Need seat for SN child with tall harness, good recline

Mommy0608

My friend has a 35lb, 37" 4 year old with special needs. She does not sit up unsupported, so she needs a seat with lots of support and recline. I suggested the MyRide at first, but the girl's torso height is 15-16", so she wouldn't have much growing room height-wise. I'm not sure if she's tried the Recaro convertibles yet... which has a taller harness, the Como or the Signo? I have a Signo so I can go measure that (unless someone knows offhand what the harness height is, that would be great!) She'd probably like to try before she buys... anyone know of stores that would have the Recaro seats in stock? I don't live near her so she can't try mine unfortunately.

Any other seats that I should tell her about?

ADS

Evolily

I think both recaro seats have the same harness height. That's probably her best bet for a tall harness with good FFing recline.

Mommy0608

A rear-facing Radian or Complete Air would work for a while.

Thanks, I thought about that, but I don't think they'll be using the seat rear-facing. She does know the benefits, but if I remember correctly they drive a truck and it's hard to get her in and out of the seat. I emailed her to ask what vehicle she drives, and will update this thread when I get that info.

I think both recaro seats have the same harness height. That's probably her best bet for a tall harness with good FFing recline.

Como's taller. The Signo loses about 1/2 inch with the infinite adjust, just like the MA vs. BV.

Thanks! The Como has good support cushions around the head too, right? I think the Como ones are removable though... do they stay in position well?

Mommy0608

Just heard back from her. Mom has an adapted van, she rides in her wheel chair in that vehicle. Dad has a small Ford pick-up and she currently has a Graco Safe Seat 2 in the rear center seat. She needs a seat to replace this one because her weight fluctuates and she's getting close to 40lbs. I just emailed her back to ask where her shoulders are in relation to the top slots.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What about a Regent with a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Coddler-Seat-Pillow-Color/dp/B000BUQNPA"]Toddler Coddler[/ame]? The Regent can have a pretty good recline with the recline bar.

Shaunam

Is this for Kristin? ;) If so, she came to me too. If not, that's a huge coincidence that there'd be a kid with exact same stats and situation. LOL I think the como would be worth a shot. Maybe she could get it from target online so she could return it easily if she had to.

Mommy0608

Yep! This is for Kristin. :love: I know her from the epilepsy board on IV. ;)

I think the Como sounds like a good option for her... did you already mention it? I didn't know Target had it... that was going to be my next question, where to find one with a decent return policy. I kind of doubt the Regent would work, but I do appreciate the suggestion. ;)

Shaunam

Yep! This is for Kristin. :love: I know her from the epilepsy board on IV. ;)

I think the Como sounds like a good option for her... did you already mention it? I didn't know Target had it... that was going to be my next question, where to find one with a decent return policy. I kind of doubt the Regent would work, but I do appreciate the suggestion. ;)

I didn't even think about recommending the como. She asked specifically about the my ride and I just kind of prattled on about that. :eek: I told her it had a little height over the SS2, but not much, but even an inch in the torso might buy her a year. I do think the como will work though. She's not going to be one of those bigger, broad-shouldered kids so I think that part shouldn't be a problem. If anything, the snugness will be good for her.

Mommy0608

I just sent her a message on Facebook about the Como at Target. I know she needs a lot of recline. I think the Como is pretty reclined, but the only way to know if it'll be sufficient is for her to try it out. I wish this seat were a little easier to find in stores.

I had Charlie in mind when I was thinking of the MyRide, I just wasn't sure if it would give Kristin enough height.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
would a roosevelt or a traveller plus be a good fit in this case?

Either of those seats would be more likely to work. They both have the option for add on supports (it's complicated to explain, but basically there is this foam stuff you cut to fit the child that goes under the cover along the sides of the seat) that you customize to the child. Without the child to try it in however, it is hard to tell if you would be able to get enough support for the child in question. I am not a particular fan of the TP or Roosevelt for a child with no body control at all. Transferring is difficult when you have a comparatively upright seat and a large child that cannot maintain the position on their own while you buckle.

I would look at the Recaro's or the My Ride for now and reevaluate in a couple of years. At that point, wheel chair transport or a booster with a support harness that attaches to a wheelchair base may be a more feasible option than a large medical seat. There is even a booster/wheelchair option with a custom molded back.

Mommy0608

Thanks, Kimberly. I think she's trying to avoid the SN seats, at least for now. The truck that this is for is their secondary vehicle that she doesn't ride in often. She typically rides in her wheelchair in their adapted van. These might be options when she outgrows the other mainstream options (MyRide or Como/Signo).

Mommy0608

Just a little update, mom and I talked quite a bit more, and she decided to try the Como. She just ordered it from diapers.com, where they had a close-out for $145. :thumbsup: At least they have a good return policy just incase.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC