My preschooler is RFing again!

rodentranger

Thank you Dorel for making the Complete Air, the only seat that installs in our 96 Altima with a 40 lbs rear facing limit and a tall enough shell to accommodate my 35 lb kid! He has two more inches of growth.
I am so excited!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ADS

Cryssy Jane

woohoo!!! That was so much fun today. Although i still have your name tag in my purse... oops. Next time lets not play carseats with 6 kiddos in the mix ;)

rodentranger

0125001305a1.jpg

MomtoRyan

I have a subaru outback 06 and we have a prob with the rf fit of most car seats. We tried the XTSL with no luck and we currently have a TF that is working but I would love another option. Is your altima shallow ffrom front to back?

rodentranger

Yes, it is quite shallow.The front seatbacks are touching the tops of the carseats, and are quite forward and upright. My 6' DH is not very comfortable in this car anymore. The RN was too tall and too reclined for the Altima, but the Marathon, TrueFit and Complete Air fit alright. Though the TF can't be installed in that car because the buckle stalks are too long.

Maedze

He's got years more than 2" of growth. The top of the seat is counted as the head rest fully extended ;)

rodentranger

For rear-facing, the limit is 40". He is 38" now. He's grown about 3-4 inches since August. I'm juts hoping to keep him rf until I'm not driving the Altima as my primary or he is 40". At that point, I will probably move him back into the FN and GN and put YDS in the CA. (And sell my MAs.)

Maedze

Gotcha. Didn't realize you were honoring the rear facing limit, which is arbitrary and has no effect on over-rotation.

rodentranger

Gotcha. Didn't realize you were honoring the rear facing limit, which is arbitrary and has no effect on over-rotation.

I am because when I called Dorel on Monday when I bought it, I was told I must follow that height limit. I would much rather use the 1" of shell rule, as that would give him 3" of torso growth and we'd probably actually get to 40 lbs. :D
But you know, I'm supposed to follow my vehicle and car seat manufacturer manuals. ;)

Maedze

I'm not at all dissuading you from following the manual guidelines. Just mentioning, that, for example, if you called Graco about a 30" baby using a 29" SR22, they'd tell you the exact same thing, but we've been telling people to ignore that limit for years, because it's meaningless :p

rodentranger

When I called, I said, "My son is 38". I understand that this seat has a 40" rf limit. He has 3" if torso growth before he hits the traditional limit of 1" of shell above his head. Is the 40" limit because the NHTSA or whoever tells you you have to put a height limit? Is it a guideline or a hard rule?"
"The 40" limit is not a guideline, it is a rule. Our testing shows that that is the upper limit for optimal safety. You may not use your discretion to disregard it. When he is 40", you must turn him forward facing."
I was bummed.

MomtoRyan

I love my car but the shallow seating is really annoying with car seats. They came out the '10 version of the outback and it is roomier but I don't want to have more car payments, agh!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC