Questions about the Britax Regent

Zappa

Hi,

My DD will be 3 next week and she is 39 inches tall and 37 pounds. She rides comfortably in an Evenflo Triumph Advance in my van, but in my husband's truck she is in a Cosco High Back Booster. The shoulder straps are slightly below her shoulders now, so I need to buy her a new seat to keep her harnessed.

I have done alot of reading and I believe I have narrowed my choices down to a Graco Nautilus or a Britax Regent. A few months ago I bought a GN for her to use in my Mom's car and my DD likes it, but I am concerned about the crotch strap. She is almost sitting on it now and I am not sure how much time for growth she will have. With the Regents being on sale because they have been discontinued I started looking at that as my better option.

I am very confused about the pre/post advisory stuff in regards to the Regents though. Can anyone explain? Some of the posts here talk about the Regents having too many "rules" but they don't elaborate. I would appreciate any help in clarify the debate regarding this seat so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks!

ADS

ginny4

the regent is fine & should fit your child well.
if you buy a new regen tis it more than liekly going to be a post advisory. i'm nto a 100% sure when the pre advisory was but i think sometime in 2007?
post advisory is that the recline bar MUST be used. under 40lb is the long belt path & over 40lbs for short belt path. basically you want to be sure that you can install both ways with/without latch. you MUST have a top tether anchor!! the rules can be confusing but if you read the manual carefully & ask questions here if you're not sure it'll be just fine.
if its pre advisory that means you can install which ever way you like & gets the best install.

your DD can sit on the crotch strap of the nautilus. its perfectly safe however it may nto be comfortable for her. kids don't grow all that much in that area anyway.

Zappa

ginny: Thank you. Is the post advisory Regent built differently or is the difference in instructions only?

Judi: I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and my husband has a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with regular cab.

Thanks!

ginny4

ginny: Thank you. Is the post advisory Regent built differently or is the difference in instructions only?

Thanks!

i believe its just differece in instructions only. they probably had better #'s with the new instructions. but don't quote me on that. someone else probably knows more on that than i do. hopefully they will see this post

Zappa

A girlfriend of mine owns two Regents for her 7 and 5 year old boys and is letting me come over with my DD to try one out. Hopefully, seeing/sitting in/installing one in person will help me make a decision. Whatever I decide will only be used in DH's truck until summer, when our second child is born and he will no longer be able to transport the kids in his single passenger pickup. I am still a bit confused on the meaning of the pre/post advisory stuff, but it seems like it is all personal opinion about that and less fact.

Thanks!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, it is fact. The rules changed. Pre-adv- you can use long belt path, short, with or with out the recline bar. Post-adv- you must use the relcine bar. You have to use short belt path after 40 lbs?

If you choose to do that, is up to you.

Raegansmom4

No, it is fact. The rules changed. Pre-adv- you can use long belt path, short, with or with out the recline bar. Post-adv- you must use the relcine bar. You have to use short belt path after, I believe 50 lbs?

If you choose to do that, is up to you.

short belt path is for over 40 lbs, just to clarify

Zappa

Sorry, I should of been more clear. I realize the pre/post advisory actually exists, what I meant is that it seems it is only opinion on whether the Regent is a good or bad seat because of the change.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I think it totally depends on the situation. For me, I was using it for a child that was close to outgrowing. I needed pre=adv, so I could get all the height I could get. Also, if the car has seats that aren't really deep. You may need to pre-adv. The Dodge Durango, back seat is like this. My Dodge 2500, a post-adv fits, but does not give a lot of leg room. Sometimes, you just can not get a good install with short belt path.

The pre-adv just gave us more options. Sometimes you don't need all those options. In my Windstar and Malibu, I can install any way. So it doesn't matter, unless I am harnessing a taller kiddo.

Zappa

We tried out a friend's Regent the other day and my daughter prefers the GN so I believe we will be going with that. Hopefully I do not regret this decision in the future....it is so hard to choose sometimes! I am going to trade in an Evenflo Tribute to get the 25% off coupon from BRU so the price will be comparable to the Regent. Thanks for all who gave their input.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC