Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Is there a point when the GN doesn't need to be ta'd?

I was installing a GN in my car and as I crawled through the back to latch the TA I was told it wasn't needed. Is there a point where this is so? It was being used FF as a harnessed seat. I did it anyway. Could it have hurt anything? I would really like to know since I will likely have her w/ me more often soon.

Also, just for future ref, the three across w/ it, the sr, and TFP worked well in the 04 explorer. I did a seatbelt install since the latch strap was beside dd's seat and she was sleeping. I did remove the headrest.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Raegansmom4's Avatar

Re: Is there a point when the GN doesn't need to be ta'd?

I'm guessing you mean the top tether? The GN did well in testing w/o the top tether, but its use greatly reduces head excursion and is highly recommended if a tether spot is available.
    Amy - former CPST
    Raegan (11/4/05) - Seat belt
    Brinlee (3/16/08) - Backless booster
    Harper (2/12/2016) - Chicco Keyfit 30

Quote Originally Posted by Raegansmom4 View Post
    I'm guessing you mean the top tether? The GN did well in testing w/o the top tether, but its use greatly reduces head excursion and is highly recommended if a tether spot is available.
    Yes, that is what I meant.

I will continue to do it.

It just threw me for a loop. I guess I see where her mom came to the conclusion. I just guess I would want to use it if possible, kinda like an rf tether if offered, Kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by trippsmom View Post
    I was installing a GN in my car and as I crawled through the back to latch the TA I was told it wasn't needed. Is there a point where this is so? It was being used FF as a harnessed seat. I did it anyway. Could it have hurt anything? I would really like to know since I will likely have her w/ me more often soon.

Also, just for future ref, the three across w/ it, the sr, and TFP worked well in the 04 explorer. I did a seatbelt install since the latch strap was beside dd's seat and she was sleeping. I did remove the headrest.
    You removedwhat headrest? On the vehicle seat I assume? Just making sure not the head of the GN

Graco does not require the use of the tether, but it is always strongly recomended. Short of an emergency, I won't put one of my kids FF w/o one.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    You removedwhat headrest? On the vehicle seat I assume? Just making sure not the head of the GN

Graco does not require the use of the tether, but it is always strongly recomended. Short of an emergency, I won't put one of my kids FF w/o one.
    I removed the headrest on the vehicle seat, not the GN.

I really wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by tethering it. I thought there could be a chance that it was not to be tethered after x lbs or x inches.

All harnessed seats should be tethered forward facing, if possible.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

http://carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#toptether
    Picture of how much further the head and feet fly when a seat isn't tethered.

Always, always top tether a harnessed seat (most cars can even have top tether anchors added, it's a pretty substantial safety feature, whether it's legally required or not).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

I agree... I don't see why you would ever NOT tether a harnessed seat... unless the manual specifies otherwise.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos