Pronto or NBB?

AtTheSouthDam

The Turbo Booster is officially outgrown. DD1 is now over the red harness guides on it. She hasn't really used it since Thanksgiving so I can't say I am too surprised but she'll need a new seat in DH's car.
Looking at the data collected it looks like the Pronto goes pretty high/tall. I think the civic would have the head rest for it for a least little longer. Otherwise I am looking at a NBB for her. She is six but she sat in one really well on vacation. And she's not in this car much. I need to get another seat anyway as I am tired of moving this one twice a week for a kid I watch Mon and Fri. He needs one with a back as he is small, the TB fits him well.

So which one NBB or Pronto? I really don't want to spend the money on another Monterey or Parkway SG for a car she doesn't ride in much. I can always move the Monterey if I know she'll be in it on a longer drive.

ETA: Or may it be worth it get a Frontier and have DD1 use it as a booster for a year or so then switch it harness mode should DD2 ever be big enough to have to FF (she doesn't want and she looks to have a year plus in her current seats...)

Last edited:
ADS

skipspin

I'd probably go for a NBB as long as she has head support.

Although I wince at the thought I've come to terms that my DD will be seven soon and I've always said that that's around the age (assuming fit and no sleep position issues) I'd be okay with a NBB. Being that my DD is harnessed at 6.5 that's quite a jump. She's only harnessed because that's the only way 3 across works without making us both crazy!

That said, we are looking at HBBs first since she sleeps some, but we're going to go with what fits her, and the seat best even if it is a NBB as long as her head doesn't slump when she sleeps. We haven't played with the seats in the new van enough and right now there are engine parts in there so I can't. Waaaa.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm slightly obsessed with having backs to my boosters, so I'd say Pronto.

I bought one for 8yo dcb who has just about outgrown his Graco Airbooster. He's about 90lbs and 53?? inches, so a solid, tall kid. He says it's comfortable and he likes it, odd to me since he doesn't use a booster anywhere else, and it's not particularly padded, but hey. I think he just likes that it's red lol.

It definitely adjusts tall -- when I first got it I sat down and put the back behind me (I didn't fit in the base) and it would have fit me, and I'm 5'4". I think the measurement is 22"? Anyways, Z has a good while in the seat yet and it fits my purposes. He won't go in a NBB until the last possible moment (my belt geometry isn't great.) Since I could get a back for about the same price as a backless, I went with it. :)

Hope that helps!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I like your Frontier idea:)

Me too... we love ours as a booster and Leah will be in it harnessed again pretty soon, unless Bitsy needs it longer..either way, we are getting our money's worth out of it and will use it most of the 9 years it's good for.

But if a cheap seat is all that's in the budget, I'm obsessed with highbacks, too, and probably would even use a Pronto :eek:

mish

If a frontier is in the budget that is what I would do. I say this with a strong bias against the pronto. I detest that seat. I'm sure it is just fine, but for some reason I cannot find the love for it.

AtTheSouthDam

Well, the frontier is in budget if I wait until the tax refund, so about three more weeks of using the TB as a NBB. But that would likely be only from my mother's house (4 miles) once in the next few weeks. Anyway, I can use the tax refund and turn in the ancient booster in my garage for the BRU25% off coupon. The only downside is then I can't get pink and it will have to be a black one :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC