I wish the TFP went to 40 lbs! (pics)

ToothDoc

I just installed our new TFP for my DD to replace her blvd, and so far I love it! It fits her well (her shoulders are just above the 2nd slots) and she seems to like it. She should last in it RFing a long time (currently about 23 lbs at almost 17 months).
I wanted to get some pics for you guys to check my install, so I had my DS try it out. He just turned 3 and is 40" tall and 36 lbs, I think his torso is about 14.5". He's just even with the 3rd slots and still has a ton of leg room! :eek: Its such a bummer I can't turn him back around, although he fits very well in his frontier.
A few install ?'s: I removed that orange latch strap... I hope that's okay! It was preventing me from being able to tighten the latch belt enough because it was all bunchy. Very annoying! The seat is in their pretty solidly with only a tiny bit of wiggle room, although I was able to get it rock solid with the seatbelt, so I might go back to that. I have the recline to the most upright position since it lets me put the driver's seat all the way back. Does it look too upright? There's a little gap at the bottom of the seat near the bight; I'm assuming that's okay. Maybe if DH tightened it I could even get that to lessen.
One slightly annoying thing is I can't snap the cover back up since its so tight against the back of the seat. I guess that's not that big of a deal. The harness adjuster is still a bit tough to reach, but I have tiny hands so its not too bad. Could I recline my vehicle seat a couple notches to allow better access to the adjuster, or would that mess up the rebound bar? I have the seat pretty upright here (it is reclined a bit more on the other side where DS's Frontier is installed since it fit better with the natural recline of that seat FFing).

Thanks!
Karen

ETA: My camera is being annyoing... will post pics in a minute!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wanted to get some pics for you guys to check my install, so I had my DS try it out. He just turned 3 and is 40" tall and 36 lbs, I think his torso is about 14.5". He's just even with the 3rd slots and still has a ton of leg room! :eek: Its such a bummer I can't turn him back around, although he fits very well in his frontier.

Oh man, I know! Or 45 pounds. Piper fit by height rear facing after she turned seven at 46" and 42 pounds.

3846235549_9af7c66e02.jpg

She was *just* at the rear facing height limit there. At the 1" mark.

A few install ?'s: I removed that orange latch strap... I hope that's okay! It was preventing me from being able to tighten the latch belt enough because it was all bunchy. Very annoying!

That's fine. It's job is to keep the LATCH strap from leaving, that's all.

The seat is in their pretty solidly with only a tiny bit of wiggle room, although I was able to get it rock solid with the seatbelt, so I might go back to that.

LATCH isn't safer, but as long as you have less than 1" of movement at the beltpath you're goodl.

I have the recline to the most upright position since it lets me put the driver's seat all the
way back. Does it look too upright? There's a little gap at the bottom of the seat near the bight; I'm assuming that's okay. Maybe if DH tightened it I could even get that to lessen.

I can't get that gap to go away. I have a pool noodle under there, but if it was solid without the noodle I wouldn't worry about it.

One slightly annoying thing is I can't snap the cover back up since its so tight against the back of the seat. I guess that's not that big of a deal.

You don't need to undo the cover. There are slits above each lockoff.

The harness adjuster is still a bit tough to reach, but I have tiny hands so its not too bad. Could I recline my vehicle seat a couple notches to allow better access to the adjuster, or would that mess up the rebound bar? I have the seat pretty upright here (it is reclined a bit more on the other side where DS's Frontier is installed since it fit better with the natural recline of that seat FFing).

Check your car's manual to see if it's ok. I don't think the TFP says anything about it, but double check there as well.

Wendy

ToothDoc

Okay, here are the pics. I'll post some pics of my DD when she wakes up so you can see how they compare to her in her blvd.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just make sure it's not more than 35º, as that's the maximum the TFP is allowed to go upright.

You have less gap under yours than I do.

Wendy

ToothDoc

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I'll have to check the manual about the recline. I don't remember there being anything in there that prohibited it when I read it last year, but its been a while.
Thanks for the tip on the slits for the lockoffs... I totally missed that, lol!

Karen

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's hard to tell the angle from the outside of the seat, since the inside is so differently shaped and impossible to see. But it looks like it might be right at 35 or slightly higher.

Not sure if it's in the manual. I know for sure it's been confirmed by the engineers.

Wendy

ToothDoc

When I meant the manual, I meant the car manual, not the TF manual, regarding reclining the seatback. I'll see about reclining the TF a bit more to make sure its not too upright. Thanks for all the help!

babygirlsmom1005

The TFP would be the ultimate seat if it would only RF longer - sigh.....Madeline loved it when she was under 35 lbs and rode in her brother's TFP (at 3 1/2 years old, she was only on the 2nd slot)

Kyras_Mama

I wish it did too! There would never be a question about us buying a different kind of seat if the TF's went to 40 or 45 lbs...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's hard to tell the angle from the outside of the seat, since the inside is so differently shaped and impossible to see. But it looks like it might be right at 35 or slightly higher.

Not sure if it's in the manual. I know for sure it's been confirmed by the engineers.

Wendy

This was the case with the TF, but I don't believe there's ever been word about the TFP? I've seen it said that it would be difficult to get too upright an install because of the ARB anyways, but I've never seen one in person to know if that's the case for sure or not.

eta: The angle in the picture looks fine to me. As long as his head doesn't drop chin-to-chest straight down when he falls asleep, then I wouldn't worry about reclining it more than that. :thumbsup:

Spam

I wish it to 40lbs as well, I :love: mine. He is a cutie :D

OT, Wendy, Laine is getting big and is so adorable. :love: her smile.

ToothDoc

Thanks again for all the replies! I wondered about the angle thing with the rebound bar... I don't think I could get it anymore upright than it is now because of it, and the ball is still in the green (obviously since it can't go any lower, lol). I may try to get it slightly more reclined for her comfort when sleeping, but DH might pitch a fit if he has to lose some leg room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC