The Toyota recall

I think Toyota is toast.

We only believe in buying American vehicles so this doesn't affect me what so ever. But I do have family that ones one or more of the recalled vehicles and I'm scared for their's and everybody else on the roads safety. There have been 3 accidents reported just in my area related to the breaking problem just since the beginning of the year. And I don't even watch the news very often so there could be more and I just haven't heard about it. That's kind of a big deal to me. Espeically when I'm driving on the road with my kids.

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The arrogance isn't surprising. It was recently shown during the V-6 sludge problem.

Ultimately, it's not surprising. Reliability is a major sellign point for Toyota. They're going to do whatever they can to sweep everything under the rug. They've got lots to lose.

The domestics can be a lot freer about recalls. The general perception is that they make crap. That may or may not be true, but it is true that they have some crazy recalls all the time. So, it's not big news to the media. They report it, but no one makes a big deal cuz they go, "oh, another thing that causes the car to catch on fire and burn to the ground. Whoop de doo." After the initial Toyota recall about the floor mats, Ford came out with an even bigger recall a week later. Didn't make a peep on the national news.

I'm not surprised the domestics are jumping on this. What I'm surprised is that Honda/Nissan and the Koreans aren't making bragging ads.

The problem here is Toyota has know of this problem since 2002 instead of fixing all the effected vehicles and fixing it going forward they have chosen to place blame on floor mats for an easy cheap fix. It wasn't until some smart police officers started noting in their accident reports that the floor mats weren't even in the vehicle at the time of the accident (ex: the South Lake, TX accident in Jan. '10 that killed 4 people).

Then they blamed 1 of the vendors that makes their gas pedals but in reality that only fixed 30% of the effected vehicles. The other 70% effected have the 2nd vendors gas pedals. Honestly Toyota has no idea what the problem is and this is going to effect a lot more vehicles then what is currently listed on the recall. Ex: The Prius the last time I looked wasn't part of the recall but if you go look at some of the law suits there are a lot of Prius owners with the accelerator sticking issues. One I remember clear was a lady in CO or CA that had to put her Prius in a river because she couldn't get it to stop.

Making claims we over look American manufactures recalls or we think it's no big deal. Well 1st remember Ford's & Firestone big tire issue back in the 90"s. That was a HUGE deal and wasn't swept under the rug by no one. It killed people and we wanted answers and wanted to problem fixed. Ford took a huge reputation hit just like Toyota has and will continue too. But, Say we over look American manufacture recalls no days as no big deal isn't true and you know it. Let's be honest they haven't had recalls that effect volume that Toyota's does and that will increase by millions soon because it will turn out to be a electronic/PCM problem that will effect more vehicles & YM. You don't see GM or Ford with recalls that are killing people and effecting most of their fleet.

Resell of Toyota vehicle is going to drop because smart people currently aren't wanting to risk their lives in one.

Toyota for years has been out to be #1 and put dependability and safety on the back burner and well now it's coming to bite them in the rear. Now all the other manufactures are sitting back and laughing at them.

Making claims we over look American manufactures recalls or we think it's no big deal. Well 1st remember Ford's & Firestone big tire issue back in the 90"s. That was a HUGE deal and wasn't swept under the rug by no one. It killed people and we wanted answers and wanted to problem fixed. Ford took a huge reputation hit just like Toyota has and will continue too. But, Say we over look American manufacture recalls no days as no big deal isn't true and you know it. Let's be honest they haven't had recalls that effect volume that Toyota's does and that will increase by millions soon because it will turn out to be a electronic/PCM problem that will effect more vehicles & YM. You don't see GM or Ford with recalls that are killing people and effecting most of their fleet.

On rare occasions, the media jumps on a recall. The Explorer/Firestone was one, the Toyota one is another.

When they first started making a big deal about the Toyota recall, Ford came out with another recall for more vehicles about a week later. It barely made a peep. Now, the Toyota recall is bigger than that Ford one, but at the time, the media was already screaming like crazy about Toyota having a massive recall but couldn't care less about a bigger Ford recall.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the media/public interest with the Toyota recall has nothing to do with the recall itself. It has to do with the cover up, with the lies, with the shifting of the blame, with the incompetence/impotence of NHTSA, with the fact there have been deaths...

Again, not to say other manufacturers haven't engaged in the same practices. But right now, this is what we have in front us.

crunchierthanthou

Resell of Toyota vehicle is going to drop because smart people currently aren't wanting to risk their lives in one.

So, basically what you're saying is... you think I'm dumb? :p

Kidding aside, I've become quite a bit more leery of Toyota since I started this thread 6 weeks ago. They went from having 3 of our top 5 vehicles in consideration to not even being on the list.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC