Proposed new booster legislation (UT)

crunchierthanthou

a bill was introduced today that will undermine our booster law passed in 2008 (8 years or 57"). :mad:

http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillint/hb0113.pdf

here's the text of the proposed change -
(c) Notwithstanding the requirement under Subsection (1)(a)(ii), a person:
(i) is not required to use a child restraint device to restrain a person who is five years of
age or older but younger than eight years of age if:
(A) the operator of the motor vehicle is operating the motor vehicle directly to or from:
(I) the operator's residence; and
(II) (Aa) a school where one of the passengers is enrolled;
(Bb) a church sponsored activity; or
(Cc) an organized recreational activity;
(B) the distance from the operator's residence and the location described in Subsection
(1)(c)(i)(A)(II) is four miles or less; and
(C) all available child restraint devices in the vehicle are being occupied; and
(ii) shall provide for the protection of a person described in this Subsection (1)(c) by
securing, or causing to be secured, a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt on the person.

so basically, no booster needed if the child is over age 5, you're within 4 miles of your house, and it's a scheduled activity. oh, and as long as you don't actually have any type of restraint available in the vehicle. Apparently the bill sponsor is failing to recognize that most crashes happen close to home. It does say that you have to provide a seatbelt according to the seatbelt law, but that has a nifty little loophole saying that you can have more passengers than seatbelts, as long as all seatbelts are in use. :doh:

On the plus side, my neighbor who loads up all the kids from his street into the back of his suv to drive them to school wouldn't be breaking the law anymore. :rolleyes:.

ADS

christineka

Not that the bill would change anything. Kids going to school or church sit in the front seat unbuckled with one other person up there. Is there any way to fight this legislation?

MomToEliEm

Wow, that wording sure includes a lot of exceptions. Why even have a booster seat law if it includes all those things. I guess with a booster seat law on the books, they might get off some of the "states with no booster seat law" news articles that have been floating around lately, though this law really isn't much better then having no booster seat law at all.

TnT's Mom

Wow...that is ridiculous. It sounds like they are trying to basically make unsafe carpooling legal. Go ahead, pack as many kids in as you can, it'll be fine...you're only traveling less than 4 miles and we all know nothing happens if you are only going less than four miles....ughh.

christineka

a bill was introduced today that will undermine our booster law passed in 2008 (8 years or 57"). :mad:

http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillint/hb0113.pdf

so basically, no booster needed if the child is over age 5,

Actually, it is over age 4. Once the child is 5 and all the stipulations are met (and who's to say they aren't in any given occasion), then they can ride without a booster. It's basically back to the old law.

crunchierthanthou

Actually, it is over age 4. Once the child is 5 and all the stipulations are met (and who's to say they aren't in any given occasion), then they can ride without a booster. It's basically back to the old law.

you're right. 5 and over, not over 5. I knew it meant once they turn 5, but didn't say it clearly.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think this is for all those folks who want their neighbor to drive their kid home from church activities. :rolleyes: Because people who go to church NEVER get in crashes, at least not coming home...

(Sorry, I've run into that attitude too many times at activities at church.)

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I think this is for all those folks who want their neighbor to drive their kid home from church activities. :rolleyes: Because people who go to church NEVER get in crashes, at least not coming home...

(Sorry, I've run into that attitude too many times at activities at church.)

Strange, we were in a crash while taking my older brother to Boy Scouts...guess where that was held?!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
That's absolute BS. Even if you weren't on your way to school/church, you could always say you were. How would a cop know otherwise?

Dillipop

There is no way I am telling my IL's in Utah about this proposition. They'd be the first in line to get it passed. They all live in a 4 mile radius of each other and this would mean they never have to worry about having enough seats or belts or anything for everyone. Although, even the laws as they stand now don't stop them from making bad vehicle decisions.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
"a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt"

Here's the loop-hole back into the booster law. A seat belt cannot be properly adjusted to fit two people at the same time, and a person who does not pass the 5 step test is not wearing a properly adjusted belt either. Therefore, this exception to the booster law does not apply.

christineka

Anyone not in Utah have a great email for me to copy and send for you? I'll make one, but some of you can write awesome things- much better than what I would write. I'm still thinking of what to write.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Why bother passing the 8 year old booster legislation if it's just going to be basically overturned? It just seems insane to me and a giant waste of taxpayer dollars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC