DD and a booster

Buy DD a booster or another harnessed seat?

• Booster

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Harnessed

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

emars002

DD will be 7 on June 15 (I cannot believe she is that old already!) She does not like her safeguard anymore, she says it is too much of a baby seat - SHe has not complained baout the nauti or the frontier - I have the safeguard listed in swap and was going to replace it with another nauti once I sold it but I was just thinking about how old the darn kid actually is. Do you think it makes more since to buy another harnessed seat or a booster? I have put no thought into boosters at all since this is the first kiddo reaching the point where I guess I need to consider it. I would buy another combo with the reasoning that DD2 will use it but i just bought her a radian XTSL today and buy the time she outgrows her convertibles, there will probably be other new stuff I want to try out. And if booster - what are some good receommendations for a small framed kid? All our vehicles have shoulder belts and whatever car the booster goes in, she would ride in a few times a week - DH takes her to school (4 miles up the rode, 45mph speed limit) or if it were in my car, I pick her up M, W, and Th but then we drive quite a ways to pick her sister up so my car may not be the best option for beginning booster training. So, buy her a booster or harness seat?

ADS

Maedze

I would not buy a harnessed seat for a child that age outside of special needs or circumstances (impulse control secondary to a diagnosis or lap-belt only vehicle, for example)

emars002

I would not buy a harnessed seat for a child that age outside of special needs or circumstances (impulse control secondary to a diagnosis or lap-belt only vehicle, for example)

Thank you! I figured it was getting to be about time. Any recommendations?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
If she's up to 40#, we like the Parkway for AJ. He just started using it and he'll be 7 in May, but he's 55#, lol. He really likes the Slideguard feature, I think it makes him feel safer. He freaked out last night b/c DH forgot to do it up, it was enough motivation to get him to do it though! The Vivo fits smaller kids nice, the Monterey is very hit and miss I feel. We were going to get an Oobr till we won the PW. I still really want it, but it'll have to wait till at least next year and then I'm sure I'll want something different!

Maedze

Because she's so petite, I would choose either the Graco Turbobooster or the Recaro Vivo. Either of those should provide an excellent belt fit :thumbsup:

ETA: The Clek Oobr also has a low bottom minimum and seems to fit littles very well.

emars002

If she's up to 40#, we like the Parkway for AJ. He just started using it and he'll be 7 in May, but he's 55#, lol. He really likes the Slideguard feature, I think it makes him feel safer. He freaked out last night b/c DH forgot to do it up, it was enough motivation to get him to do it though! The Vivo fits smaller kids nice, the Monterey is very hit and miss I feel. We were going to get an Oobr till we won the PW. I still really want it, but it'll have to wait till at least next year and then I'm sure I'll want something different!

Thank you! She is still 4lbs shy of 40 - if she continues at the same rate she has been, she won't be 40lbs for 2 years! I will check out the vivo and the OObr

Because she's so petite, I would choose either the Graco Turbobooster or the Recaro Vivo. Either of those should provide an excellent belt fit :thumbsup:

ETA: The Clek Oobr also has a low bottom minimum and seems to fit littles very well.

Thank you! I will check out all 3 - I can try turbos at BRU but the other 2 I think I would have to order online

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Evan is the same way. He was 35# at 4 and 36# now at 5, lol. He'll never get to use the PW, which is sad b/c it's nice to have seats the kids can share and I think the SG feature would be nice on smaller kids.

Kat_Momof3

definitely booster... I think most 7yr old (barring any size, maturity, special needs issues) need to know how to use a booster just because you never know when an emergency could occur and she'd need to use one... and because if she went somewhere with friends, I just wouldn't want to have to make her use a harnessed seat when a lot of her friends won't even be in anything.

I'd look at the Oobr, the Vivo, and the Turbobooster. I'd also check out the Parkway SG.

emars002

definitely booster... I think most 7yr old (barring any size, maturity, special needs issues) need to know how to use a booster just because you never know when an emergency could occur and she'd need to use one... and because if she went somewhere with friends, I just wouldn't want to have to make her use a harnessed seat when a lot of her friends won't even be in anything.
I'd look at the Oobr, the Vivo, and the Turbobooster. I'd also check out the Parkway SG.

I know! I think she would be devestated! She has never given me a hard time until very recently and like I said, it is only with the safeguard so I see no reason to swap out the nauti or frontier yet - but let the kid have one booster and then she'll have it if/when she rides with friends (which is probably unlikely b/c I am paranoid) I really like the pkwy SG but I don't know when she will be 40lbs - it may be another year or 2:(

emars002

Woo hoo! found a TB at target and got the gift card!!!!!!!!!!! I will try DD out in out when she gets home from a birthday party with dh:love: Thanks everyone!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just bit the bullet and got two turbos for my almost-six-year-old to train in. Good luck to you, I know I'm going insane worrying now! Even though I KNOW she'll be fine.

emars002

I just bit the bullet and got two turbos for my almost-six-year-old to train in. Good luck to you, I know I'm going insane worrying now! Even though I KNOW she'll be fine.

LOL! i will be right there with you! It makes me nervous but I am trying to be logical!

fyrfightermomma

EEK! I got one today and E rode in it today. I faired better than I thought and she did awesome. The TB fit was perfect. We are only using it for when I go into labor and then not again until she turns 5 this summer but its nice to have "just in case".

Hope your DDs do good as well!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC