Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member emars002's Avatar

Another Booster question! Booster Training

Boosters are so not my area - can you tell today? Well it seems from the poll that is makes sense DD get a booster
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=113163
    Any tips for booster training? Do I lock the belt? Not lock it? if I lock it, when do I stop doing that? Thank you!
    Erin, mom to 2 great girls:
    ---------------10 forester--10 Odyssey
    M: 8y1m 41 lbs-----TB---------cybex
    S: 5y1m 39 lbs----80SL-------FN85

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Another Booster question! Booster Training

Sure you *can* (as long as it's not forbidden in the vehicle manual) but it's not necessary. It can be a helpful tool for those early days. DS1 (5.5) actually prefers to have the belt locked when he's boosterd. He feels more secure.

Start with short trips, with no other distractions (other kids, radio, etc.). Remind her of the rules. If she messes with the belt or moves out of position stop immediately to correct her. The average 6 year old should pick it up really quickly

CPS Technician

I find w/ older kids, at least mine, little 'training' is needed. They're old enough you can say 'this is how you need to act' and they get it for the most part. Doesn't mean they'll always be perfect (AJ had a tempter tantrum in his just yesterday and wouldn't sit back, lol) but it's not as hard as starting at 4.5yo or so. Evan has been in a booster twice and doesn't like it b/c I think he knows he has a hard time sitting still and he knows he has to in a booster. Our seatbelts don't lock, so that's not really an option anyways.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

My kids is 4.5 and I really didn't have to do anything. I sat her in it, showed her her how to sit properly, routed the belt around her, and buckled. I explained how she needed to sit and how she coudn't lean forward or to the side. Basically, I told her to sit back with her head between the wings for the entire trip. Then we took a drive to the supermarket, which is like 1/2 a mile away. She did great. And, uh, since I had just been in a wreck and didn't have a replacement harnessed seat for her, the booster was it. She rode around in it for a few weeks with ZERO problems. I know she's on the younger side, but she's got great maturity and didn't need ANY reminding to sit properly for the few weeks until I got her another harnessed seat.

My theory is that booster-training is like potty-training. If it just seems harder than it should be, you're probably right. It's best to step back and try again later on. When the kid is ready, it goes quickly and easily.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Niea View Post
    My kids is 4.5 and I really didn't have to do anything. I sat her in it, showed her her how to sit properly, routed the belt around her, and buckled. I explained how she needed to sit and how she coudn't lean forward or to the side. Basically, I told her to sit back with her head between the wings for the entire trip. Then we took a drive to the supermarket, which is like 1/2 a mile away. She did great. And, uh, since I had just been in a wreck and didn't have a replacement harnessed seat for her, the booster was it. She rode around in it for a few weeks with ZERO problems. I know she's on the younger side, but she's got great maturity and didn't need ANY reminding to sit properly for the few weeks until I got her another harnessed seat.

My theory is that booster-training is like potty-training. If it just seems harder than it should be, you're probably right. It's best to step back and try again later on. When the kid is ready, it goes quickly and easily.
    ITA. My ds1 was so motivated to NOT be in a harness he sat perfectly in a booster a few months after his 4th birthday. Some kids will do it, some won't.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

once they are 6, booster training really is just telling them the rules and maybe telling them why they have to sit straight the whole ride and keep their seatbelt in position...

most kids by that age just aren't going to try to lean forward to get toys and stuff... they're used to the carseat and the habit of sitting right the whole ride.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

The one thing I've noticed with long-term harnessed kids is that when they get in a booster, they're so used to not having to worry about what the car is doing that they're more likely to tip with curves, because they're not actively keeping themselves upright (and hence keeping the booster sat upright, too). This has happened with a couple of friends, and all it took was pointing it out to the child (7-9 year olds, in these cases).
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Quote Originally Posted by Qarin View Post
    The one thing I've noticed with long-term harnessed kids is that when they get in a booster, they're so used to not having to worry about what the car is doing that they're more likely to tip with curves, because they're not actively keeping themselves upright (and hence keeping the booster sat upright, too). This has happened with a couple of friends, and all it took was pointing it out to the child (7-9 year olds, in these cases).
    Great point - Thank you! Originally I really wanted a latchable booster but I do not think any of those fit a small kiddo well - I think i will try her in the van first where her booster will be on cloth seats and between an armrest and DDs boulevard - DH wanted to start her in the truck but he has leather seats and nothing directly next to her on one side so I think she might get tipped a little easier than in the mini van

CPS Advocate

I mentioned the Clek Oobr in my first post. It's latchable, and it fits small riders well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    I mentioned the Clek Oobr in my first post. It's latchable, and it fits small riders well.
    Yes I looked that one up - i am working on DH and the price right now - He has been very good spending that on car seats but I am having a harder time convincing him on that for a booster - I'm working on it though I'm sure if I can sell her other seat to make up some of the difference, i should be able to talk him into it - We may just start with a turbo until I can get the Oobr.