper down at the base and leave plenty of room for little fingers to buckle their seats! I bought the tan color because my vehicle seats are tan. They don't look like the usual backless boosters- no cupholders or big arm rests. The big kids are old enough (by state law) to be out of boosters so most of their friends don't ride in them anymore. I told them these were "big kid seats" and now they don't complain about boosters anymore!!! :D For 13 bucks a piece, they were TOTALLY worth the fit and stopping the fights!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC