Cosco/Eddie Bauer Prospect

flipper68

Senior Community Member
(my box doesn't say Prospect or Cubb)

I'm helping my cousin look for a spare seat for DDs - they've outgrown the convert. seats and they have expired that they were using. They'll be 3 in a couple of weeks but are quite tall - 14 1/2" torso for the taller of the two girls, yet only only 32 pounds and quite active/squirrelly.

I decided to try out the Prospect. The local Target had the Eddie Bauer version. The top 2 slots are slightly higher than the Chase. We also liked that the base seems deep (most likely will be long legged), that it can convert to booster and then a backless booster (although dad doesn't have head supports in his truck).

BUT

:( NEGATIVE install for:

'03 Ford Windstar - captain's chair - the heavy stalk made it impossible to buckle in correctly. It sticks out on the outside of the seat - VERY far away from the belt path. {I didn't try the LATCH since I knew I would be returning the seat anyway

'05 Camry - middle and outboard (tried seat belt & latch outboard)

'01 Ford F150 extended cab - outboard - since there will be two

In both the PU and the Camry, initially it is a tight install but it loosed when shifted side to side 3-4 times. [While I was in the garage, it was only 20 degrees out. I still was sweatin' in a t-shirt.]

IMO, this belt path has the same problem as the Eddie Bauer IO seat: the path is too narrow/too far away from seat belt/latch anchor points. :mad: In addition, the wide armrests prevented the seatbelt or the latch from being FLAT and SMOOTH.

Back to square one in search of a "spare" seat for dad's truck.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have checking out the new Dorel (Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer) car seats this year. A new thing I have noticed is the booster seat mode is rated at 40 pounds. If the kids are tall and skinny, will they make it to 40 pounds before going out of the harness slots?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I also posted a review of this seat > http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8911

I found that it installed all of these vehicles securely, although not as easily as my Britaxes :rolleyes:

My daughter has not yet reached 40# at 5 years old & outgrew most Cosco harnesses before her 4th birthday -- when using the CUbb/Prospect as a booster the headrest pushed one shoulder forward to make her unsafely positioned in the shoulder belt.... She is now also even with the slots on the Apex & I'm crossing my fingers that she still fits it on our visit to Daddy's on the Reservation! (I'm brining the RSTV just in case)

scatterbunny

I have checking out the new Dorel (Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer) car seats this year. A new thing I have noticed is the booster seat mode is rated at 40 pounds. If the kids are tall and skinny, will they make it to 40 pounds before going out of the harness slots?

Good point, and doubtful for most of their seats. I have heard (haven't checked out the Prospect myself) that the top slots are a bit taller than other Dorel combos. Also, the Safety 1st Intera has darn high top slots for a Dorel seat. That one does have a good chance of lasting to 40 pounds in the harness.

flipper68

Senior Community Member

It'll be close. It depends how the adding height vs. adding weight goes. It also depends on whether the height gained is in the torso or the legs. My cousin discussed above was 'just right' at the 3rd slot and she's about 39" with a 14" torso.

I have to disagree with papooses - I've installed bunches of seats in various cars and aside from RF Alphas and that weird round Eddie Bauer IO base that came out a while ago, this was the worst seat I've tried to install.

Specifically, I put older Evenflos in the previously mentioned PU. At various times I put a Chase, Airway, SnugRide, MA (next to the Airway), and Scenera (next to the SnugRide) in the Camry and each took seconds. (It took as long to take the head rests out as it did to install the seat.)

I fought the Prospect for 20-25 minutes in the Camry, trying every trick in my book: LATCH, twisting belt stalk, flipping the buckle, REALLY leaning into it (I have a lot of weight behind me :eek: ). Each time, I thought I had it tight but as I pushed it side to side, it loosened up. :(

IMO, the belt path through the seat back is too flat & narrow to allow the seat belt or LATCH to tighten without allowing side to side movement. [It reminded me of Boy Scout "Skill Awards" - metal loops that go on the web belt of the uniform. There's no way to keep them from sliding around.

I certainly would want to check it carefully in the intended vehicle before throwing away the receipt.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I also posted a review of this seat > http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8911

I found that it installed all of these vehicles securely, although not as easily as my Britaxes :rolleyes:

My daughter has not yet reached 40# at 5 years old & outgrew most Cosco harnesses before her 4th birthday -- when using the CUbb/Prospect as a booster the headrest pushed one shoulder forward to make her unsafely positioned in the shoulder belt.quote]

I read your review and was VERY surprised you didn't report trouble with the install.

In my Camry, I've installed at various times: Chase, MA, Airway, SnugRide, Scenera, 2 boosters w/the Airway, and the MA w/the Airway. NONE of these seats gave me any difficulty, especially compared to the Prospect. The Airway was the hardest and even that is a breeze by comparison.

I spent 20-25 minutes in the back seat of my Camry with the Prospect (I'm sure the neighbors were wondering - one asked. I told him I was trying to install the seat. He looked at me questioning - "You don't have kids?". . ."Everyone needs a hobby" I replied.) I tried all the tricks I know: twisting the stalk, flipping the buckle, diving the seat, really putting my weight into it. Nothing kept it from loosening up after only 3-4 tugs.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, I wouldn't say it was easy, but very much like the Apex, which I've had a difficult time getting correct installs -- difficult, but not impossible ... I might just be used to the bruises & sweating :rolleyes: Anything short of totally impossible is acceptable & I find that the Apex loosens more than the Prospect/Cubb when I yank on the harness adjuster strap :confused: It seems to me more of a cheap plastic issue, rather than a shape design flaw -- not encouraging in the least bit, but a different type of install issue nontheless :eek:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I just re-installed this in a customers car. The car had ELR, no locking latch plate. The arms make it hard to get in and get it buckled.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
The design of the arms actually made it easier for mom to use this seat.

How so?

I'd also add:

I was sweating in the Club Cab - while I was in the garage, it was only 20 outside, but I got down to the t-shirt.

I could get it in tight in all vehicles, it just didn't STAY tight. Any helpful hints?

[We're still looking for "spare" seats for the girls. And saving toward 2 Regents. . .Which might be the solution - Regents in the van, MA in the truck or even one and one since one girl is a bit shorter.]

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Didn't notice this response till now -- sorry!

I installed the seat for my mom (she will never install a seat alone if I can help it, LOL) & the fact that she can raise the armrests makes it easier for her to get the seatbelt buckled because they're just not in the way: she doesn't have to *remember* whether the seatbelt goes over/under/front/back @@ It's just more obvious to her this way how to not misuse it (we had various repeated conversations about puting the seatbelt in the right spot with the StarRiserComfy).

I didn't have any issues with the armrests whatsoever & am confused why they're an issue for you :confused: Adjustable armrests are features many people like for other seats, too :scratcheshead: This is why we were choosing between the Compass B510, Parkway & Monarch, too. My mom just needs that added reminder of armrests that can move out of the way or are totally nonexistent!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I know I found this and I'm assuming the other poster was on the same page - it's installing it as a harnessed seat that the armrests are in the way - they are wider than the LATCH anchors and some seat belts so it's tough to get buckled.

I also found the seat belt buckle got hung up on the back of the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC