Anybody see SuperNanny last night?

mommy2jana

I normally don't watch this show, but last night I caught a glimpse of the preview and saw the children beating each other up in the car - no seat belt one one as he was in the floor getting beat by his brother who was twice his age - so I had to watch it.

My heart sank and I became disgusted when watching the show and they got to the part where they were in the car. The 4 boys were ages 10, 8, 6, and 5. The mom was driving a Dodge Durango. She had the 10 yr old in the center lap belt, and the 5 yr old driver side outboard with the lap/shoulder belt. I couldn't tell which of the other two boys were in what position, but I know one was back in the 3rd row. None of the children were in boosters or carseats of any kind! The 5 yr old with the lap/shoulder belt was the one who got out of his seatbelt while the mom was driving down the road! :eek: The 5 yr old also did not fit in the lap/shoulder belt at all and at one point while the mom was struggling to get him buckled in the car, she was about to put the shoulder belt behind him!!! After he became unbuckled and was being beat on the floor by his 10 yr old brother, they said the mom had to stop the vehicle to buckle him up - I'm assuming he doesn't know how to buckle himself? She would probably have much more peaceful car trips if she harnessed at least her 5 & 6 yr olds and had the 10 & 8 yr olds in boosters!

Her boys were not large for their age, I think they were average to petite for their age - so I definitely know they should have been in proper restraints! Just another reason that the "bare minimum" laws need to be changed! I think (they didn't specifically say) they were in Florida which has awful booster laws! It looked like Florida from the houses, landscape, temp, ect. - but I can't be completely sure.

ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Later in episode it did show at least the 5 yo in a low back turbo booster as they were ridding in the car, I didn't have time to see if the others were in anything. During a comercial break Jo talks about how to get your kids to be compliant with seatbelts by having them buckle up their stuffed animals, and at that point there was a high back combination seat in the vehicle with the harness removed. I am not sure that was their vehicle though, or just one she used during another time. I really wish they would do a better job. The one boy definetly had the seatbelt behind his back before the fight started with his brother... *YIKES**

mommy2jana

I stopped watching the show a little after the car scene, so I didn't see the one where the boy was in the low back turbo booster. That's good! I also wondered if it was coincidence that Jo's Tip for the show was on getting your children to buckle up. I don't think that was the family's vehicle in that shot, they drove a Durango and it looked like Jo was standing by a van because you could tell it had a slide open door.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Actually by the end the 2 youngest were in boosters. I would have had her go out and put them in Regents, the way they acted in the car.

Susan

soygurl

I only saw a few bits a pieces of the show (it really makes me crazy in general :rolleyes:) but I saw the car trip at the end and saw the yongest in a booster... but I couldn't see a seatbelt anywhere on him! Seriously... I KNOW he didn't have a shoulder belt on, and in one shot he was wiggling up and out of the seat and I'm 90% sure there wasn't any belt at all! ARG!@#@$%#@$!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC