Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Time to turn her?

My oldest is 29 months, 28lbs, about 35" tall. She's currently RF in a MyRide.

She has LOTS of room above her head in that seat still and I would like to keep her RF as long as possible.

She's starting to complain about being uncomfortable and wanting to get out of the seat anytime we drive longer than about 15-20 minutes. She says her back hurts and I'm wondering if it's because of her leg positions. The police officer that checked our installs said to leave her RF as long as possible - until she starts complaining that she's uncomfortable.

Now usually we don't go anywhere longer than 20 or 30 minutes so I wouldn't think much of this, but we're about to take a huge road trip and we don't want her to be uncomfortable (for all of our sakes!)! Do you think we should turn her for the trip at least?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Time to turn her?

Well in my opinion if it's okay for one trip it's okay all the time. Having said that, I would check under the cover for twisted straps, bunched up padding ect.. and I'd give it a while. Some kids just complain because they are sitting to long. Maybe try and stop and let her walk around every so often to diffuse the situation before she starts complaining....
    Heather mom to
    Connor|2-7-06|Seatbelt
    Finn|6-16-17|Britax Boulevard click tight
    Rowan|June 2019|Snugride/MaxiCosi Magellan

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

My DD complained worse when FF'ing than she did when RF'ing. Maybe try teaching her some different ways to position her legs to see if that helps, plus what PP said I wouldn't want to turn her at such a young age.

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW

Try adjusting the install angle of the seat? Make her a bit more upright or a bit more reclined and ask her what she thinks?
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Thanks, I'll work on the distraction method! I really don't want to turn her yet - that's why we got this seat, for it's high limits for RF!

My kids were always more uncomfortable FFing because their legs dangle and fall asleep. And when they fall asleep their heads hang. I think she would be more comfortable on a long trip RFing because she'll be able to sleep.

I agree... my kids all complained more ff than rf...

I think it sounds like she's just bored and needs distracting... books, small and/or soft toys, sippy cup, snacks, stickers, drawing a picture on each hand with washable marker... all good things to make the trip more fun.

And she may also just be at the age where she wants to see you... so if that's the case, a soft mirror would be preferable to turning her.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

thanks, Kat. Great ideas!