Turbobooster for 4y/o?

KrystleO_1027

I've posted a few times about the dilemma i've been having, but here it is again.

I watch a little boy full time. He turned 4 the beginning of Dec. He is 34lbs, about 39.5 inches.

His mom moved him to a HBB on his birthday, and i told her i wasn't comfortable with having him in a booster in my car. So he stayed in his Marathon in my car until it just expired. I convinced her to buy him a new harness seat, but she bought him a Cosco HBB/harness which SUCKS, and he barely fits in. So i convinced her to return it.

I know a booster is not IDEAL in this situation, but she doesn't have the money to buy an expensive seat (newly single mother getting NO help from dad), and i know I don't have the money to buy a seat for him.

She said he sits still and straight in her car in the booster he's in (which is another cosco HBB, i'm sure it doesn't fit him well) I told her i would be willing to TRY him in a HBB in my car and see how he fits, and if he can sit still and straight with the temptation of my 12 month old next to him.

So i suggested a turbo booster, because i've heard good things about it on here and it's around the same price of the Cosco seat she bought, and is going to return.

What are the chances that a turbo booster will work for him? Is it a good choice in this situation? What would YOU do? Would feel comfortable in a booster IF he can pass the test?

And...what are the things he needs to pass to be booster safe?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A Turbo will likely be a good fit for him, and if he's used to being boostered, he may be okay.

How often do you drive him? I admit I'm a little uncomfortable with the "better" seat in a lesser-used car. I feel that if you are insisting on certain seats, you should provide them, and that will let her get a better seat for her primary vehicle.

henrietta

Just out of curiousity, I tried my 34 lb, 40" tall, 4.5 yr old in the high back Turbo yesterday. It was pretty much a perfect fit...and if he was mature enough and weighed 40 lbs, I'd be okay w/it in my mil's car. BUT I'd prefer to keep him harnessed wherever possible--my mil has major trouble w/the carseat buckles and worries she won't get it buckled correctly, so a booster may be safer in her car.

And right now, they are $45 and get a $20 gift card back, at Target.

hths

henrietta

henrietta

Does anyone know how high the harness positions are for the maestro? Would he, at 39.5 inches fit harnessed for a while?

I convinced her to buy him a new harness seat, but she bought him a Cosco HBB/harness which SUCKS, and he barely fits in. So i convinced her to return it.

Well, if he fit at all in the harness of a Cosco combo seat, he'll have years left in the harness of the Maestro (Cosco combo seats are only @ 15" tall...) I'd think he'd get to 6, unless he's long torsoed, but I could be wrong, but at least long enough that he'd be more mature and over 40 lbs.

Which slots was he in on the Marathon that expired? The Maestro has another inch or so over the MA (according to those here that have measured it! LOL)

henrietta

Kat_Momof3

while I would PREFER a harnessed seat like the Maestro for him, I do think the Turbobooster will fit him perfectly... heck, My own daughter fit before she was 3... and she was smaller than the boy in question... even scarier was how well she fit in an old-style Parkway.... I let her sit in them when I'd move seats around and had her outside with me, so she wouldn't be able to dash in the street.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If he fits in the Turbo (and he most likely will) and stays sitting in position the whole time, then he is safe to ride in the seat. He would be safER in a harness, but you do what you can do, right?

That said, if he rides with you more often he has more opportunity to be wiggly, slump, etc. Would you be willing to sell the cover from your expired MA to help fund a new seat for him? I see Britax covers go for quite a bit, so if the mom has the $45 it would cost for a TB, and you can sell the cover for $35 you would just be able to cover a Maestro.

henrietta

Henrietta, he was SLIGHTLY over the 2nd to top slots, harness was on the top slot. So he had a little while left in the Marathon, right?

Probably over a year, maybe even closer to 2 depending on how fast he grows.

GL!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC