Crazy car seat shuffle yesterday...

Shaunam

Yesterday was DS's big b-day party at chuck e cheese. I was bringing DD and the neighbor girl (her mom had a baby shower to go to), ex was supposed to be bringing DS, and his mom was supposed to be bringing one of ex's friends and his 2 little girls.

So mil comes over to get a nice pair of jeans for DS and I told her that she probably needs seats for the 2 girls. I couldn't remember their ages exactly but the younger one I know is not 8 yet. She called ex and asked him and he just said "they don't use seats anymore". I tried to get her to ask their ages but she hung up. Based on what I remember I thought they were 9 and 7. I tried to work it so there'd be a seat for each of them but then they decided that DS would ride with me and ex would squeeze in his mom's car. So that limits options.

After much sweating and swearing and switching seats, I fit a regent and a radian in my car. And DD's my ride up front (no airbags and I'd been considering it recently anyway because she's choking constantly now). A turbo in mil's car and no seat for the older one (I felt bad but at least I got mil legal). Turns out the older one is 10 next month and a decent size. I didn't get to see how the belt fit her, but it wasn't the worst situation I'm sure. The younger one was only 6! And tiny. Thank goodness I made them use it. Ex tried to take it out of the car and put it in the trunk but I saw how tiny she was and made him ask her how old she was and then made him put it back in. I don't like stepping on other people's toes, but this was mil's car and she knows she can get in trouble if kids aren't properly restrained but she has NO backbone and even though she would have let them put her in just a seat belt, she didn't WANT them to. She told me that earlier in the day.

Thank goodness for the new law. I was so glad to be able to say "she needs one BY LAW". To think, I used to drive these kids around before I was a parent and knew better....1 year old ff'ing in an OHS, 3 year old in a backless, nothing once she turned 4. :eek: I hope their dad realizes the 6 year old needs at least a backless since he saw me throw a little fit about the law. ;)

ADS

babyherder

Glad you got that all sorted out. And good for you for standing up for mil even if she wasn't able to do it herself. I'm impressed that you got everyone as safe as you did without any other parents pitching a fit over having to use seats.

As for Charlie in the front, I would have done that a long time ago if I were you! Makes me way to nervous not to be able to see kids, especially if they're doing something scary like choking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC