Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Handouts?

Handouts?

So I work in Labor and Delivery. So imagine all the people you guys see with bad car seats- I see more since they all have to have one to go home. Now that I know a tad more about what I'm looking at I see some scary things. Just this morning I educated a family that carseats expire and that the policeman who told them that their seat was fine since it was unoccupied at the time of a car-totaling collision was misinformed (right?)
    SO are there any hand outs available for me to give to parents with the basics for them to look over. Even though I strongly encourage all of them to get their seats checked, I'm sure most do not.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Handouts?

I want to say that the Safe Kids site has some handouts you can print off. I was just there printing off car seat check forms and I am pretty sure I saw one for handouts.
    Amy,

SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/

For distributing to people, I really like the free booklet you can order from USAA (here is the PDF version: http://www.usaaedfoundation.org/pdf/544.pdf). It has a lot of use/misuse pictures in it which is really handy.
    To get it, go to: http://www.usaaedfoundation.org/
    Select the "Order Publications" link at the top of the form.
    Select publication "544 - Installing Child Safety Seats"
    You can order up to 100 brochures at a time via the website and they are free. If you need more, you can call them and request more. It doesn't go into extended rearfacing or extended harnessing but it covers the basics.

You can also look here for a lot of printable items:
    http://www.carseat.org/
    In the 3rd column, click on "Helpful Handouts" to see the things you can print.
    Katy

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I highly recommend the ones Katy linked from SafetyBeltSafe (carseat.org); they have ones appropriate to most basic overview type situations, and you can find just what you're looking for most of the time.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Thanks! I forwarded the link and the suggestion to my manager, who laughed because they just had a meeting about getting a tech (me someday!) at the hospital 20hrs a week and are planning to use those brochures!

Our local labor and delivery will not let preemies go home without the apnea testing in the car seat. They also had a tech come up and check my friend's child... she didn't fit in the snugride and they wouldn't let her leave the hospital. The hospital gave her a different car seat that fit her baby better (although I'm not sure which one). Thought that was real progress! The hospital has a safe kids check up there 2 nights a week.

Sandy

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

How about this list of links: http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168 .

Quote Originally Posted by nomatt View Post
    Our local labor and delivery will not let preemies go home without the apnea testing in the car seat. They also had a tech come up and check my friend's child... she didn't fit in the snugride and they wouldn't let her leave the hospital. The hospital gave her a different car seat that fit her baby better (although I'm not sure which one). Thought that was real progress! The hospital has a safe kids check up there 2 nights a week.

Sandy
    Yea, there are limits- weight and age- that we test for apnea. They sit in their own carseat for a certain amount of time with monitors on to be sure they aren't having any episodes. But since the majority of babies are neither premature nor low birth weight, they just have their own seat. And since we aren't techs, we can only tell them certain things, even though I'm not quite sure what they are. I've just been telling people all I know without actually helping them put it in. I'm just excited that they are working on getting more handouts and that they're likely going to pay for me to get trained!