BRU

cmm7

BRU is holding something this Saturday from 11-3 about CPS. It says there will be seat demonstrations, hand outs, question and answer time, and CPS professionals (techs?). Supposedly it is at all locations.

I know what I'll be doing on Saturday!

ADS

skipspin

There is a seat check at our "big" Babies R Us on the 17th. As long as I'm not out of town I'm helping. The last check at a BRU I helped at had several techs from the local Childrens hospital that are very active with Safekids and they had GREAT info, were bringing up extended RFing and all of that, so hopefully there are some other good ones around.

crystal vowell

There is a seat check at our "big" Babies R Us on the 17th. As long as I'm not out of town I'm helping. The last check at a BRU I helped at had several techs from the local Childrens hospital that are very active with Safekids and they had GREAT info, were bringing up extended RFing and all of that, so hopefully there are some other good ones around.

That's good to know.I just was not sure if the op knew they may not recommend extended rf,and use best practice.From my experience you either get a good tech or a bad one.I've been to several checks and the tech just installs the seat and sends you on your way.Not a lot of techs I've met teach you to install the seat yourself probably because of time.

southpawboston

That's good to know.I just was not sure if the op knew they may not recommend extended rf,and use best practice.From my experience you either get a good tech or a bad one.I've been to several checks and the tech just installs the seat and sends you on your way.Not a lot of techs I've met teach you to install the seat yourself probably because of time.

^^^ yep! and sometimes they're in a big rush, so they just get the seat in there and don't do any educating. (the tech we went to made some fatal mistakes, too, which i have since realized from being here!) :rolleyes:

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Yep.. I'm volunteering my time out my local BRU to make sure the info. is correct and to see if I can help anyone. Now I just need to find my business cards, change the phone number on all of them and have them ready to go....

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Yep.. I'm volunteering my time out my local BRU to make sure the info. is correct and to see if I can help anyone. Now I just need to find my business cards, change the phone number on all of them and have them ready to go....

There is a check this Sat at BRU, are you going to come up? I am going and so is Sallie.

Rachel
cpst

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
Our local Safe Kids is "staffing" the volunteers at a few of our area BRUs. I've volunteered before in past years, but we are also doing a seat check so I'll be helping with that this year.

I have to say, I was surprised at the amount of people that insisted that they didn't need any information about car seats or checks.. "their seats were installed right." :rolleyes:

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
There was a guy at a check who had a bet with his wife that their seat was right, she said it wasn't and so he came to the check. She won. LOL

I think if we could bet dads $5 that their seat is wrong, it would pay for lunch after the check. LOL The chance of loosing is pretty low.

Rachel

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
The seatcheck for my CPS class is tomorrow (Thurs) at one the local BRU. They (the fire dept and sheriff's office) do them routinely and gets 100s of folks. They log in about 3000 seats checked each year... They're really good, too, esp. about the extended RF. It'll be interesting tomorrow since it will be my first seatcheck ever - not just for the CPS cert. but also as a parent... :( After learning what I've learned in the past few months, I really wish we'd gone to a check before...

beebear23

Senior Community Member
There is a check this Sat at BRU, are you going to come up? I am going and so is Sallie.

Rachel
cpst

I doubt it.. I should, but.... I think I'd be more useful in Fairfield plus I have something going on that night. Plus something going on Fri. night and Cias will be at my IL's and I have no idea when he'll be home(either Sat. or Sun.)...

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I doubt it.. I should, but.... I think I'd be more useful in Fairfield plus I have something going on that night. Plus something going on Fri. night and Cias will be at my IL's and I have no idea when he'll be home(either Sat. or Sun.)...

Sounds like Fairlfield needs you more than we do, there are usually 8 or more techs at these and now that they are by apt they are not as busy. Try and get something going down there, how hard is it to start up Safekids whatever county it is?

Rachel

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
The seatcheck for my CPS class is tomorrow (Thurs) at one the local BRU. They (the fire dept and sheriff's office) do them routinely and gets 100s of folks. They log in about 3000 seats checked each year...

Interesting... our seat checks are all by appointment only, even the ones at BRUs. Usually about 4hrs long w/ appointments every 20-30min...and around 10-15 techs.

Dillipop

I think you will be seeing an influx of checks this weekend. Sunday is the first day of CSP Week according to NHTSA. They are calling for Sunday to be National Seat Check day. There is even a check at our local BRU on Monday, and there are almost never any big events in my state. It's too bad there is not any info out there about this week. At least none that I've seen.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Interesting... our seat checks are all by appointment only, even the ones at BRUs. Usually about 4hrs long w/ appointments every 20-30min...and around 10-15 techs.

I think they have appts but that's only if you stop by the Fire Dept or something...? For the ones at BRUs in our area, they're usually just a drop-by kind of thing. Folks wait in line until it's their turn, and then they pull into a bay/station. They usually get 75-100 cars. Today was absolutely the coldest day ever, so there were only about 15. We worked in teams of 2-3 people so we each got to do 2-3 cars.

We had our whole CPST class (20+), four instructors, plus other deputies/fire fighters who showed up to assist. These folks are really good!

skaterbabs

I'll be doing a check Sat this week and Sat next week, but not at BRU. :rolleyes:

Saturday, Feb. 10th CPS Event is 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. at the Chick-fil-A on Pump Road (Ukrop's Shopping Center); and

Saturday, Feb. 17th CPS Event is 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. at Dominion Chevrolet (12050 West Broad Street - across from Strange's Nursery) in their indoor service bay

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I think they have appts but that's only if you stop by the Fire Dept or something...? For the ones at BRUs in our area, they're usually just a drop-by kind of thing. Folks wait in line until it's their turn, and then they pull into a bay/station. They usually get 75-100 cars. Today was absolutely the coldest day ever, so there were only about 15. We worked in teams of 2-3 people so we each got to do 2-3 cars.

We had our whole CPST class (20+), four instructors, plus other deputies/fire fighters who showed up to assist. These folks are really good!

We do one drop-by check each year at the Baby & Toddler Expo. Runs for three days, during the hours of the Expo!! All other checks are appt only. They used to do drop-by but they ended up extending the checks by HOURS each time in order to accomodate everyone.

They closed the site of the Expo last summer though and I have no idea if they are moving it elsewhere... so no huge 3-day check this year.

We do have a network of permanent stations (each 2x/month) and then extra checks through the spring and fall that all run by appointment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC