Need Cheap Double for Disney in 1.5 weeks!!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Okay, I definitely left this to last minute. I do not want to take my E3V2 or my P3 Pramette to Disney. I don't want to risk losing either of them to the airlines or the park. So I'm looking for a cheap double stroller that won't drive me too crazy. If I can recoup some cost and sell it when we get back than I could go a bit more expensive.

Aiden is 35lbs 43in and will probably spend most time in the stroller if he could. He is always on the back of my footboard on the P3.
Mikkel is 25lbs 33in and will definitely be in the stroller full time.

Any ideas on what would work? I've never looked for cheap options before and am totally out of the loop.

Help! Please!
Jen in Canada

ADS

southpawboston

if you want lightweight, we just got a maclaren twin triumph for $225, and it folds very compact and weighs only 22 lbs. they hold 110 lbs total, so they're good for 55 lb per seat. the downside is that there isn't much storage space in the baskets. maclarens hold their value so you could probably resell it on your local craigslist (do you have CL in canada?) for 75% of the original cost, if it is still like new...

mominabigtruck

Are you looking for a side by side or a tandem? If you want side by side I would get a graco duo rider, they're like $120 and work just as well as some of the more expensive ones. If I were going to get a cheap tandem I would probably go with a kolcraft. They're not the best tandem out there but they're really inexpensive and I personally don't think the gracos hold their value that well because someone always has them on sale. And plus if you said your oldest always wants to ride I wouldn't want a sit n stand because then there's no place for him to sleep if he gets tired later in the day.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Okay, I would like an umbrella fold side by side or tandem. It just needs to be an umbrella fold so it will fold small for gatechecking at the plane and storing in the hotel room at night.

I'm thinking the Maclaren or maybe Inglesina. I have tried a Maclaren in real life here and it steered like a dream with 60lbs of kids in it. Does anyone know how the Inglesina Twin Swift compares to the Maclaren? I can get one for $350 and they are usually over 425 plus tax new (in Canada, crazy inflation!).

I definitely hate the DuoRider. I used one for two months with only 35lbs of kids in them and it was impossible to steer and hard to push.

jen

southpawboston

keep in mind that the inglesina swift is only good for 70 lbs total; you are close to that with your two kids (68 lbs). i can't say we've compared it directly with the maclaren, but we went with the maclaren because of the higher weight capacity and because it is 3 lbs lighter than the inglesina. otherwise, based on all the reviews i've read, they are very comparable in terms of ease of use, size, etc...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
keep in mind that the inglesina swift is only good for 70 lbs total; you are close to that with your two kids (68 lbs). i can't say we've compared it directly with the maclaren, but we went with the maclaren because of the higher weight capacity and because it is 3 lbs lighter than the inglesina. otherwise, based on all the reviews i've read, they are very comparable in terms of ease of use, size, etc...

They're actually 60 lbs (35 and 25) and both gain weight slooowly. Plus I really just want it for Disney. My DH found one in LA on craigslist for 75. It is grey. He's e-mailed the seller to see if they'll maybe bring it to the airport and meet us there. Hopefully, that would be an awesome deal.

Otherwise we've thought of purchasing one once we get there. I'm going to check out what stores are near disney in Anaheim and maybe we can just do that. Both the Maclaren and the Inglesina are way cheaper in the US than here so that might be our best bet.

Anyone from the area that can tell me where to go?

Jen in Canada
Aiden - FF RN
Mikkel - RF MA

Simplysomething

Ahem, a certain person I know went to disney a three/four years ago...
with her then...3 year old ds and her then 7 year old nephew.
She rented one of those ginormous double strollers from the park.

worked great. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If I'm not too late I totally recommend the strollers AT the park -- if you can afford it.... I was sooooo happy not to have my own stroller when Leila spilled drink after drink in theirs :rolleyes: :p I just wore a backpack to hold anything important & left other unimportant stuff in the stroller when we parked it for rides (the staff held my backpack during rides in necessary): I just brough along an extra blankey for Leila to sit on instead of the hard/hot plastic.

Otherwise, I'm all about the chunky red wagons! :D

broken4u05

This might be too late but cheap but with nothing extra is a jeep side by side that i got from BRU for $80. Has nothing on it but i have put a backpack and bags on the handles no problem and i think it steers great. Good luck

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I need one of my own strollers that will recline. Mikkel will probably be napping in the stroller as I don't think he will nap well in the hotel room with us (and his brother) in the same room. So most likely will be crashing in the stroller, which means I need pretty much a full recline as he flips over and sleeps pretty well on his tummy in the stroller.

I found a few Maclaren Twin Techno's for under $240 on Craigslist in the Disney area, so I'm hoping that maybe I can work something out with one of the sellers to get it over to our hotel room. I could use that for the week and then sell it back home here for what I paid and would not be out any money.

I also found a Maclaren Rally Twin on BabyDealz for 199 and 210. I'm just scared that with only 9 days left it won't get here in time. Customs is so slow sometimes!

The other option is to just suck it up and take the P3 which I love. DH says "it's just a stroller and if something happens we can replace it". He's right of course, my only thought now that I was seriously going to get a double is ... maybe I do need a double at Disney.

Almost five year old who does not really like to walk (trained him too well to stay in the stroller, lol) combined with approximately 8 hour days over 5 days. Do I need a double? Will I be going insane if I don't have one by the end of the trip? We want this to be fun, so having a whining child will be no fun. We've already spent so much on the trip, what's another $200 right? Anyone want to justify a new stroller purchase for me ;)

Jen in Canada, who likes buying strollers and car seats way too much!

By the way, our hotel is right across the street so we won't be taking trams, busses, ect. for transport... just old fashioned walking everywhere.

lovinwaves

I would take the P3 since you know your little one will sleep well in it, and the five year old can hitch a ride if need be. You could always rent a single stroller at the Park if you absolutely need to, and your husband could push that.

When DH and I go to outdoor events we take our P3 and our Maclaren Quest. We both end up with one stroller each but it works good for us. That also comes in handy if I need to go one place and he needs to go to another. Like if I need to do a diaper change then I only have to take one child with me instead of two :) Just a thought ;)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I would take the P3 since you know your little one will sleep well in it, and the five year old can hitch a ride if need be. You could always rent a single stroller at the Park if you absolutely need to, and your husband could push that.

Exactly what I was thinking! LOL!
Plus, you won't be extra spending money on a twin just to use for this trip! At least your DH said if something happens to your P3 you can get it replaced!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Exactly what I was thinking! LOL!
Plus, you won't be extra spending money on a twin just to use for this trip! At least your DH said if something happens to your P3 you can get it replaced!

You guys are totally right. I guess we'll take the P3 and hope nothing goes wrong. I do love my P3.

Thanks for listening to me rant all day,

Jen

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Hi Jen,
we are going to dinsey in .... 18 DAYS! I'm excited... great resource is www.disboards.com if you look there about stroller threads you will find a TON of them, NEVER had i seen a post about a stroller stollen, maybe a mix up with park stroller since there are a lot of thoes, ect... but never on just up and stollen.
we are taking a chep safety first tandem stroller i found on clearance at target... for $85 not bad at all.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Hi Jen,
we are going to dinsey in .... 18 DAYS! I'm excited... great resource is www.disboards.com if you look there about stroller threads you will find a TON of them, NEVER had i seen a post about a stroller stollen, maybe a mix up with park stroller since there are a lot of thoes, ect... but never on just up and stollen.
we are taking a chep safety first tandem stroller i found on clearance at target... for $85 not bad at all.

Actually one of the latest threads there is about a stroller being stolen. They ended up finding it at the end of the night, but there were a few others that posted on the same thread saying their's had been taken too. Got me a little worried, but I figure that is what insurance is for. Hopefully nothing happens as it does seem to not be a common occurrence.

I actually had a seller from Craigslist e-mail me back saying she would bring a Maclaren Twin Techno to my hotel for me. I'm really excited and won't have to worry about having a whinny child at the end of the day who doesn't want to walk! I also got a great deal on it... as long as it all pans out!:D Crossing my fingers for my new stroller... now, how do I explain to DH that I just NEED to keep it and not sell it when we get back?:p

Jen in Canada
Aiden FF RN
Mikkel RF MA

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We're back! I scored a Maclaren Twin Techno brand new never used with all pieces including warranty card not filled out for $240... pretty amazing since they cost more than $500 CDN up here!

I am so glad I had the double. Aiden was in it constantly between rides. The Maclaren was light and steered easily through the crowds and both boys slept like logs in it though the amazing fireworks display, lol! It also folded down super quick with jackets still in the baskets when we took the monorail for a ride.

I had also forgotten how great the hoods are on these strollers... they go all the way down to the napper bar area (there is no actual napper bar) when the seats are in their upright position. This was fantastic for keeping sun out of the eyes!

Gate checking at the airport was really easy... I made it idiot proof for them by removing the hoods and putting them in my checked baggage along with all the other goodies that came with the stroller.

I think my E3V2 would have been overkill at Disneyland, but the Maclaren was just perfect!

Oh yeah, DH says I can keep it until we're done having babies. Yay! It really does make the perfect double travel stroller and we are heading out to the other side of Canada for Easter.

I also took my Radian and folded and stored it in the overhead bin of the airplane for travelling and put Aiden into his little brothers Marathon on the plane. The flight was completely booked so Mikkel got stuck on our laps, so I was really glad that I had the Radian to come onboard as carry-on.

The Radian installed well in the shuttle van by twisting the belt stalk three full twists and the seatbelts did have locking retractors so I did not have to use a locking clip. It took me about two minutes to get a good install. The Marathon, of course, took five seconds!

Thanks for all the great replies!

Jen in Canada
Aiden 5yrs in March, 35lbs, 43in, FF Radian
Mikkel 22mo, 25lbs, 32in, RF Marathon

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC