Children's Vitamins? What kind do you use?

lovinwaves

I am wanting to start DD and DS on vitamins, since Dh and I are faithful vitamin takers. My question is, which one? Which kind? What Brand? Do they only need one multivitamin. My Kids ages are in my siggie! Thanks! :)

ADS

southpawboston

i don't think multivitamins hurt any, but if your kids get a healthy diet to begin with, i also don't think they're needed. our ped is pretty liberal when it comes to the medical establishment, and he is of the opinion that vitamins are great supplements, but only if needed. i.e., if you child is extremely picky and doesn't get enough of a certain food group, then they're a good idea. but if your child eats plenty of fruits, vegetables, eggs, meat, fish, good oils, etc... then no need. on the other hand, i've heard that getting too much of one type of vitamin is not good...

JaRylan

I have just started Rylan on the Vita-Bears Kid’s Chewable Multivitamin from Melaleuca. My only problem is he tries to swallow them whole since he is used to taking daily pills...being that they are shaped like koala bears they don't go down the same as a pill. He does eat a pretty balanced diet (too many vegetables if anything, lol).

Good luck with finding something you like.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
They are just supplements & a healthy diet is all that's really needed unless kiddo's Ped says otherwise -- but because Leila is a sugar fiend, I compromise by getting the Gummy Bear + Gumball vitamins (only 1 of each per day) :)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Haven't ya'll ever seen the Metamucil commercial where the girl is lugging carts full of broccoli? (and milk? I can't remember)

Based on what I've read, we just can't get enough of the stuff we need in our food, so we need vitamins.

My son takes a flintstones each day and I use a powdered sodium ascorbate (vit C) in his o.j each day - about 1000 mg a day, plus about 125 mg of calcium.

We'll be adding omega's in the next few months.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I use One A Day bugs bunny and friend for kids who don't always eat a balanced diet.

Just make sure, whatever you get that it is ok for your kids ages!

Dillipop

I just picked up some target brand gummy vitamins that are just like little critters. They have no artificial flavoring and recommended is no more than 2 per day. DS loves his candy bear vitamins! And I feel better because it is just vitamins and not all that extra stuff.

scatterbunny

I can't find a kid's vitamin that I am happy with. The ones that aren't full of artificial colors and flavors don't have "enough" of all the vitamins I want Hayley to have. So I'm still on the search for a good one for us.

Mark and I take a mega multivitamin and mineral daily, he also takes extra calcium and magnesium and zinc. I also take extra B vitamins. We both take fish oil, and swear by it.

Hayley used to take a butterscotch-flavored liquid flaxseed/pumpkin seed oil that provided the same benefits as fish oil, we mixed it into her maple-flavored oatmeal, but we ran out and the store here quit carrying it! Now they only have strawberry-flavored stuff that Hayley can taste, no matter what we mix it with.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Haven't ya'll ever seen the Metamucil commercial where the girl is lugging carts full of broccoli? (and milk? I can't remember)
I haven't seen that, but it sounds funny -- I trust The American Journal of Pediatrics over a commercial, though ;)

Morganthe

I started dd around 12 months with "My First Flintstones", primarily for the extra Vit D since I was still bfing & we were very NORTH, so she didn't get a lot of sunlight in winter. It was much easier than trying to give her the liquid nasty tasting Vit D supplement that her Peds wanted her to take.

I thought it was ridiculous that they were so dyed in color. The red was horrible. It made her look like lipstick gone wild. So I'd separate those out. The Grape & Orange were popular and she chewed those quickly.

I tried other vitamins since then, but if they have Iron in them, dd won't have anything to do with those. :( I don't particularly care for the Gummi style that's taken over the shelves because she has deep crevased molars, just like I do, and the gummi sticks down inside. It's really difficult to brush them clean.

The Best I found was at Target -- "Hello Kitty", very mild food coloring, comfortable size to chew on, and she really liked them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the tablet version for the last several months. I hope more appear.

canadianmom2three

Our kids are currently on the Jamieson Arthur vitamins, but they had really liked some others I got from the health food store, can't remember what they were called though...DS is the only one I am really concerned about taking them, he is the pickiest eater ever - hates all types of meat, and all veggies except cuccumber...we used to fight something awful at mealtimes, with us trying to make him try more foods, him gagging and choking them back etc, but I decided to lay off before I give him some sort of eating complex...hence the vitamins;)

scatterbunny

DS is the only one I am really concerned about taking them, he is the pickiest eater ever - hates all types of meat, and all veggies except cuccumber...we used to fight something awful at mealtimes, with us trying to make him try more foods, him gagging and choking them back etc, but I decided to lay off before I give him some sort of eating complex...hence the vitamins;)

Sounds exactly like Hayley and how our dinner-time routine used to go! :p

Tara

I avoid ones with artifical colors, sweeteners and whatever.

I've not gotten any in a long time, but... I believe they are Lil Critters ?? VitaBeans I bought them at Meijer, not sure where else they can be found.

Oh, and these are just a "vitamin" supplement, not mineral. I won't do iron supplements at all.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Lil Critters / Vitabean -- we used to do those ... but I couldn't find them in the city we lived in temporarily & I've still got stock of the horribly dyed stuff (I think denial has me not wanting to learn what's up with dyes: if I do I'm likely to freak out & I just can't afford financially to change our daily habits when I still have stuff that can be ingested even if it's not the *best*) :eek:

Tara

(I think denial has me not wanting to learn what's up with dyes: if I do I'm likely to freak out & I just can't afford financially to change our daily habits when I still have stuff that can be ingested even if it's not the *best*) :eek:

I can relate ;) Oh if only I could AFFORD a healthier diet. Until then, I plug my ears to some things so I can continue to eek by.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC