Suggestions for a 7 month and 5 year old- Marathon Allie on Sale

pinkgirlmommy

I have a 7 month old (15 lbs) and a five year old (40 pounds) that are both on the shorter side. I am using a Safesaet for baby and got a True Fit as a gift for her when she outgrows her Safeseat (thanks to this site). My 5 year old was in a high back booster until I started reading that she shoul be harnessed still last year and put her in the True Fit. I am starting to decide what to do next and I have a couple of questions.
First- Is it best to keep baby in the Infant seat as long as possible as far as safety goes? It is convenient but she is starting to want to be more upright. Of course when she sleeps the infant seat is more cozy. When did most of you switch to a convertible? Second, if I switch her soon, isn't it still too soon to put my 40 pound 5 year old in a Booster? If so, I either need to get her another seat and move baby to the True Fit, or get baby a new seat and keep her in the True Fit which she loves. I love it because she can lock herself in now.
If I need to get another seat I want something girly. I have the Monet True Fit and love it but would like to try something different too. I really love the pink and brown patterns. I have been reading about the MyRide and am interested in it. That is what I have been thinking about getting- The Patina Bloom MyRide. It is on sale on BabyAge for $170. However today I saw that the cutest carseat ever- the Britax Marathon in Allie is on sale for $189.99 . I haven't really read up on these since they have always been out of my price range so what can you tell me? I LOVE the pattern but I want to LOVE the seat too. Any advice?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't buy a convertible for a 40 pound five year old. I'd look at the Nautilus in Mariposa, or the pink Frontier.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you're buying for the baby...

A rear facing seat is safe as long as it fits the child using it and is installed properly. It doesn't matter if it's an infant seat or a convertible. Some of us have never used an infant seat.

You can lower the foot and make the Safeseat more upright, if you'd like. If the foot is all the way down and she'd still like to be more upright then you can switch seats. But as long as she fits in both either is completely safe.

Wendy

pinkgirlmommy

Thanks. If I get a convertible it would be for baby and I would keep my 5 year old in the True Fit until she outgrows it since it is working so well for us. I have a Graco Turbo Booster that I could move her into when she outgrows the True Fit but I'm not sure how good they are (got if before I discovered this site so haven't read about them yet). Yeah I was thinking about the Nautilus too. It seems like baby can stay in the Infant seat for a while. Then when I move her my 5 year old will be 6. At that point she still won't be ready for a booster from what I am reading so the Nautilus would be a good bet. It looks like I should wait a while to buy anything. I didn't realize I could tilt the base on the Safeseat. I will try that.
Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Why wouldn't she be ready at six? Most kids are ready between five and six years old. Some are not (like my DD1).

The Turbo is a fine booster. Well liked and recommended around here. Did you put the screws in the armrest?

An Allie at that price would be fine, especially since there's another rear facing seat waiting in the wings. But if you have time I'd sit and wait and see if anything else comes up. If the Allie is gone then you can buy another Marathon and simply get an Allie cover somewhere. Might take some hunting, but it may be very easy to do.

Wendy

pinkgirlmommy

Thanks for the suggestions. So between the Nautilus and the Turbo, which one is best in your opinion? I bought a Rachel Nautilus 1/2 off at Target tonight and am trying to decide if I should keep it. I will be able to keep her harnessed to 65 pounds this way, correct?

Thanks,

Kristi

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Or until her shoulders go over the top slot, whichever comes first. The Nautilus should get you about another year of harnessing past the TF.

Wendy

cookie123

Most kids outgrow the height of a seat before the weight limit. You could start booster training your 5 year old and then when baby is ready for the True Fit, switch her. Then you don't have to buy any seat.

On the other hand, I like the older kids harnessed. I've only used the Turbo booster and the Safe Voyage, and so far, I don't like them. They don't stay in place and both SEEM to provide so little protection compared to a car seat. That is only my perspective, of course. Boosters are safe for kids who fit in them and are using them properly. I'm just resistant to change, I think. It's probably my age!

pinkgirlmommy

Well I found a "Rachel" Nautilus at Target for $80 last night and I we.nt ahead and bought it. We can use the Turbobooster in our second car that way.
Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC