Three across in a Subaru (pic heavy)

crunchierthanthou

It seems like this comes up rather often. I've been playing around for the past few days since acquiring a Radian. Let's just say it's gone a bit better than the last time I tried. I guess two more years experience and half a dozen more seats makes a difference. :eek:

Here are the seats I have tried -

Nautilus
Coccoro
Radian
Marathon
Avenue
Scenera
FP Safe Voyage Booster

I also have a HB Turbo Booster, AMP backless booster, and older SnugRide if anyone wants to see more combos.

I drive a 2001 Outback. Here's what my back seat looks like.
contour.jpg

Which, judging by the photos on edmunds.com is comparable to at least the 2000-2006 Outback, Legacy and Impreza, and the 2000-2008 Forester. If anything, my buckle stalks are longer than the newer models. It's 50" wide. All are seatbelt installs. I also double checked throughout to make sure they were independently secure. Oh, and I'm a kneeler. I don't think you have to kneel on them to get good installs, but it seems to work best in my car and I'm not that coordinated. I need both hands when I'm tightening the belts. :eek:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

GN, RN, CCO

rf RN next to GN

rfradian.jpg

technically this works, but the GN overlaps the door just a bit. In fact, ds can't open the door from the inside, so I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

dooroverlap-1.jpg

doorhandle-1.jpg

rfCCOside.jpg

from the back
rfCCOrear.jpg

GN, RN, MA

siderfMA.jpg

overlap of the MA and RN
rearrfMA.jpg

ff MA didn't work here because rf RN and ff Britax convertibles generally don't puzzle well.

crunchierthanthou

RN, CCO, MA

ffMArfCCORN.jpg

I really had to compress the edge of the seat and the MA is moved over as far as possible-
ffMArfCCORN.jpg

rfMACCORNside.jpg

from the back
rfMACCORNrear.jpg

The Avenue and Scenera really did better in that position than the MA (see first post of pics).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
2000 Outback:

bad pics.

RF Radian
Start
Frontier

100_0580.jpg

100_0579.jpg

The start tilted a little, so we ended up moving the radian to the center and the start outboard.

crunchierthanthou

The three across questions often involve a booster rider. I hate to say it didn't go all that well. I've only tried the FPSV Booster, as it's the narrowest. It did fit in a few scenarios, but was difficult to buckle and isn't even available any more.

FPSVB.jpg

The space to buckle, after pulling booster to the side-
FPSVBbuckle.jpg

uh, ignore the wonky seatbelt, :eek: but notice how the wing is behind the Radian a bit.
FPSVboosteroutboardfront.jpg

FPSVboosteroutboardrear.jpg

It was actually easier to buckle in the center because the CCO shell is cut away toward the bottom

FPSVBcenterfront.jpg

it tilted a little next to the Radian, and on the hump.
FPSVBcenter.jpg

todzwife

We got 47" across the seat of the Forester.

IMG_2228.jpg

RFing Keyfit
FF RN
FF marathon (yes, I added the HUGS after I posted this pic)

A scenera also fits where the keyfit is, but does NOT fit on the other side.

We have an 08 Tribeca now. It's slightly wider, but still kind of a PITA for seats.

crunchierthanthou

We got 47" across the seat of the Forester.

thanks for the pic! where were you measuring? My 50" was at the widest part of the bottom (also, that's the distance between the door handles). The back and bight are slightly narrower, but often seats can overhang that and still be installed properly. You can see that with the Radian here -

FPSVBcenterfront.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC