SafetyBeltSafe USA Tech Class

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Since there was a thread about the cost of this class earlier today, I asked Cheryl Kim, one of the instructors who teaches the tech class, why the class is so expensive ($950 + $75 Safe Kids cert fee). Fortunately for us, Cheryl's work at SBS USA is never done, so she checks her email often and she got back to me quickly (thanks, Cheryl!).

The fee covers primarily staff time, including instructors and clerical support. In the late 90s, several agencies priced it out at $1000 per student, so that's where they've kept the fee ever since. As was mentioned in the earlier thread, instructors are usually paid through their jobs and are with law enforcement or other agencies or hospitals (or like me, someone with an interest in CPS). SBS USA uses a combination of employees and non-employees who are paid with money raised through memberships, grants or sales of items like brochures, CDs, license plate covers, etc. Sometimes there are scholarships, but right now, there is no corporate sponsorship for scholarships available meaning you have to pay for your own class. Most participants' employers pay for their class.

Hope this helps to clear up confusion. I can assure you that after working on the board of my non-profit Safe Kids, SafetyBeltSafe, as a non-profit, cannot turn a profit or they would be shut down by the IRS.

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC