Facebook fan page

I have had a Facebook fan page for child car safety for some time now but just realized I had not shared it on here. I created it as a way to share important information with friends and family who would never frequent a site like car-seat.org. With the fan page important updates show in their daily feed so it's been a great way to share information and videos etc.

I figured that some people on here may want to join for the same reason and share with their friends and family. I would like to ask that if you have any input that you don't post it on the wall or comment on the page/photos as I don't want anything negative to drive people away from the page. I am perfectly open to feedback but maybe you can send me a PM on here...thanks :thumbsup:

I would actually like some help from you guys...I have an album of recommended car seats and I have not covered them all- just a few. I don't know much abut every car seat on the market so if you think of a good seat that I haven't included a picture/description of just send me a PM or reply to this thread. Feel free to post helpful info for people on the wall such as links/pictures and videos- I would love for you all to post pictures of older rear facing kids! in fact- that would be awesome so that I don't look like the only "weirdo" :love:

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=81507&id=79563916686&saved#/pages/Child-Car-Safety/79563916686

Note to moderators- this is in no way and advertisment. I do not make money off of this page in any way and I assume it is ok to post this link...thanks!

ADS
I would like to request booster seat recommendations from you all. The only seat I know well is the Turbo and I currently don't have any on my fan page. Which ones should I mention and for what reasons? Thanks :eek:

Kat_Momof3

montereys for big kids, vivos, turbos, and parkway sg's for everyone and for smaller/younger booster riders... the oobr for those who have no budget constraint

I just want to say thanks to those who have joined my fan page so far- it really is awesome for my friends and family with kids plus all the other fans to see these older kids rear facing! My mom is a fan of the page and I am thrilled that she'll now be able to see your older kids rear facing to keep turning Olivia on the back burner :thumbsup:

When I have directed friends here they view it as a page full of car seat nuts and that rear facing 3 year olds is just "weird" and all the rest of it... Given they don't know that these pictures come from you guys will really help to open some eyes and make people think twice! so thanks again! :eek:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We're really digging out Parkway SG so far. AJ looks great in it and he loves his cupholders! lol The Vivo worked really well for him too.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've almost posted here several times since yesterday afternoon, and I haven't, because I don't want to sound too harsh.

I would like to request booster seat recommendations from you all. The only seat I know well is the Turbo and I currently don't have any on my fan page. Which ones should I mention and for what reasons?

It gets very sticky when we start recommending seats without knowing someone's particular situation. Yes, there are some boosters that are likely to work for "everyone," but each situation is different.

I'm also concerned about you labeling some seats as "the best out there." I love the Coccoro. I really do. But it's rarely the "best" choice for someone. You also have the Roundabout listed as a "best" choice. Again, if someone wants a Roundabout, fine, but "best" is a very subjective statement. Is it "best" in terms of value? Absolutely not. No way, no how, not even close. Is it "best" in terms of safety? The short answer is "we don't know." The long answer (based on some recent tests) is, "Maybe not, but we still don't know." Is it the "best" in terms of "cuteness" and brand recognition? Maybe, but that has nothing to do with safety.

I'm also very concerned about some of the advice you've given on the page.

This is in regard to a Boulevard:

and you'll feel great about your choice to keep your children in those seats until they reach the maximum weight limit of 65lbs and then you can safely move them to a boster seat.

First, almost no child makes it anywhere near 65 lbs in a Boulevard. Telling people to use it to 65 pounds is irresponsible. Second, most kids outgrow the seat (by height) before they're ready for a booster. So again, not the best advice.

Well I'm glad he has realized that you make him use it because you love him and you are right in doing do! My almost 8 year old cousin is still harnessed in a Britax Regent because she is a tiny 44lbs! Sure she's the only one of her friends but she has also realized that some of her friends who aren't even in boosters should also be harnessed and she now understands.

Barring developmental/medical/behavioral issues, there is no reason why an 8-year-old needs to be harnessed. There is no proof that it's safer than a booster, and there is some thought that it might actually be more dangerous.

If you are thinking about moving your child to a booster or already have and they aren't at least 6 years old please review the 5 step test to make sure they are safe.

This one confuses me a lot. A 5-year-old who sits properly in a booster seat is fine in a booster seat. Ditto a 4-year-old, although it's rarer to find 4-year-olds who sit properly--but it happens. I'm not sure why 6 is a magic number. Also, while aspects of the 5-step-test do apply to boosters (belt position and comfort so the kid doesn't squirm, etc.) it's really meant to be a test for using a seatbelt.

I know you mean well and are trying to keep kids safe. However, with the page as it is now I can't send anyone I know to it.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but you did ask for feedback.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC