Almost 3 year old outgrew his Scenera

MFatt16

My son is 3 and has outgrown the top slots of the harness on his Sceneras. He rides in a Marathon most of the time but the Sceneras are installed as extra seats in all the grandparents cars. My question is what seats to buy next? Albee has Regents on sale for $159 or Target has Nautilus seats for $135. He is average torsoed and not too heavy, he weighs about 33lbs right now and I am unsure of his height. His shoulder height is just a smidge above the top slot of the Scenera if anyone knows what that is. So, Regent or Nautilus or is there a better seat I could buy? Thanks!:)

ADS

DahliaRW

You might consider a ride safer travel vest. Basically a wearable booster, that works more like a 5 point harness. It'll last him until 60lbs, so a long time. Then he can have one thing that will work in any extra car you need him in and is great for travel. It also takes up a lot less room to store in between rides.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Evenflo Maestros. 18" top slots and a 50 pound harness limit. They're combination seats, but the booster part won't last much longer than the harness. They're $80, which is awesome.

Another option would be the Nautilus. 18.5" top slots, 65 pound harness limit, 100 pounds as a booster (21" top belt guide for the high back portion, then it's a backless). It's about $150.

Or is he rear facing still? That'd be a different set of seats. But you mentioned the top slot, so I figured he's forward facing.

Wendy

armywife12

I agree that the Maestro would make a great seat if you are looking to not spend too much money. Top slots are comparable to the Nautilus but is half the price. It doesn't turn into a great booster though.

MFatt16

Yes, he is forward facing now. I had read a few reviews of the Maestro but wanted something that might last a bit longer like the Nautilus or Regent. I don't really like the idea of the vest that the previous poster mentioned because my son is in grandma's car a lot and there is too much room for error there I believe.

If I bought the Maestro for $80, when would he likely outgrow it? Could it last him until he needs a backless booster perhaps? I am trying to be budget-wise while still being as safe as possible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, the Scenera has 15" top slots and the Maestro 18", with the booster going about 18.5" (so it should fit him probably until he's seven or so, unless he hits the weight limit first). So he'd need a high back after that. You can get a high back for about $45 that will turn into a backless. So for $125 you can get seats to get him through it all. Or get the Nautilus and that'll be that (the harness and high back are good until December of the sixth year, so if you got a 2010 model they'd be good until December 31, 2016, and the backless is good for nine, so until December 2019).

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

the Maestro should last just as long as the Nautilus... most kids outgrow either seat around the 50lb mark (Jeffrey is heavier, so he was like 60lbs)

anyway... that's what I'd do... I'd say it's the combo-seat answer to what to follow the scenera with that we previously were left scratching our heads on... because there was no combo that didn't require vehicle head support for the under 100 dollar range.

MFatt16

Thank you for all of your input! I decided to buy one Nautilus and then one Maestro since we have 2 grandma's that drive him pretty regularly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC