Mazda CX-7 vs. CX-9

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Can anyone weigh in on these vehicles? I would really like to put three across when we have our next one... looking for Spring '08 to have our third. The thought is that if I can put three across I can reach back and hand things to all of them very easily. Whereas if we kept the van, DS1 would have to go in the third row and I would not be able to reach him at all. We take 4 - 5 7hr long trips per year and this would not be a good situation!

We just bought a Mazda Speed3 and I love it. It is so much fun to drive. We put winter tires on it (Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on 17"rims) and it drives fantastic through the snow. Much better than the van in fact. So, now that I know we like Mazda we were looking at the CX-7 and CX-9. I'm not totally positive that we would ever use the third row but I'm used to the van and not sure if I want to give up that third row... even though I almost never use it!

My other thought is that they just debuted a concept speed version of the CX-7. So do I wait until that comes out or just pick a vehicle now and go with it? Decisions, decisions...

Jen in Canada
Aiden FF in a RN (4.8 yrs, 35lbs, 43in)
Mikkel RF in a MA (22mo, 25lbs, 33in)

ADS

southpawboston

jen, are you sure you're not me??

we recently bought a mazda3 (not the speed3) and have a dedicated set of dunlop wintersport M3's on separate rims for winter as well!! and anyone who can state the brand and model (and size) of tire on their car gets extra points in my book ;).

we have two kids in our Mz3 and i wouldn't want to add any more :), although with narrow enough carseats, 3 across is probably feasible. the CX-7 looks promising in that regard, since it is a little wider. and the informedforlife.org safety score looks very promising (once the IIHS scores come in, the score will most likely get even better--i can't imagine it won't do well in IIHS testing).

as for waiting for a possible speed-version of the CX-7, that's something only you can decide. it won't be any different from the standard CX-7 in terms of carseat fitment or safety. if anything, the speed version may be slightly safer because it will undoubtedly handle better, but it won't be safer in terms of crashworthiness.

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
jen, are you sure you're not me??

we recently bought a mazda3 (not the speed3) and have a dedicated set of dunlop wintersport M3's on separate rims for winter as well!! and anyone who can state the brand and model (and size) of tire on their car gets extra points in my book ;).

we have two kids in our Mz3 and i wouldn't want to add any more :), although with narrow enough carseats, 3 across is probably feasible. the CX-7 looks promising in that regard, since it is a little wider. and the informedforlife.org safety score looks very promising (once the IIHS scores come in, the score will most likely get even better--i can't imagine it won't do well in IIHS testing).

as for waiting for a possible speed-version of the CX-7, that's something only you can decide. it won't be any different from the standard CX-7 in terms of carseat fitment or safety. if anything, the speed version may be slightly safer because it will undoubtedly handle better, but it won't be safer in terms of crashworthiness.

I am required to know just about everything on this car. DH ordered back in August and has been on MazdaSpeed forums ever since letting me know every single little thing about it. Not knowing what tires he has on it would kill him, lol. Oh well, he listens to me rant about carseats and strollers, and he's letting me buy a new double just for our trip to Disney... I'm too scared to take my expensive ones there and get them stollen, but that's a whole other topic.

If I thought I wanted a dedicated 6 speed I would probably wait until the speed version comes out, however, I'm not sure that a 6 speed would be the best when I need to be handing things back to the kids. DH usually has the car so I'm not driving long trips in it where I need to hand stuff back so I haven't been able to test that theory out yet. I do love my standards though. I'm making it harder on myself.

I guess I first need to decide whether I want the extra two seats in the back of the CX-9. Has anyone else gone from a minivan (or 7 passenger for that matter) down to a 5 passenger vehicle? What did you think? Did you miss the extra space/seating?

Why or why can't I just be uber-rich and have both?

Jen in Canada
Aiden (FF RN)
Mikkel (RF MA)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
only way to appreciate zoom-zom! ;)

what's DH's screen name on the forums (if you don't mind)... i'm on all the mazda forums as well...

AlbertaMS3, He won't mind. I told him there's a guy on my carseat board that has a mazda with winter tires. He was impressed. The man loves his tires!

Jen in Canada
Aiden FF RN
Mikkel RF MA

M

mizzle

Does anyone know if the CX-9 have LATCH anchors on more than two seats (2nd row's left and right)? I know CX-7 only has two seats with LATCH but I am wondering if CX-9 has added one to the middle seat or have the 3rd row seats also be equipped with LATCH as well.

Best Regards,
Jasper

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Does anyone know if the CX-9 have LATCH anchors on more than two seats (2nd row's left and right)? I know CX-7 only has two seats with LATCH but I am wondering if CX-9 has added one to the middle seat or have the 3rd row seats also be equipped with LATCH as well.

Best Regards,
Jasper

We were at the dealership for our MS3 the other day and checked out the CX-7 and CX-9.

There are only two LATCH positions in the center row in both outboard positions on the 9. There is a 3rd top tether anchor in the center row middle position on the back of the seat. There are NO tether anchors in the third row, nor can any tether anchors be added back there per the owners manual. You are allowed to put a child seat in the third row but only if it does not require the use of upper tether anchors. We are definitely not getting the 9 as the third row is a complete waste of space for us.

HTH,
Jen

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC