help me out - blvd install?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Hey guys, I'm doing a check tomorrow for a lady from playgroup who has a blvd. I've never installed one before...never installed a britaxof any kind before at all, actually. I hate going in to a check when I don't actually know what I'm doing. I'll look in the manual of course, but can someone just run down the important points for me please, so I don't look like a bumbling idiot? for some reason, I've noticed it tends to make parents REALLY nervous when I have to read the manual in detail before the check(as opposed to the arrogant firefighters at the perm fitting stationwho are mostly idiots but who act like they know everything, lol), and it makes me feel all self-conscious and bumbly when they start getting nervous, etc. Even though her dd is certainly small enough to RF, it'll probably be FFing, I would bet.
Obviously, I know all the normal stuff, but just you know..if there are any special things I should know about, like how on an AOE you can't use the top slot, etc...things that might not jump out at me, or that i might not know right off the bat, having never installed a britax before?
Thanks.

ADS

natysr

Um. For a FF install, if they are using LATCH, the latch connectors need to be switched. The seat is shipped with them in position for a RFing install.

I think there are videos floating around on how to do this. Check the Britax website.

for the harness adjuster, remember that it tightens in a ratching motion. One long pull to get most of the slack out, then several "pull, releases" to get it really tight.

A seatbelt install is insanely easy FFing.

Oh, and you can read through the manual online, so you will look like you know what you are doing:D

canadiangie

Hmm.

Britax has a V-shaped tether that routes around the head restraint, not between the posts.

HUGS must be on for ff'ing, optional for rf'ing.

harness is adjusted by knobs on either side (either knob will work, and it's often faster to turn both knobs at the same time).

Depending on when her seat was made the LATCH straps need to be switched for ff'ing.

if it's a seatbelt intall and ff'ing you use the lock-off farthest away from the buckle -- though this is pretty obvious since the lock-off is where the shoulder belt naturally falls anyway. if it's a rf'ing seatbelt install you use the lock-off furthest away from the buckle.

make sure you peel back the cover for a rf'ing seatbelt install, and feed the seatbelt under the comfort foam, and behind the crotch buckle (not in front of it as this will pin the crotch strap down and make it even shorter than it already is).

Honestly, I can't think of anything really special about the BV in terms of rules... though I'm sure someone will think of something else that I haven't listed.

I agree, most times parents sort of cringe if you have to consult the manual. I try to be like you when it comes to a seat I've never met. I had to pm someone the other day about the MR65 and got a cheat sheet of pointers... like which set of harness loops is used for each harness slot, etc. :eek: So many new seats up here all at once, and I haven't had a chance to install each one yet. Good thing I have c-s.org to fall back on. :p

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.

We have a BLVD...it is a very easy install any way- you'll be fine. The best tip I can really give you if you're using LATCH is to pull the latch straps through the car seat cover (there is an opening although it may not look like it)...it makes a huge difference. I usually install it RFing pulling them as tight as possible and then feed them through the cover...apply more weight to the seat and I'm able to pull them another inch or more tighter that way.

I'm no tech and everyone covered the basics of the seat so I thought I'd throw this super useful tip in :twocents: I'm pretty sure this works for FFing too.

aclayton74

We have a BLVD...it is a very easy install any way- you'll be fine. The best tip I can really give you if you're using LATCH is to pull the latch straps through the car seat cover (there is an opening although it may not look like it)...it makes a huge difference. I usually install it RFing pulling them as tight as possible and then feed them through the cover...apply more weight to the seat and I'm able to pull them another inch or more tighter that way.

I'm no tech and everyone covered the basics of the seat so I thought I'd throw this super useful tip in :twocents: I'm pretty sure this works for FFing too.

Can you please take pics of how you use the LATCH for me? The BLVD has the LATCH bars and the LATCH strap is below the cover on the bars. I just looked at my MA and I can't figure out what you are saying. Well I am thoroughly confused right now. :confused:

Last edited:

aclayton74

Ah I think I get what you are saying now. Pull the end of the LATCH strap through the slot in the cover as you are installing it.

Ah I think I get what you are saying now. Pull the end of the LATCH strap through the slot in the cover as you are installing it.

I'm so sorry that I wasn't all that clear... I was kinda thinking that Boulevard owners would know that trick but I will be happy to take some pictures. I will be at my mom's tomorrow and she actually asked me to take Olivia's seat out so she can wash the cover- (yes- that's right...I am the only one who knows how to install the seat despite my efforts to teach them) I will take some pics for you and for anyone else who comes across this thread.

Pulling the LATCH strap through that slot in the cover makes a world of difference to me in how tight I can get the seat :thumbsup:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, from what I am gathering, disneyworldnanny is talking about pulling the latch strap through the slot to install the seat with the seatbelt over the cover:thumbsup:

Yes, from what I am gathering, disneyworldnanny is talking about pulling the latch strap through the slot to install the seat with the seatbelt over the cover:thumbsup:

Haha nope, talking about installing with LATCH and pulling the LATCH straps through the cover while putting your weight on the seat in order to get them as tight as possible...I guess I will post pics tomorrow :eek:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Thanks guys.

you know what would have been really helpful though?
Telling me there are TWO seperate latch straps. I've never seen that before. I couldn't figure out how to route the belt through the beltpath, and then i got to the other side...and there was a SECOND latch strap over there!!!! OMG. I'm used to dorel seats, AOE's, titans, sceneras, CS's etc where it's just ONE latch strap that routes THROUGH the seat shell. So..i did end up looking like an ass.

So ya.
Heads up people. there are *2* separate Latch straps on the blvd, and they don't go through the shell, but are hooked around big metal bars on each side.

We're gonna chalk this up as a learning experience.

aclayton74

Haha nope, talking about installing with LATCH and pulling the LATCH straps through the cover while putting your weight on the seat in order to get them as tight as possible...I guess I will post pics tomorrow :eek:

I got it now!! I understand what you are saying. I was just confused for a minute. I actually do it the same way.

Jennifer mom to my 7

THat's what I meant. THose holes in the cover are for a quick seatbelt install without having to remove the cover. I install with latch, and pull the strap through the slots in the cover.

ANd, I guess we all just ASSumed that everyone here knew that the marathon and boulevard have 2 latch straps on bars:eek: THat is what makes installing those 2 seats so easy with latch:love: I guess you didn't check out the online manual at britaxusa.com. Maybe I should have linked it for you. I'm sorry.

After installing my sisters RA in my car tonight I realized that it also has the slots in the cover...so all Britax convertibles must have this feature.

I never thought that it was for the seatbelt but that's good to know :thumbsup:

Maedze

Thanks guys.

you know what would have been really helpful though?
Telling me there are TWO seperate latch straps. I've never seen that before. I couldn't figure out how to route the belt through the beltpath, and then i got to the other side...and there was a SECOND latch strap over there!!!! OMG. I'm used to dorel seats, AOE's, titans, sceneras, CS's etc where it's just ONE latch strap that routes THROUGH the seat shell. So..i did end up looking like an ass.

So ya.
Heads up people. there are *2* separate Latch straps on the blvd, and they don't go through the shell, but are hooked around big metal bars on each side.

We're gonna chalk this up as a learning experience.

awwww, poor thing :p

I'm just astonished you've never seen one before! You weren't kidding, were you?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
awwww, poor thing :p

I'm just astonished you've never seen one before! You weren't kidding, were you?

I've only done a few safekids checks here, and never had a britax seat come through my check. The rest I've just done private checks, and again, never had a britax convertible. My area runs more to cosco highbacks and big kids right after the infant seat, its rare to even see a convertible, and then it's CS's and sceneras. I saw a triumph once. I mean, I have my frontier, but it doesn't have the latch bars with 2 straps thing, it has that asinine beltpath.

So..now I'm a better tech, right? :rolleyes:

Maedze

Credit where credit is due, I love two the two-bar design. It makes it so easy to get a quick, tight, install. No bruised knuckles, no belt paths for squirrel-hands. Knee in the seat, grab a strap on each side, tug and your seat is installed in literally less than 15 seconds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC