Would you contact Graco about this?

my2boys0508

CPS Technician
I was cleaning our MR65 the other day and noticed that the forward facing LATCH connector is bent outward. My youngest is still rearfacing and my oldest is over the 48lb LATCH limit. I haven't had to use the forward LATCH straps yet and hadn't noticed this issue before now.

I keep flip flopping on if I need or want to contact Graco for a replacement LATCH strap. I *can* just use the seatbelt to install once my youngest does go forward facing.. but it would be nice to have the problem fixed so the option of using LATCH in the forward facing position is available as it should be...

Here are two pics to show how it's bent outward. Would you contact Graco over this?

ADS

Maedze

I had the same thing happen to the LATCH on my Nautilus. They promptly sent me an entire new SEATBACK. Overkill, but there you are.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
No I wouldn't. I would just pull it slightly to the side and put it back in the proper position. That part of the Latch hook is not load bearing, well not unless you are hooking it on upside down, which is why it is important to hook in right side up. That piece of the hook just helps you make sure you actually have the hook completely on the anchor. I see LATCH and Tether hooks get bent out of shape like that all the time.

my2boys0508

CPS Technician
I did try bending it back in myself and it's not happening. Not without major force anyway. It's not able to move over to the side enough to just slide it past the top of the hook and I can't get it to bend inward enough to pop back in. So, it's either a "don't use at all" or "contact Graco and have them replace it". I'm not looking to have the whole seat replaced, so I would opt out of that if they suggested it. I would just want a new FF Latch strap.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I did try bending it back in myself and it's not happening. Not without major force anyway. It's not able to move over to the side enough to just slide it past the top of the hook and I can't get it to bend inward enough to pop back in. So, it's either a "don't use at all" or "contact Graco and have them replace it". I'm not looking to have the whole seat replaced, so I would opt out of that if they suggested it. I would just want a new FF Latch strap.

OK, in that case I would call them.

I wonder if they are using different LATCH hardware on the MR than they do on their infant seats, because the infant seat hooks pop in and out like yours with annoying ease, hence the reason I have to fix them frequently.

Maedze

I tried (with a Gerber tool!) to 'fix' the LATCH strap on my Nautilus. It was not BUDGING. You can't just 'push it back'.

And although it's not load bearing, in an accident there is quite a bit of shifting. That piece of metal keeps the hook from sliding off if the tension shifts on the webbing.

my2boys0508

CPS Technician
I tried (with a Gerber tool!) to 'fix' the LATCH strap on my Nautilus. It was not BUDGING. You can't just 'push it back'.

And although it's not load bearing, in an accident there is quite a bit of shifting. That piece of metal keeps the hook from sliding off if the tension shifts on the webbing.

Exactly how I feel. That's why it's either- I contact them or just don't use LATCH in the FF position at all. Not going to chance it. And I feel if I have to use more force than what my own hands are capable of, then it's not worth trying to fix on my own. I would be much more comfortable having a new strap than one I had to fix.

I just sent Graco an email. I'll wait and see what they suggest or offer.

Thank you ladies!! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC