Question Options for secondary 5pt harness seat?

Kayleen

So DD is almost 26 months old (27# and ~33.5 inches tall) and we have not had a secondary carseat for her ever. We used the SS1 until she was 15months (finally reached 21#) and then the GN after (before I knew anything about ERF). She has the GN in the van which is the primary vehicle. She has ridden in DH's truck about 4 times total since birth.

I am looking to find a secondary FF seat for her as I hate to take the GN out of my van (really difficult to use the top tether spot to install it again) and it seems the only times she needs to ride in the truck is when it is cold (MN Winter) and crappy outside. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a seat that she rarely will use, but I think we should have a second seat just in case. Can't believe we made it this long without one.

I am considering a Scenara convertible seat, but I think she will be on the 3rd slots (2nd from top). Haven't had a chance to really try a proper fit in the seat, just a quick sit in a display model. I am looking for other options. I want her harnessed as long as possible, while having an easy to install seat that will last as long as possible. Other options or great deals out there? DH also doesn't want the seat permanantly installed so easy in and out would be good.

My reasoning on the Scenara is that it will hopefully last till she's 40# (at least for the next 2 years) so it will give us more time to find a new seat that will fit her then. I figure $45 for about 2 years of use (probably about 5 actual uses) is pretty good. Make sense?

Any other ideas? TIA.

ETA: Thank you for your opinions on ERF, however she is 2 years old now and I do not plan on changing her back now. This works for us. If she was 13-14 months I would have no issues with the ERF, however she is not.

Since you are all so knowledgeable about many different kinds of carseats, I was hoping to either validate the scenara to use for the secondary seat or see if you all had any other ideas on other seats that would work for the situation I described. Thanks again. Not here to be flamed because I don't want to turn her around RF.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd get a rear facing seat for your car and put the Nautilus in his. Or get two new seats and put the Nautilus in storage. No reason to not make her safer just because you didn't know about it 11 months ago. :)

Wendy

Maedze

I'd get a rear facing seat for your car and put the Nautilus in his. Or get two new seats and put the Nautilus in storage. No reason to not make her safer just because you didn't know about it 11 months ago. :)

Wendy

Exactly that :)

At her age, I wouldn't even consider having her forward facing. There's no reason you can't make her safe again now that you know :thumbsup:

How about selling the Nautilus, buying a Graco My Ride for your vehicle and a Scenera for DH's and using them both correctly rear facing?

At the very bare minimum, put the Nautilus aside for DH and purchase a convertible for your vehicle, to keep her rear facing as long as possible.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep, I agree with Wendy (and Maedze, we cross-posted!) I know it seems silly to put as "nice" of a seat as the Nautilus into a "secondary" position of use, but at 26mos I'd get a new RFing seat for your car, and put the Nautilus in DH's. Or, store/sell the Nauti and get a Scenera for DH and something that RFs longer for yours. Truthfully, IMO, I would go with "RF as long as possible" by far as my priority over "harness as long as possible." (But I'm not a tech, that's just my feeling on the subject.)

I've turned around older kids (18mos, 2y4m, 3y6m, 2y6m when I re-RF'd them... right off the top of my head) who had ridden forward for a good length of time and they've all either been fine with it, or even liked it better. (I've actually been surprised how many are really thrilled to be "sitting backwards.")

We can give you a list of recommendations, or you could even start with the Scenera, since I bet she'd fit in it even RFing for a good while. :)

Kayleen

Thank you for your opinions on ERF, however she is 2 years old now and I do not plan on changing her back now. This works for us. If she was 13-14 months I would have no issues with the ERF, however she is not.

Since you are all so knowledgeable about many different kinds of carseats, I was hoping to either validate the scenara to use for the secondary seat or see if you all had any other ideas on other seats that would work for the situation I described. Thanks again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Since RFing isn't an option I'd look at the Evenflo Maestro. No sense buying a convertible if you're not going to rear face in it. For $35 more you can get three or so more years out of the Maestro with 18" top slots and a 50 pound harness limit.

Wendy

MomToEliEm

What about an Evenflo Maestro. It is pretty new still, but is now showing up in stores. It has a top harness position of about 18 inches so it is pretty close to what the nautilus's 18.5 inch top harness position. It only harnesses to 50lbs, but for many children, that is when they would outgrow the harness. It only costs around $75 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...r Seats&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a), it is a pretty good value. It doesn't work well as a booster seat though as the booster top guide is about the same height as the harness.

Kayleen

Thanks for the Evenflo Maestro recs. I hadn't heard of it before. Exactly why I knew you guys would know what's out there. I will have to check it out in person (if I can find it). That is a good price too for the number of times it would be used. Thanks.

Carrie_R

Thank you for your opinions on ERF, however she is 2 years old now and I do not plan on changing her back now. This works for us. If she was 13-14 months I would have no issues with the ERF, however she is not.

Just for the record... the reason you got several recommendations for re-RFing your daughter is because she can still benefit from it for several years, (it's typically recommended here up to age 4, due to the way the bones ossify,) and so she would still be significantly safER RFing. Many (most) parents who come here looking for recs are familiar with the minimums (1yr/20lbs to FF,) and so there's a general effort here to educate about best practice. Nine months ago, I learned that I was just following minimums, thanks to all of the information around here, so I try to give advice according to what I now know is best.

That said, I think the Maestro sounds like a good plan for a FFer. Since she's still fairly light, you could also try something like the Chase (40lb limit but higher slots) or, alternatively, the Generations 65.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That said, I think the Maestro sounds like a good plan for a FFer. Since she's still fairly light, you could also try something like the Chase (40lb limit but higher slots) or, alternatively, the Generations 65.

The Chase has top slots just shy of 17", so an inch lower than the Maestro. The Generations 65, while having 15 pounds more of harness weight limit has top slots 1.5" lower than the Maestro's; around 16.5".

Wendy

Carrie_R

Right. I was just trying to give some options in case she couldn't find the Maestro IRL and didn't want to shop online or ship it (some people don't.) I definitely agree that the Maestro makes the most sense.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC