Need List of Basic Carseat safety

sholoulou

A friend of mine asked me what are the basics of carseat safety for a convertible seat. I want to make sure I give her the correct info and all the info she needs. PLEASE add to the list I made if I forgot anything. Thanks!

-Chest clip even with child's armpits
-No twisting of the harness/straps
-Fitted harness/straps. Should only be able to fit a one finger under straps.
-Carseat should not move more than 1 inch after installation. For a snug fit putting a knee in the seat to get a tight install helps.
-Keep baby rear facing as long as possible. (Check rearfacing weight limit of carseat)
-Keep the harness straps at or below the shoulders while rear-facing
-Keep the harness straps at or above the shoulders while front-facing

Can anyone think of anymore???

ADS

sholoulou

Oh, her son is only 3 and she already bought a booster for him :eek: So I am trying my best to give her more information than she asked for... so any info you can give me for not having him in a booster will help to.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
-Fitted harness/straps. Should only be able to fit a one finger under straps.

That's old advice. Whose fingers? Mine? Piper's? The fireman's? You don't want to be able to pinch anything horizontally at the shoulders. If you can it's too loose. If you can't it's fine.

pinchtest.jpg

-Carseat should not move more than 1 inch after installation. For a snug fit putting a knee in the seat to get a tight install helps.

No more than 1" at the beltpath. That's important. Otherwise you get people scared and stressed that their non tethered rear facing seat is moving too much at the head.

Also, we don't tell people to put their knee in the seat unless we find that that's really necessary in their car. We're taught not to, anyway. We want parents to feel like they can recreate an install on their own, and if we're standing on our hands and chanting, well, it scares parents into thinking they cannot do it themselves. I'd just say to make sure to add weight to the seat and pull snugly. Then if they're having troubles say add a knee.

-Keep baby rear facing as long as possible. (Check rearfacing weight limit of carseat)

And head has more than 1" of hard shell above it.

Check the car's manual for LATCH placement.

Forward facing seats should be tethered if one is available, and if not see if one can be retrofitted.

Harness until a mature booster age (5-6 years old).

Wendy

Evolily

A friend of mine asked me what are the basics of carseat safety for a convertible seat. I want to make sure I give her the correct info and all the info she needs. PLEASE add to the list I made if I forgot anything. Thanks!

-Chest clip even with child's armpits-good
-No twisting of the harness/straps-good
-Fitted harness/straps. Should only be able to fit a one finger under straps.You should not be able to pinch any slack at the childs collar bone
-Carseat should not move more than 1 inch after installation. For a snug fit putting a knee in the seat to get a tight install helps. It should move less than one inch when pulled side to side with your non dominant hand
-Keep baby rear facing as long as possible. (Check rearfacing weight limit of carseat)Children should rearface until they meet the height or weight limits for their convertible car seat.
-Keep the harness straps at or below the shoulders while rear-facing-Good
-Keep the harness straps at or above the shoulders while front-facing-Good

Read the manual before installing the seat. Do not use aftermarket products like mighty tights and bundle mes.

sholoulou

Well, I must say my carseats are in very snug!! I thought they could not move more than an inch. period. Now I know they can not move more than an inch at the belt path. Thank you for correcting me. No wonder my family just steps aside and lets me buckle in the seats when I am around LOL

mommy-medic

As far as keeping him from going into a booster yet- go to youtube and find the videos for Kyle David Miller and Belle's Gift. Those should help.

ame0312

Well, I must say my carseats are in very snug!! I thought they could not move more than an inch. period. Now I know they can not move more than an inch at the belt path. Thank you for correcting me. No wonder my family just steps aside and lets me buckle in the seats when I am around LOL

no, they CAN'T move more than an inch AT THE BELT PATH... you dont check for movement anywhere else...

soygurl

-Chest clip even with child's armpits-good
-No twisting of the harness/straps-good
-Fitted harness/straps. Should only be able to fit a one finger under straps.You should not be able to pinch any slack at the childs collar bone
-Carseat should not move more than 1 inch after installation. For a snug fit putting a knee in the seat to get a tight install helps. It should move less than one inch when pulled side to side with your non dominant hand
-Keep baby rear facing as long as possible. (Check rearfacing weight limit of carseat)Children should rearface until they meet the height or weight limits for their convertible car seat.
-Keep the harness straps at or below the shoulders while rear-facing-Good
-Keep the harness straps at or above the shoulders while front-facing-Good

Read the manual before installing the seat. Do not use aftermarket products like mighty tights and bundle mes.
I've heard "less that 1" side to side w/ non-dom hand" from people before, but I was taught to always check for more than 1" movement in any direction (not just side to side, but front to back as well) at the belt path, and I know I've seen at least a couple seat manuals that specify <1" front to back and side to side at the belt path. Is that not typical? (I tend to skim that part when I'm reading manuals... :eek:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC