Marathon, Ford Focus Wagon & Tall Baby

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So, we bought a Marathon today, and we're returning the Radian. It was just too much of a pain to install, and we take it in and out too often to have to fight with it - it also wasn't going to work in my parents' car. Interestingly, the Canadian manual says you can use it RF to 33lbs, but the stickers only say 30lbs. Based on the manual, and from what I've heard here about Britax saying their American seats are the same as the Canadian ones, I've turned DS back RF :) (although DH doesn't think it's a good thing - but he'd also put DS in a booster seat at 15mo :eek: ) Thanks for the input!

ADS

Mommy090804

I have been reading this forum for a couple years now, and finally registered this evening! Thank you for posting about the Radian in the Focus. We are in Canada as well and trying to determine if we should give the Radian a try. We are currently in the market for a convertible for 8 month old DS. We have a Marathon for 2 1/2 year old DD. It installs very nicely with both LATCH and seatbelt in all positions RFing, and it is very easy to tether RFing. Now I am kind of curious. Maybe we'll order a Radian from Canadian Tire just to try it out. I'm not too crazy about the RFing "foot" though, and I think we have been "spoiled" by the Marathon.

The higher harness slot height and increased longevity are definitely good selling points, not to mention the $200 price tag. What exactly made the installation difficult?

As far as RFing weight limit, we are fortunate because the MA that we have has a DOM of late 2004 and a limit of 33 lbs, so when we have to turn DD FFing, we'll just pass down the MA to her little brother (switch seats) to keep him RFing to 33lbs.

Thanks for the info, and sorry for rambling...

Shelley
DD 30 months and 28lbs - RFing in a MA
DS 8 months and 17lbs - about to outgrow his Graco Snugride

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have been reading this forum for a couple years now, and finally registered this evening! Thank you for posting about the Radian in the Focus. We are in Canada as well and trying to determine if we should give the Radian a try. We are currently in the market for a convertible for 8 month old DS. We have a Marathon for 2 1/2 year old DD. It installs very nicely with both LATCH and seatbelt in all positions RFing, and it is very easy to tether RFing. Now I am kind of curious. Maybe we'll order a Radian from Canadian Tire just to try it out. I'm not too crazy about the RFing "foot" though, and I think we have been "spoiled" by the Marathon.

The higher harness slot height and increased longevity are definitely good selling points, not to mention the $200 price tag. What exactly made the installation difficult?

As far as RFing weight limit, we are fortunate because the MA that we have has a DOM of late 2004 and a limit of 33 lbs, so when we have to turn DD FFing, we'll just pass down the MA to her little brother (switch seats) to keep him RFing to 33lbs.

Thanks for the info, and sorry for rambling...

Shelley
DD 30 months and 28lbs - RFing in a MA
DS 8 months and 17lbs - about to outgrow his Graco Snugride

I've installed the Radian in the center position of a Ford Focus FF with LATCH and it went in rock solid. I tried with the seatbelt first and could not get a tight install in the center position. Sorry, no RF install info.

I also had 3 across in this situation... RF Marathon, FF Radian, FF Marathon... all across the back of a Ford Focus. I couldn't believe they fit, each independent and rock solid installs. Both Marathons were seatbelt installs and the Radian was LATCH and neither of the Marathons were pressed against the outside doors!

Jen in Canada
Aiden FF in RN
Mikkel RF in MA

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What exactly made the installation difficult?

I have to admit the only position I tried it in was the centre rear (because that's the only place I want the seat.) I tried to install it with the belts because I find it too difficult to use the side belts when using centre LATCH. I fought with it for 30+ minutes, and it wasn't tight enough for my liking. It also sat lopsided because of the centre seat hump. The Marathon fits much better.

Mommy090804

I have to admit the only position I tried it in was the centre rear (because that's the only place I want the seat.) I tried to install it with the belts because I find it too difficult to use the side belts when using centre LATCH. I fought with it for 30+ minutes, and it wasn't tight enough for my liking. It also sat lopsided because of the centre seat hump. The Marathon fits much better.

Thanks "Unityco"! Yes, I was delighted to hear that we could use centre LATCH in the Focus with the MA, but it does make the other seatbelts inaccessible! The MA does install very nicely with seatbelt in the centre position...

I agree, 30 minutes is a little too long to fight with the installation of a seat, although we have spent that long installing other types of seats! Thanks again for your input...

Shelley

Mommy090804

I've installed the Radian in the center position of a Ford Focus FF with LATCH and it went in rock solid. I tried with the seatbelt first and could not get a tight install in the center position. Sorry, no RF install info.

I also had 3 across in this situation... RF Marathon, FF Radian, FF Marathon... all across the back of a Ford Focus. I couldn't believe they fit, each independent and rock solid installs. Both Marathons were seatbelt installs and the Radian was LATCH and neither of the Marathons were pressed against the outside doors!

Jen in Canada
Aiden FF in RN
Mikkel RF in MA

Jen, just one more question. I am not sure if you have a wagon. We have a 2002 wagon, and it doesn't have LATCH in the centre position. It's a little frustrating, because that is the "safest place to install" a FFing seat! Does your Focus have LATCH in the centre position? Because we have two children, it is unlikely that we will have to use that position for a FFing seat anytime soon...

I am amazed that you were able to install two MAs and a RA in the Focus! I guess position and FFing vs RFing is what matters, and the fact that the Radian is sooo narrow. Before DS was born we tried to install the Snugride beside the MA and vice versa, but couldn't get safe installs. They were both RFing, and just too wide. It would have been great, since now we cannot have an extra passenger in the car!

I think if this was our third child, we would definitely be buying a Radian, but undecided for the moment...sorry for rambling...thanks for the info!

Shelley

beebear23

Senior Community Member
This is a list of the car seats and the car seat combinations I have had in my Focus.

Let me know if the file doesn't show up. It's a pdf...

Attachments

• Focus car seat list.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 10

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen, just one more question. I am not sure if you have a wagon. We have a 2002 wagon, and it doesn't have LATCH in the centre position. It's a little frustrating, because that is the "safest place to install" a FFing seat! Does your Focus have LATCH in the centre position? Because we have two children, it is unlikely that we will have to use that position for a FFing seat anytime soon...

I am amazed that you were able to install two MAs and a RA in the Focus! I guess position and FFing vs RFing is what matters, and the fact that the Radian is sooo narrow. Before DS was born we tried to install the Snugride beside the MA and vice versa, but couldn't get safe installs. They were both RFing, and just too wide. It would have been great, since now we cannot have an extra passenger in the car!

I think if this was our third child, we would definitely be buying a Radian, but undecided for the moment...sorry for rambling...thanks for the info!

Shelley

It's actually not my car, but my best friend's. It is a Focus Wagon, I think an '02 or '03.

There is no LATCH in the center, however per the owners manual you can use the outboard LATCH anchors for a center install providing your carseat allows you to use anchors that are spaced "further apart then the normal" (they gave a specific number here, can't remember what it was) positioning of outboard LATCH anchors. Both the Radian and the Marathon allow you to use "further apart than normal" anchors. Therefore, the Radian was installed using 1 outboard anchor from each outboard position in the vehicle.

I must say that I did not have any problem installing the Marathons using the seatbelts. Nor did I have any issues getting to the buckles even though the Radian was installed first using the LATCH anchors.

The Radian actually fit better next to the FF Marathon than the RF one, although there was no issue with the RF Marathon next to the Radian either.

Hope that did not confuse you more,
Jen in Canada
Aiden FF in RN
Mikkel RF in MA

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC