Car seat requirements in the Netherlands

U

Unregistered

I am going to the Netherlands with my 7 month old. He's still in his infant Graco Safe Seat (rear-facing bucket seat). I was hoping I could just take it along and use it there. He also fits in our convertible Alpha Omega seat (I think Eddie Bauer?), but I'd rather not lug that thing along... Anyone have any idea what the rules are there? I tried to find the regulations on their travel safety website, but no luck. I do read Dutch, if necessary. Thanks!!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
As far as I'm aware, it's illegal to use your seat there--but in reality, who's going to check? The practicality of it versus purchasing a whole new seat--one you're unfamiliar with, and then installing in an unfamiliar car...wow. It's difficult to obey a law that would potentially result in improperly restraining your child.

Check with the airline you're flying--you might not be able to use a RF seat on board the plane depending on whether or not it's a European airline or an American one.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

As far as I'm aware, it's illegal to use your seat there--but in reality, who's going to check? The practicality of it versus purchasing a whole new seat--one you're unfamiliar with, and then installing in an unfamiliar car...wow. It's difficult to obey a law that would potentially result in improperly restraining your child.

Check with the airline you're flying--you might not be able to use a RF seat on board the plane depending on whether or not it's a European airline or an American one.

-Nicole.

Thanks for the quick response! I think I may have to check whether the family there can round something up we can use. I guess I also wanted to know whether their requirements are similar to North American ones. When we went to Australia last year, I wasn't too happy with the seat that came with the rental vehicle. Far sub-standard to what my guys have here! 3-point harness, no chest clip - the harness kept slipping off my 1.5 yr old's shoulders if we got it tight enough. :(

I'm not planning on using a car seat on the plane. I don't have a seat for him - he's just on my lap.

QuassEE

Keep in mind that when you're borrowing/renting a seat, you're then trusting the owners of that seat with your child's life. There are very few people in this world I can honestly say I would trust my child's life to. That said--it's probably best not to borrow or rent a child restraint.

As for European standards--similar, but a few key differences. No chest clips, often times lower weight limits (except Scandinavian countries).. No top tethers, but more footprops and rebound bars. Three-point infant restraints are common. If used properly every time, I have no issues with European seats...I do have issues with questionable borrowed and rented ones.

-Nicole.

Morganthe

AA Driving requirements for Netherlands .pdf file

A while back,(A year ago?) I came across regulations for non-EU residents travelling with carseats. I can't locate it now (My 'favorites' got wiped ), but just like in the US, it read that you could travel with a US/Canadian carseat during your trips LEGALLY. You were not required to purchase or rent European carseats just for a vacation. This was not referring to military personnel under SOFA act either, just regular vacationers.

QuassEE

Thanks, girlie :) Many of the Europeans here have said it's illegal to use foreign carseats, but then this really brings up the big question--how can something be illegal throughout Europe, when laws are generated within the borders of each individual country?

-Nicole.

Morganthe

but then this really brings up the big question--how can something be illegal throughout Europe, when laws are generated within the borders of each individual country?

Pssst, because they forget that Europe is like Africa, a continent, not a country. :duck:

And then I see daily around here kids not even in booster seats, sitting in the front seat, in new vehicles WITH airbags -- kids the same size as dd in her 5pt harness and/or booster.
The law is very strict on booster seat requirements & kids IN the back seat unless there are other children filling the spots.

It's like everywhere else -- there's the law and then there's the ignored laws because parents know best or it's no big deal. :rolleyes: :(

Adventuredad

Europe consist of many countries but there is only one car seat standard which is called ECE R44. Car seats must be certified with this standard or they are illegal. It's not legal for foreigner to use a US car seat in Europe, doesn't matter if it's for a vacation of one day or whole year.

but then this really brings up the big question--how can something be illegal throughout Europe, when laws are generated within the borders of each individual country?

Car seat laws are not generated within each country. Countries have made small tweak, such as minimum requirements for seat belts. Car seats must be certified ECE R44 which is why fore example Sweden had to phase out the older Swedish T-standard from the 1970's. Interestingly, this standard was stricter than any car seat standard globally except the brand new Swedish "Plus Test".

The law basically says anyone under 135 cm tall (53 inches ) must be in a car seat restraint of some kind. Some countries have made small changes to this rule, a bit stricter, but it's details.

Like other posters said the risk of anyone noticing is basically zero. It's just like using a European car seat in US.

I personally think anyone bringing a car seat on a trip is doing a great thing and really thinking of car seat safety ahead of time. Who knows what seat you wll be stuck with over there? Please double check with your airline before flying since there are so many rules regarding using car seats on planes. This is usually more an issue when traveling back to US.

Misuse in Europe is just like in US huge although some countries are better than others.....

Have a nice trip!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC