Question Radian questions Please help

csully4

How tall of a torso will they fit?
What is the average age a kid will outgrow the radian?
I was thinking of getting 2 for my middle 2 kids.

Hailey 7 Yrs. 47" 45 lbs.
Tad 4 yrs. 43" 35 lbs.
These seats will be used for FF only as my rows are too close together to fit RF.
Please help me with this. These are my last two seats to purchase.

ADS

armywife12

Re: Radian questions Pleae help

Top slots have been measured to be around 17-17.5 inches I believe. Most will outgrow these seats around 6-6.5 yrs old probably. I would only get these seats in your situation if you had a younger child to pass them down to or if those were the only 2 seats that would fit. Are you considering them because you are short on space and need a narrow seat?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

They have 17.5" top slots. BUT, you can use them over the top slots until the ears are at the top of the shell. BUT, most kids are uncomfortable that way.

Piper outgrew 17.5" seats at 6.5 years. Some seven year olds with short torsos will continue to fit. Your four year old should without a problem.

I'd buy one for your four year old, and if the seven year old fits then get another.

Wendy

csully4

I was looking to get them because they are narrow. I cannot put three across according to my vans owners manual, but I will need enough room to put another person between 2 seats in at least 2 rows. With my kids and daycare kids i have 3 in boosters and 5 in car seats of some kind.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Here's a progression of my dd1 growing out of the RN (at a little over age 7, she crammed into it when she was 9, but it was horrible for her, and just to show how far above the top slots she was at 64 pounds)... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/BitsyRadian107#
Yeah, it's probably a great choice for the 4 yo (my own dd2 is 4 and just barely over the second to top slots, she's got 2+ years to go comfortably in this seat).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are your middle belts lap shoulder, or lap only? If they are lap only, you should not put a person there... lap-only belts are very dangerous.

I wonder how wide a Maestro is? I would suggest a Nautilus for your 7yo but it's a bit wide... given that she's lightweight, the 50lb limit would probably be fine, and the harness is just about as high as a Nautilus.

She would probably also be fine in a booster.

You can probably get a non-SL Radian 65 for a pretty good price... no need for the SL unless you're going to RF to a high weight (or really need to use LATCH, that would be another reason.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can probably get a non-SL Radian 65 for a pretty good price... no need for the SL unless you're going to RF to a high weight (or really need to use LATCH, that would be another reason.)

The Radian65SL rear faces to 40, like the non-SL, not 45 like the 80SL or XTSL.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC