Question about expired seats at checks

jeminijad

I have seen the question come up a few times about community checks, and what do technicians do when an expired seat comes through.

The answers have varied a little, but one that I've seen twice is that they "confiscate" the seat.

Is that even legal? Wouldn't you have to be a law enforcement officer to enforce a proper use law (the only legality I can think of regarding the use of expired seats.) You can't take the seat against the parent's will, can you? Or is it just an overly zealous choice of wording, and techs will take an old/dangerous seat if the parent agrees?

ETA: I am against using expired car seats! Didn't want to imply otherwise.

ADS

NVMBR02

I personally wouldn't "confiscate" a seat but would encourage the parent to give the seat to us to be destroyed and in return would replace the seat with a coalition seat (or encourage the parent to buy a new seat if the parent could afford it).

I have no been to a event where we didn't have some seats so I am not sure exactly what I would do in the even there were no seat available. My short answer would be I would not complete the check and would encourage the parent to replace the seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've never taken away one from an unwilling parent. I've taken some that they've parted with, either planned on their part or not, but I have never, and likely will never, take one away by force.

I've rarely had seats to give away. So when an expired seat comes in I make note of it on the paperwork, discuss the importance of tethering it (if it's available), show the parent or tell them how to at least get it in there well, and tell them they need to go out and buy a new seat. Which I hate to do. Often I'll give them my card so they can contact me when the new seat is bought. But as soon as the seat is seen to be expired the physical part of the check is over, I make note of it, I make sure their signature is on the paperwork, and from then on I discuss proper installs, the right seat to buy, why expired seats are unsafe, when to make changes to a seat (rear to forward, forward to booster, etc.), the three Ps (pets, projectiles, and planes) and all of that stuff. It's like talking to a parent here, but live.

If they have another seat and leave the expired one with me then I continue the check on the new seat, while making note of why I took the seat from them. But no, I don't force it out of their hands. If they haven't got a new seat I make sure they know how to get their child as safe as possible in there (not my install, though. No way would I have my hands be the last on an expired seat) and hope for the best.

Wendy

jeminijad

Sounds like what I had imagined.

I guess taking people's seats away, regardless of the legalities, is really only possibly if you have seats to donate.

Thanks.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We don't take away seats either. Now if they can prove they get assistance like WIC or Medicaid, we often have seats available for people w/ a small donation. Otherwise we have seats people can buy. I've had several people come in w/ expired seats that refused to get rid of them. One was an expired Peg Perego (since they're only good for 5 yrs) and mom and dad refused to part w/ it saying they couldn't afford a new one. Maybe they couldn't afford another PP at the time, but I know they could've afforded something. My first check, a tech friend of mine had a couple come in w/ their toddler and mom was pg. Toddler was in a nasty, 11yo, OHS seat that they refused to get rid of. Baby was going to use a brand new SS1. It's not my job to make decisions for parents, it my just to educate and let them choose.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sounds like what I had imagined.

I guess taking people's seats away, regardless of the legalities, is really only possibly if you have seats to donate.

Thanks.

Even then it's only with their permission. If a parent was using a coverless, moldy, 15 year old OHS and I offered them a brand spanking new still in the packing Scenera and they said no, there's nothing I can do about it. Obviously I would try to convince them, but there's only so many times you can try before you absolutely turn someone off to everything you're saying.

Wendy

Maedze

Ok, I think you might be imagining a horrific scene where the parent is tugging on the seat while a technician is cracking a bullwhip and shouting like a drill sergeant :p

When I say I confiscate a seat, it means I say something like, "Ok, so what we're going to do is take this seat and destroy it because it's not safe to use anymore, and we're going to give you a new seat. Can you sign here to give us permission to do so?"

jeminijad

Ok, I think you might be imagining a horrific scene where the parent is tugging on the seat while a technician is cracking a bullwhip and shouting like a drill sergeant :p

:eek: Yes that was sort of what I had imagined. Or maybe 15 techs in riot gear converge on the car, removing unacceptable gear while the parents are restrained against the trunk.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I rarely have parents refuse the free (we ask for donations but don't always get them) seats. The only time it's been a struggle was the crashed and expired Marathon that I suggested replacing with a Chase.

Jonah Baby

I rarely have parents refuse the free (we ask for donations but don't always get them) seats. The only time it's been a struggle was the crashed and expired Marathon that I suggested replacing with a Chase.

Well, Britax is safer, didn't you know?

So...no paratroopers?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If I have something to give them, I will trade them seats. If I don't I use their seat to demonstrate how to install a car seat in their car, how to adjust the harness properly, and educate them on why the seat is OK to practice with but that they really should replace it with a new one before the child gets in the car again. Then I take their seat out of the car. If they want to go ahead and practice installing and harnessing with their seat, fine, I am happy to give my opinion on how well they seem to understand the process, or tips on things they need to improve. If they leave with the child in that seat, I document that observation. I never, ever, refuse to finish a check, for any reason. (Well once I did when a woman was trying to convince me to install her n00bs seat way to upright so the baby would die and she could sue me) The goal of the check is for the child to leave safER than they arrived. They are safER in a properly used expired seat than an improperly used one, so I did my job as long as I educate and document and make sure that they are the last ones to put their seat in the car.

I can't imagine turning people away for expired seats. I do a lot of work in some very poor neighborhoods where a seat <10 yo, unrecalled, with a known history and all the correct and functioning parts is the rarity. Just the fact that these people got to a check at all is a feat that sometimes takes 2 buses and a ride from their sister's best friend's aunt. People that put that much effort into getting to a check really want to do the right thing, I'm not making them come back another day because I won't see them again 99% of the time. When a Scenera costs a week's worth of groceries, your priorities have to be flexible. I replace the very worst of the worst out of my own pocket, but I can't replace every 6year+3day old seat I see.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If they will give it up, we take it. We would rather have it, than a parent that may give it away. It doesn't always work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC