Moved DS to a booster then found this thread! Freaken!

ADS

Maedze

What are you upset about? I'm confused. A 45 pound 6 year old who is developmentally ready is perfectly safe in a booster. I'm missing what the problem is.

NannyMom

If he can sit properly, he should be fine in a booster. Many 5 year olds are mature enough for a booster. If it fits him well, keep him in it.

Maggie

Are you concerned because of the crash test videos? That's the only thing I can think of.

If so, don't be. At his age and weight he's perfectly safe as long as he sits properly. The Monterey is a wonderful booster.

apsupermom

This line in that post about extsended harnessing:

Use of 4 or 5 point harnesses have been a standard safety measure for grown adults in the racing industry, for pilots, astronauts, etc. If a child still fits a harness seat according to the limits listed in the manual, then that child should not yet switch to a booster. A booster is only safer than a harness if the harness cannot be used correctly and then only if the booster will be used correctly.

So he isn't safe in a booster becasue he still fits in the radian by height and weight??

Is this an absolute truth?

emars002

If a child still fits a harness seat according to the limits listed in the manual, then that child should not yet switch to a booster. A booster is only safer than a harness if the harness cannot be used correctly and then only if the booster will be used correctly.

The OP might be referring to this quote in the thread she linked to - I guess that kind of implies if they still fit in a harness, regardless of meeting booster requirements or developmentally ready that they are still "safer" in a harness. But if your child fits correctly and can sit properly, then a booster is "safe".

Maedze

Not to speak for papooses, but she's talking to the lowest common denominator. For most kids, a combination seat or a harnessed seat is barely going to get them to four years old. Most people do not have Radians or Nautiluses, that fit many kids well into booster-readiness.

It's relevant if you talking about a 3 year old in an old Evenflo Chase, not a 6 year old in a Radian.

4boysmom

Yes I think that line refers to 40 pound max seats, that they need to stay in the seat until the full 40 pounds.

Splash

There are also many people, myself included, that believe a harness is LESS safe in most circumstances at a certain point. My four year old is certainly still in a harness... but by 6 he'll be in a booster regardless of whether he fits in a harness (unless there are extenuating circumstances). For your child, a harness wouldn't even be a consideration for me anymore unless it were a long trip with a high likelihood of him falling asleep.

amyd

There are also many people, myself included, that believe a harness is LESS safe in most circumstances at a certain point. My four year old is certainly still in a harness... but by 6 he'll be in a booster regardless of whether he fits in a harness (unless there are extenuating circumstances). For your child, a harness wouldn't even be a consideration for me anymore unless it were a long trip with a high likelihood of him falling asleep.

I am of the same mind as Splash on this one. My son will be boostered by 6 as well, provided he is big enough & mature enough to sit properly. In an ideal world, I'd like for him to go directly from rear-facing to a booster. We may not make that as he's a big boy, but that's my goal.

kathysr98

I am also planning to try to RF to booster. I looked at every thread I could find & studied the links. I decided to buy a RN XTSL so I have a good chance my dd will fit RF until 5.5 or 6. This gives me the best chance to meet my goal. This is for my vehicle only, unless prices for tall, high RF limit seats come down. DD will FF in a harness in other vehicles from 35lbs until booster age because of the expense of replacing some seats that she may only ride in 1 time per month. I think you have made an excellent choice.

anjomi1986

There have been no studies that prove a 5pt to be safer then a booster. If a child is atleast 4yrs old, 40lbs, sits correctly 100% of the time, then a booster is a safe option. This is a common myth, but the truth is there is just no research. In Sweden they RF to age 4 or so and then go straight to a high back booster. On average only 2 kids die each year in the 0-6yrs age group. I think that speaks volumes. I can dig up a study if you want.

My 4yo uses a HBB on occasion, her main seat is a Radian. ;)

kphil

I'm aware of this school of thought, do you have any info or links to research to show how you came to decide that? I remember worrying about which was safer a couple years ago, when my oldest was still in a Regent, but somehow came to the conclusion that I felt the harness was still my ideal over the booster. That child is in a booster now, but it's relevant for me again because I have a 7 year old harnessed in a Nautilus, and she is only just now moving to the top slots, so she will likely fit harnessed in that seat for a long time to come. From looking at the crash tests, the harness still seems like the better way to go to me, though I know the booster is "safe" at this age. I'm interested though to hear more.

mykidsmylife

In Sweden they go straight from rf'ing to a booster. They believe the harness puts more strain on the neck. A seatbelt allows the child to go foward more.

I also believe this. My children stay in 5-point harnesses until 6 yrs and 40lbs but I have no issues putting a mature 5 yr old in a booster.
Johnathon still fit in his Apex when he went to a booster full time at age 6.

This is a german seat. It is for kids 9m-4yr or 39.9lbs. But the video will show the difference between the strain on the neck.
If I had to FF a child under 4 then this is the seat I would use.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dhlo2wqKY"]YouTube- Kiddy Carseat best safety protection System[/ame]

Evolily

I tend to be in the camp believing that FFing harnesses may increase neck loads enough to negate any benefit over a properly used and fitting high back booster. It's also possible a booster is actually safer than a harness. We just need more data.

kphil

I tend to be in the camp believing that FFing harnesses may increase neck loads enough to negate any benefit over a properly used and fitting high back booster. It's also possible a booster is actually safer than a harness. We just need more data.
I wish we did have more data to tell us. Can they not tell from the sensors on the dummies when they test them in both a booster and a harness? It seems like a 4 year old in a ff harness would be at increased risk over a 7 year old in a ff harness, because the 4yo's head would still be larger in relation to their body, and their bones are less developed. Or are you saying that IF a 4 yo were able to correctly fit and sit in a booster (unlikely as it is), that in that case, you think the booster may actually be safer for that 4yo? What about side-impact collisions? It seems to me a harness would contain much better than the shoulder belt in a side-impact.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC