Is there a point when the GN doesn't need to be ta'd?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I was installing a GN in my car and as I crawled through the back to latch the TA I was told it wasn't needed. Is there a point where this is so? It was being used FF as a harnessed seat. I did it anyway. Could it have hurt anything? I would really like to know since I will likely have her w/ me more often soon.

Also, just for future ref, the three across w/ it, the sr, and TFP worked well in the 04 explorer. I did a seatbelt install since the latch strap was beside dd's seat and she was sleeping. I did remove the headrest.

ADS

Raegansmom4

I'm guessing you mean the top tether? The GN did well in testing w/o the top tether, but its use greatly reduces head excursion and is highly recommended if a tether spot is available.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I'm guessing you mean the top tether? The GN did well in testing w/o the top tether, but its use greatly reduces head excursion and is highly recommended if a tether spot is available.

Yes, that is what I meant. :)

I will continue to do it.

It just threw me for a loop. I guess I see where her mom came to the conclusion. I just guess I would want to use it if possible, kinda like an rf tether if offered, Kwim?

NannyMom

I was installing a GN in my car and as I crawled through the back to latch the TA I was told it wasn't needed. Is there a point where this is so? It was being used FF as a harnessed seat. I did it anyway. Could it have hurt anything? I would really like to know since I will likely have her w/ me more often soon.

Also, just for future ref, the three across w/ it, the sr, and TFP worked well in the 04 explorer. I did a seatbelt install since the latch strap was beside dd's seat and she was sleeping. I did remove the headrest.

You removedwhat headrest? On the vehicle seat I assume? Just making sure not the head of the GN ;)

Graco does not require the use of the tether, but it is always strongly recomended. Short of an emergency, I won't put one of my kids FF w/o one.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
You removedwhat headrest? On the vehicle seat I assume? Just making sure not the head of the GN ;)

Graco does not require the use of the tether, but it is always strongly recomended. Short of an emergency, I won't put one of my kids FF w/o one.

I removed the headrest on the vehicle seat, not the GN.

I really wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by tethering it. I thought there could be a chance that it was not to be tethered after x lbs or x inches.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... I don't see why you would ever NOT tether a harnessed seat... unless the manual specifies otherwise.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC