Lending a carseat out

Mom2three

I have a friend who has a 7 month old. He weighs 23lbs, and has outgrown his broken SR22. The handle was broken. I offered to let her use my KF30 or any of my other seats (most likely just to keep) because she can't buy a new one right now. I am wondering though (I have never lent out a seat) if I should just give her one that I don't expect to get back. I know she would take care of anything I lent her, but when it comes to seats I just don't know how I feel.

I have:
KF30 (use it for DS because it's easier right now during winter)
CCO
RN with 33lb RFing limit
BLVD with 35lb RFing limit
TF (woot seat, and probably the most inexpensive of my seats, but DD uses it daily)

So, what would you give? I know with her DD (same age as mine) she didn't ERF. She just didn't think it mattered. But her DD didn't hit 20lbs until 18months. She did say she would keep her DS RFing for at least a year, which is better than turning him now since all she has are FF only seats. I use all of my seats, but can totally live w/o one to keep another kid safer. I would just give her the BLVD because it's my least favorite, but I don't know how long he will last in it.

Ohhh, and one more thing. I do get to buy a new seat this month or next if I ever decide what to get. So I can potentially replace any of my seats if I find I really want it back.

ETA: The Coccoro stays. It wouldn't do her much good anyway.

ADS

monstah

Did you tell her about the Scenera?

I don't let someone borrow a seat unless I am OK giving it to them as a gift without getting upset. They are so easy to get yucked on, peed on, tossed around, etc. I would lend it out and decide what to do with it next when I got it back depending on the condition I get it back in. Am I making any sense??

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I'd probably give the Boulevard. If she's not going to ERF anyway it will definitely get him to at least one. (And call SK on that Radian, I bet you'll find out it's good to 35 lbs.)

I just put my Uptown in the car of a friend who had my Scenera in her car when she was hit in the parking lot. (It was unoccupied and insurance is refusing to pay for replacement. All she has for this child is a Radian which doesn't fit rear-facing in her car. Child is under 2. I don't care if I never get my seat back, I want him RF!)

Mom2three

I still don't know how to multi-quote.

So, I am fine with not getting any one of the seats back. I would really just rather she not keep using her broken SR22 over the limit. She has FF combo seats, and has said she won't FF for at least another year. (we will see) My first instinct is the BLVD, and I would never ask for it back. But if she does intend to keep him RFing to 18months or so I doubt the BLVD will last. I think the TF would be better for him, although he is short and round.

Oh, and yeah we talked about the Scenera. But, her husband just left her, isn't paying child support, she is working fulltime and paying most of it in daycare. I would rather help her out because we are fortunate enough to have an overabundance of seats, and I don't want her to stress about figuring it out.

ginny4

why wouldn't the BLVD last?:confused: my DS3 who had a FPSVD same size shell & made it til 26m when he reached the weight limit with plenty of shell space. he was a chunk & also quite tall. i'd say most can make it til at least 2yo Rfing in the BLVD.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My 97th %tile super-tall-torsoed (literally her torso is almost half her body length) 20 month old still fits RF in the Boulevard by height with a little room to grow (getting close on weight.) I think it will get most not-super-skinny kids to 35 lbs. RF by height.

Mom2three

Good point. It probably will last him a while. I just saw him at the top of the shell, spilling out of his SR22 and didn't envision him lasting too long in it...but really I don't know much.

Besides KQ, if your super long torsoed kiddo can still fit then that's good for me.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I'd say XT, but I'm coming from a very long-torsoed place. ;) They're both very nice. I do like the RF tether on the Radians. But if you want comfy and cushy MR might suit her better. Any way for her to try both of them out, see which she prefers, see whether she'll have enough growth left in the MR?

Mom2three

Walmart in the next town does have a MR. She oogles it everytime we are there. She has tons of room in the RN. Either one can be passed down to DS, even though I'm wasteful and will probably not do that, but buy him something else, or his own. :shrug-shoulders:

I do have a problem. I'm not in denial.

Kat_Momof3

Ruthie was long torso'd and lasted in the Marathon until she hit the 33lb weight limit for good at 2.5yrs.

I think he'll do fine in the Blvd and that's the one I'd give her... it's really easy to install and use... and it will last him a good long time.

Then I'd get yourself something fun to replace it!

why are you saying she wants blue dots and a cupholder (my mind is gone today)

Mom2three

Why don't you just give them the TF? I'm confused!

Well, I use the TF daily. She says it hurts her. But sometimes she's fine with it. But overall I like it better than the BLVD. I use it a lot FF for 2 friends kids and it's easier to re-adjust for whoever needs it. I really don't like the BLVD much. It fits DS well now, but DDs legs are just cramped and she complains. I would rather have a happy RFer, with room to move.

blue dots and cupholders...deco MR

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC