Prius- 3 boosters across?

U

Unregistered

Which are the narrowest armless boosters? That are under $100? With or without back?
Please let me thank you all in advance! I have come here many times in the past 6 years with questions and always received good advice :) But, I admit, I can't wait to be done with carseats! I think we've gone through at least 10!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What year is the Prius?
What are the children's ages, weights, heights?
Your budget & current seats?

I have fit 3 seats across in my mom's 2005, but not all boosters -- I could try the boosters I have (Starriser Comfy, Prospect/Cubb & Compass B510) ... the Prospect/Cubb is very wide!

Fisher Price makes the new version of the Starriser Comfy: adjusts by width to only 12" at it's narrowest setting, but many big kids can't fit comfortably in it that narrow (my SD could at 8 years old, but then we couldn't get the seatbelt properly positioned).

The Parkway is 13" at the back & 17" in the front of the seat area -- it's lack of armrests make buckling easier.

There's also the Ride Safer Travel Vest -- I would only use it in the center position since it lacks any side impact protection, but it crash tests more like a harness seat for frontal impacts (especially when top tethered).

Generally speaking, it's impossible to get the same seats 3 across :eek: Different seats puzzled together may work well!

J

jen31

The car is a 2007 Prius, the kids are 6.5 yr/ 50lbs/49", 4yrs/ 42lbs/ 40", 4yrs/38lbs/ 39"
The car is new, an additional car, so no existing seats. I hope to spend under $100 each, and be able to buckle them in without losing skin from my knuckles six times a day.
Thank you!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The car is a 2007 Prius, the kids are 6.5 yr/ 50lbs/49", 4yrs/ 42lbs/ 40", 4yrs/38lbs/ 39"
The car is new, an additional car, so no existing seats. I hope to spend under $100 each, and be able to buckle them in without losing skin from my knuckles six times a day.
Thank you!!

At those ages and weights you may want to look into the Radian. It's the narrowest convertible seat, 14" at the base and 17" at the shoulder. You install it once and then from there you will just have to harness all three kids. No skin loss necessary after the first time, and at 38 pounds your 4 year old doesn't mean the minimums for a booster anyway. Plus most 4 year olds are not mature enough to sit full time in a booster seat and hold still properly and in position for the entire ride.

Wendy

scatterbunny

Yes, buckling harnessed seats is SO much easier in tight three-across seating situations! I don't know that I'd put the 6yo in a Radian, my dd is 5.5 and almost the same size and I don't think I can justify a Radian purchase for her, it just would not last long enough.

But I'd definitely consider two Radians for the 4yos, and a Parkway or Safe Voyage booster for the 6yo.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto -- Radians for the 4 year olds, Parkway or Safe Voyage booster for 6 year old (in center position with harnesses outboard) ... it will be the safest & easiest!

If you cannot afford this option, I would feel OK using RSTVs outboard on occasion since the vehicle has side curtain airbags & top tether anchors, but this would be a last resort option.

babychild taxi

Hi,

I've just installed a Radian in the back (driver's side) of my Echo. I have a RF Touriva on the other side (both w/LATCH) and it was a real struggle to get the Parkway in the middle (harder than when I had another Touriva FF). The top/side width of the Radian took up more space. My concern is when I have to turn RF seat FF, I may not have enough room and access to the Parkway belt buckle.

As mentioned in my other post, I'm considering looking to into the Clek Magna booster here in Canada. It's backless and does not have armrests, but has belt guides at the side, and best of all it's LATCH equiped. I'm not sure of its width yet. Although a full booster is preferred, this seat may make 3 across a small car workable without being too squished!

I'm welcome to input....

K.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe booster is pretty narrow, even though it has armrests, I'd think it's a great choice. The Radian is super to put in the middle so boosters can be buckled outboard (might have to yay! take turns riding in the racecar seat in the center!!!!.. make it fun so they fight to sit in it, not whine about a 'baby' seat).

:)

musicmaj

I have a small car and have a radian forward facing in the center for my 5 year old, a fisher price booster for my 6 year old outboard, and a rearfacing scenera outboard, but I am sure that I could fit another Radian in it's space if my child was older. I think the radians could be a really good buy for your 4 year olds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC