Where does each kid go??

chandakitty

So, I'm having baby number two this spring, and obsessed with car seats. We've decided to turn our older one back to RF, and the new baby will go in a comfortsport convertable. Once the older one outgrows the rf then the younger one will go in the bigger convertable (which we haven't decided on yet...). Where do your kids go? Should the older one be behind me since I won't be checking on him as often?? We didn't have a car until our son was 2 so I have no clue about newborns in carseats. Thanks for answering this kinda dumb question!!:rolleyes:

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It really doesn't matter. :)

Do you have large or small babies? The ComfortSport might fit big newborns, but is likely to (edit: NOT) fit average to small newborns: when rear-facing, straps must be below baby's shoulders. (One would think that with the super-short harness at least the bottom straps would be low as well, but, alas, they aren't so much.)

Last edited:

natysr

My personal opinion.

Provided your baby does not have a medical condition that would put him in danger of aspirating etc., and your carseat is installed correctly to give him the proper 45 degree angle (which is necessary to keep his head from flopping and risk closing off your airways) then you are all safer/better off with driver keeping your eyes on the road and off of the baby. That means no mirrors, no trying to look back over your shoulder to see baby etc.

You will want to make sure that the convertible will fit your baby well. I'm not sure what the harness height is of the lowest setting of the comfort sport. It will need to be below the baby's shoulders for a proper fit. I'm sure someone else can chime in and let you know if the comfort sport typically fits newborns well.

So, really it doesn't matter much who goes where.

Do you park on the street frequently? That could be a determining factor as to who you load in the car nearest traffic.

mkmama

I usually put my newborn outboard behind the drivers seat and my older one in the middle. My reasoning is simplicity...that way bigger child can crawl in himself and I don't have to try to lift a baby (+ bucket if you use an infant bucket) over a larger child in a larger convertible. I put them behind the driver instead of passenger because I hate having to walk all the way around the car to get kids in/out.

Also, if bigger child is in the middle its easier for me to get infant in and buckled and then turn around from front seat to buckle the bigger child if its raining/snowing/cold, etc.

chandakitty

It really doesn't matter. :)

Do you have large or small babies? The ComfortSport might fit big newborns, but is likely to fit average to small newborns: when rear-facing, straps must be below baby's shoulders. (One would think that with the super-short harness at least the bottom straps would be low as well, but, alas, they aren't so much.)

My son was little but that was due to medical issues, I've already gained more at 28 weeks than I did in my entire last pregnancy!!
Did you mean to say that the Comfortsport is NOT likely to fit average to small newborns?? Sigh.... I really didn't want to have to buy 4 new seats!! Thanks so much for the info!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry (and I'll edit) -- the ComfortSport won't fit small babies and *may* not fit average ones, depending on shape.

You need seats in four cars? How soon would baby be riding in the non-primary cars? If baby's close to fitting, can you get by with just one seat for a few weeks?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old and heavy is your child? What car do you drive? What's your budget for new seats (be it four or two)?

The Comfortsport has 8.5" bottom slots. So it'll fit long torsoed babies at birth. Average or below average, not well.

The Cosco Scenera fits newborns well (7.5" bottom slots) and costs $45. It also has a taller shell, higher rear facing weight limit, and higher top slots than the Comfortsport.

Let us know the rest of the info and we'll see what we can help you with.

Wendy

chandakitty

How old and heavy is your child? What car do you drive? What's your budget for new seats (be it four or two)?

The Comfortsport has 8.5" bottom slots. So it'll fit long torsoed babies at birth. Average or below average, not well.

The Cosco Scenera fits newborns well (7.5" bottom slots) and costs $45. It also has a taller shell, higher rear facing weight limit, and higher top slots than the Comfortsport.

Let us know the rest of the info and we'll see what we can help you with.

Wendy

Yes -- I definitely should have given more info -- so sorry!!

My son is currently ff in 2 comfort sports, but he is outgrowing the top harness and needs new seats, one for my car and one for my husband's car, preferably. Since we are buying new seats for him we decided to turn him back around since he is small (3 years, 30# and 37") and are considering the true fit or the complete air. I was hoping to use his comfort sports with the new one -- not here yet -- so I would only have to buy 2 new seats. He was light but long when he was born (which isn't too helpful, I know!). Thanks for all of the quick replies so far!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok, so if you were looking at two Complete Airs, that gives us about $500 to work with.

If your older son hasn't outgrown the Comfortsport forward facing (shoulders over the top slot) then he's got a pretty short torso. A Graco My Ride may give a ton of time rear facing for him, and it's $160.

Does he gain weight quickly? Looking out his curve, how long would it take him to get to 35 pounds? The regular True Fit around $150 might work very very well for him. In which case that gives you $100 for each convertible for a newborn. And that leaves the Scenera, basically. The other favorite under $100, the Safety 1st Avenue, doesn't fit newborns well.

Are your kids in both cars evenly? I'm wondering if two True Fits for the main car (the True Fit does fit newborns) and two Sceneras for the secondary car, would work for you guys. They'd work for both kids, provided your 3.5 year old has more than 1" of hard shell above his head.

Another option is to buy two Complete Airs and see if there's a friend or someone trusted who you could borrow an infant seat from for a few months if the Comfortsport doesn't fit your baby at birth.

Wendy

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
What about two TF's or two MR's and something like the OnBoard + an extra base?

Wouldn't one of the bigger buckets benefit the cause with the cost and even if later pratically never removed except to change vehicles? Install wouldn't be an issue as the bases could stay. I don't have experience w/ the big buckets, so maybe s/o could chime in? I'm just thinking that it might could last long enough for your ds to be ready for a different seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC