school me on the Radian

nevaehsmommy

Ok. So I am really confused. Someone on another thread said there are currently 6 DIFFERENT radians. What are the differences. Mainly wondering about the ones that go to 45 pounds rearfacing. Also is it correct that you can use the seat even after shoulders are above the top harness? And if so why is this the only seat to allow.

ADS

ame0312

whoops... didnt mean to hit thanks... i always do that...

anyway... theres the older radians 65, 80, & xt...
i believe this will apply to any after sept 08...
all rf to 40 lbs
the 65 ff to 65 lbs
80 & xt to 80 lbs
xt has "headwings"

any manufactured before that only rear face to 35 lbs
some to 33 (not sure when that all changed... but if you got one now that shouldnt apply)

the newer ones are the SL versions
65 still goes to 40 rf'ing & 65 ff'ing
80 & xt go to 45 rf'ing & 80 ff'ing
the latch thing still i think it up in the air, but supposedly if your vehicle was manufacted after sept 05 then you can use latch the whole way up to 80 lbs... i dont think vehicle manufacturers have confirmed this though...

as for shoulders being over the top slot... i *think* they say you can as long as kiddo isnt over x amount of inches tall... (cant remember)... i personally wouldnt do it... i dont understand why it would be an exception to the rule... shoulders over the top slots can cause spinal compression in a crash... atleast thats my understanding...

hope that helps!

armywife12

The pp covered the differences in Radians pretty well but I wanted to cover your other question. Sunshine Kids has said that you can continue to use the Radian FF after your child is over the top harness slots as long as your child is still under 53 inches. I have no idea why this is all of a sudden safe when using this seat and, since I've heard it can be uncomfortable for most children, I probably would never do it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My recollection (someone who knows more can correct me on this) is that SK has said it's less about simply going above the top slots, and more about the angle at which the straps go when the shoulders go above the slots. So if the straps are less than x degrees north of horizontal, which they say they would be if the child is under 53", it is therefore safe.

I don't think I'd use that except in an emergency or a situation where I felt I had no other choice, but it's good to know that it's an option if it's needed.

The PP explained the differences between the Radians well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC